• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Praise the Lord!

• Members

I gave blood the other day, and my BP was 143/96.

I am also making some changes, but the BP is an extra incentive.

Oh year - I meant to say "well done"!

(I liked the OP but then forgot the congrats! :huh::D)

Edited by DaveW
Added the congrats!

• Members
59 minutes ago, DaveW said:

I gave blood the other day, and my BP was 143/96.

I am also making some changes, but the BP is an extra incentive.

Oh year - I meant to say "well done"!

(I liked the OP but then forgot the congrats! :huh::D)

Dave, I want to encourage you to make the changes now. Your blood pressure now is what mine was for several years. Every time I went to a doctor or checked it myself, it was "140-something" over "90-something". Never higher and occasionally a little lower. Doctors told me I needed to do something about it, and I did at first, but I slipped back into my old eating habits and lack of proper exercise. In fact, my diet became even more unhealthy due to the need for convenience because of my job and lack of free time. I hadn't even checked my blood pressure in well over a year. Make some changes now so you don't have to make drastic changes like me. Thankfully, I'm happy with the changes I've had to make, but not everyone would be.

• Members

I used to be quite fit - I used to ride 400km per week to work and back, but then I injured myself and was not able to ride for some time. When I started up again I had another health problem which stopped me from getting back into it.

But about two weeks ago I determined to start doing something about my general health - I will not be riding like that for some time, but shorter rides should be do-able.

I have started some diet changes - although my diet in general is not bad - it is the exercise that is the problem.

Last time I started to exercise I re-injured my back, so I will be taking it easy at first, but I know I have to do something.

My blood pressure has never been a problem, until the last few years it is on the high side - not medication high (Which I would probably not take anyway), but "better keep an eye on that" high. But I don't want it to become a problem.

• Members

I take no tablets or medicines if I can get away with it - I just don't like to. Not even paracetamol for a headache unless I am absolutely out with it - which is rare.

I am not opposed absolutely, and we do have various medicines in the house, I just personally don't like to take anything.

Even with my back - which is incredibly painful when it really goes wrong - I won't take anti-inflammatories unless there is no improvement after three or four days.

I can't even really tell you why, but I just do not like filling myself up with artificial stuff. My wife has to take a couple of medicines, and the kids will take paracetamol for headaches, but not me.........

Maybe I am really just a bit dumb? :rolleyes::D

• Members

I'm glad your blood pressure is within range :) But I'm sorry to hear you have a pinched nerve issue in your spine.  I do hope that's all it is, and that it will resolve with rest, as well as hot/cold alternating compresses. Nothing hurts as much as spinal pain (in my opinion).  Prayers sent up for a speedy recovery!

• Members
1 hour ago, Ronda said:

I'm glad your blood pressure is within range :) But I'm sorry to hear you have a pinched nerve issue in your spine.  I do hope that's all it is, and that it will resolve with rest, as well as hot/cold alternating compresses. Nothing hurts as much as spinal pain (in my opinion).  Prayers sent up for a speedy recovery!

It's better today...finally. Still hurts though. I get these about four or five times a year seems like. They usually last about three to five days. Thank you so very much for praying! 

• Members

Today: 132/89

Folks, I don't know how this blood pressure thing normally works, but the way my blood pressure has lowered (in such a short time) seems miraculous to me...and this has been done without the aid of any medication! I still need to get into the 120s over 70s, and though the top number is looking so much better, it seems the bottom number isn't moving as quickly. Perhaps that's due to the fact that I haven't been able to do my walking exercise since I've had this pinched nerve...hope to get back to walking tomorrow.

• Members

I started thinking that there might be people reading this who may want to know exactly what I've done in order to bring my blood pressure down. First, let me state that I'm not a health expert, so don't think that I'm speaking about this with any type of knowledgeable authority. I'm just sharing what I've done and what the Lord has allowed to work for me. When I started this a few weeks ago, my blood pressure was 170-something over 105 (?). When I first started, I sincerely thought that it would take several months to see any noticeable improvement at all; however, in just a few weeks, my blood pressure has lowered to almost normal. From what I've read online, my blood pressure now is within the acceptable range, and I hope to get it lower. So here's what I've done...no medication at all, with only diet and exercise changes.

Exercise is walking (somewhat briskly) for about 45 minutes every other day. That's it. 

My diet...I eat the same thing every day, but I do try to change it up a little a couple of days each week...which I'll explain...but it's not much of a change!

Breakfast:  A glass of 2% or Whole Milk, one slice of whole wheat bread, a banana, and either an apple or citrus fruit.

Snacks (eaten at no set time during the day, but not eaten together at the same time): one slice of whole wheat bread, one piece of dark chocolate (at least over 70% Cocao), an apple, a citrus fruit, and one Quaker Apple and Cinnamon Rice Cake 

Lunch and Dinner both consist of the same thing...a salad. I'll try to describe it...forgive me if it's too much detail! :lol:  The ingredients below are what I combine in one bowl to make two salads. Cup amounts are "guesstimates".

1. Raw Baby Spinach (the only greens)
  2. Raw squash, raw zucchini, and cucumber (6 slices of each about 1/8" thick, then either cut into halves or fourths depending on the size of each).
  3. Bell pepper (about 8 or 10 thin slices, then cut in half)
  4. Raw broccoli (maybe about 1 cup with the florets cut or broken into smaller pieces) 
  5. 1/2 of a large raw carrot cut into very thin slices
  6. 1/2 of a normal size tomato cut into slices
  7. About 1/2 cup (?) each of black beans and kidney beans (I only used dried beans that have been cooked with NOTHING added to them)
  8. About 1/2 cup (?) of garbanzo beans (I only use dried and cooked like the other beans)
  9. A few thinly sliced pieces on raw onion
  10. About 1 cup (?) of cubed chicken breast (seared on both sides in extra virgin olive oil with Italian herbs and Cayenne pepper as the only spices...then baked at 350 for about 30 minutes)
  11. A little bit of Mozzarella cheese 
  12. One serving of raw sliced almonds (about one tablespoon)

The dressing is 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of red vinegar, a dash of Italian herbs, a dash of garlic powder, and about a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.

I said I try to change it up...here's my big change up! I use the dressing above most of the time. However, once or twice a week, I do use a different dressing...2 tablespoons of Ranch dressing, but I add water to it until it's almost as thin as water.

So each day, I drink one glass of milk, eat two slices of whole wheat bread, a banana, one (or two) apples, one (or two citrus fruits), one piece of dark chocolate, one rice cake, and two salads. I also drink at least two liters of water each day.

Now...I will admit that just this last week...I ventured out beyond this normal diet. My wife made me a homemade salsa with all fresh ingredients...and man was it delicious! So I ate a few chips and salsa. I also ate two small pieces of cheese pizza one day, and I ate two homemade soft tacos one evening. Other than that, the diet above has been all I've eaten now for several weeks. What's strange is, after I ate the pizza, I didn't feel very good a while later...as though my body didn't like it. Even though I did venture outside of my diet, I wasn't tempted at all to stop the diet. Thank you Lord!

That's it folks...and it's not only helped my blood pressure. I'm steadily losing weight, and it's helped me in several other ways. The Lord is good! AMEN!