• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Gap theory GARBAGE

• Members
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:25 PM, MountainChristian said:

It takes thousands of years to make a fossil. Yet, they dug up fossilized hardtack from the civil war.  

According to the same people the earth is 4.5 billion years old and space is 13.5 billion years. A 9 billion year gap. 

A 4.27 billion year gap then a dinosaur was found that lived 228 million years ago. Its very odd because the first dinosaur appeared only 65 million years ago. Its bones must have traveled back in time to create this large gap.

Finally man appears 200,000 years ago and about 6,000 years ago civilization started. Another large gap.

We need at least 10,000 years for a bone to fossilize. So 4,000 before civilization the La Brea Woman was ceremonially buried by Indians who had no civilization and her bones turned into a fossil.

Page Museum says she is only 9,000 years old, giving us yet another gap in how long it takes to make a fossil.

Going away from Genesis leads into madness. 

Is "La Brea Woman" fossilized? I thought something had to be organic to be carbon dated.

• Members

It's also interesting that some 600 species of animals have been discovered thus far at the La Brea Tar Pits site., Out of all the bizarre forms of extinct "megafauna" like dire wolves, American Lions, camels, giant ground sloths, sabre-toothed cats, mastodons, mammoths etc. not one dinosaur has been found, not even a crocodile.

• Members

In the world of make believe evolutionary science, each year the earth ages 21 million years to satisfy the fickle minds of the evolutionists.

Anyone can fossilize an object in a 5 gallon bucket within a matter of months.  

• Moderators

It's interesting, over the last month, I think, I have read three articles on items found encased in amber. A fact about amber-no one has any idea how long it take for sap to become amber, yet they are always assumed to be millions of years old.  So we have first, lizards found in amber, http://www.livescience.com/53948-lizards-trapped-in-ancient-amber.html ; then a bird's wing, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bird-wings-dating-back-age-dinosaurs-found-frozen-amber-180959599/?no-ist , then a spider, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/new-spider-species-cretaceous-burmese-amber-extreme-projection-horned-fangs/ .

If you read the articles, you'll find some interesting 'facts': like, ALL of them are dated at 99 million years. Not 100 million, but 99, each one. None of the articles give any indication as to how they came to this conclusion-how does one date amber? And since no one knows how long it takes to become amber, are they really particularly old at all? While much is said about, say the bird feathers and the bird they BELIEVE they came from, they don't know-it's all weasel words, "Might have", and "It is believed" or 'It is thought". But they don't know. And there is nothing about these critters that says they are anything different than a bird, or spider or lizard around today. So they could be ten years old, 50, 100. But always "99 mmmmmiiiiiiillion years old".  Also, they are referred to as fossils or mummified, neither of which is possible in something encased in amber-'preserved' would be the proper term, but these science journals and websites seem to have a hard time even with the basic terminology.

Evolutionary science is so severely flawed it is scary. Scary that anyone accepts it. I am temped to find a tree with some good sap, put a bug in it, and keep it to see how long it takes to become amber, maybe sell it and get into the science magazines. I am already trying to see if I can fossilize a goat-had a goats die about ten years ago-right after it did, I dug a nice deep hole, filled it with water, put in the goat and covered him with mud, then dirt. We have a lot of minerals in our soil, so in a few years I may dig him up and see if we have manages to fossils anything on him.

• Members
2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

In the world of make believe evolutionary science, each year the earth ages 21 million years to satisfy the fickle minds of the evolutionists.

Anyone can fossilize an object in a 5 gallon bucket within a matter of months.  

I'm always looking for little science projects to do with my grandson; can you tell me how to do that?

1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

It's interesting, over the last month, I think, I have read three articles on items found encased in amber. A fact about amber-no one has any idea how long it take for sap to become amber, yet they are always assumed to be millions of years old.  So we have first, lizards found in amber, http://www.livescience.com/53948-lizards-trapped-in-ancient-amber.html ; then a bird's wing, http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bird-wings-dating-back-age-dinosaurs-found-frozen-amber-180959599/?no-ist , then a spider, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/new-spider-species-cretaceous-burmese-amber-extreme-projection-horned-fangs/ .

If you read the articles, you'll find some interesting 'facts': like, ALL of them are dated at 99 million years. Not 100 million, but 99, each one. None of the articles give any indication as to how they came to this conclusion-how does one date amber? And since no one knows how long it takes to become amber, are they really particularly old at all? While much is said about, say the bird feathers and the bird they BELIEVE they came from, they don't know-it's all weasel words, "Might have", and "It is believed" or 'It is thought". But they don't know. And there is nothing about these critters that says they are anything different than a bird, or spider or lizard around today. So they could be ten years old, 50, 100. But always "99 mmmmmiiiiiiillion years old".  Also, they are referred to as fossils or mummified, neither of which is possible in something encased in amber-'preserved' would be the proper term, but these science journals and websites seem to have a hard time even with the basic terminology.

Evolutionary science is so severely flawed it is scary. Scary that anyone accepts it. I am temped to find a tree with some good sap, put a bug in it, and keep it to see how long it takes to become amber, maybe sell it and get into the science magazines. I am already trying to see if I can fossilize a goat-had a goats die about ten years ago-right after it did, I dug a nice deep hole, filled it with water, put in the goat and covered him with mud, then dirt. We have a lot of minerals in our soil, so in a few years I may dig him up and see if we have manages to fossils anything on him.

Poor goat :(

• Moderators
5 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I'm always looking for little science projects to do with my grandson; can you tell me how to do that?

Poor goat :(

You know, in your business, as well as me, that it happens sometimes, just an unfortunate side-effect of keeping livestock.

• Members

Not going to say much on this topic.  Scofield and Larkin (both baptists) taught the gap as well.  
Here is the thing.  OK, so somebody teaches the Gap.  I guess I am not seeing it as a "problem" if you are for or against it.  I don't see how it affects the doctrine on anything else.  I don't see how it affects the OT Law, or how it affects the NT church.  It is one of those things that is debatable (to some at least!).  If you don't agree with it, fine.  To me, it is something worth discussing and debating, but it is certainly not something worth dividing over.  It has little to no effect on our core doctrines.

That's all I will say.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steve Schwenke said:

Not going to say much on this topic.  Scofield and Larkin (both baptists) taught the gap as well.  
Here is the thing.  OK, so somebody teaches the Gap.  I guess I am not seeing it as a "problem" if you are for or against it.  I don't see how it affects the doctrine on anything else.  I don't see how it affects the OT Law, or how it affects the NT church.  It is one of those things that is debatable (to some at least!).  If you don't agree with it, fine.  To me, it is something worth discussing and debating, but it is certainly not something worth dividing over.  It has little to no effect on our core doctrines.

That's all I will say.

I don't know that I can agree with you here-I think it DOES effect a lot of doctrine. For instance, how could God look at His entire creation, all He had created and made, and declare it all very good, if part of that creation had already fallen into sin, rebellion and destruction? Remember, part of the gap theory is that Day 1 is before the gap, the rest is after it, so all that God has made before and during that gap period HAD to be included in the context of ALL that God had created and made. So then God is saying that Satan, now Lucifer, is good, the fallen angels, good, all the death underneath the renewed earth, all good. I cannot buy that.

It also completely skews the idea of the clearly literal six-day creation, if in the middle of it, there were millions of years of days. Throughout the Bible, God declares that He created the earth and heavens in 6 days-that means all the heavens He created on day 1 as well, that the Gap folks say was just obscured and revealed on day 4.

Not to mention that it includes death before Adam, despite the fact the Bible says clearly that man brought sin, and death by sin-the clear reference is toward Adam's sin, not Lucifer's sin. Lucifer convinced man to sin, but death didn't come until Adam had sinned. So all that death during the gap could not have occurred.

• Members

Mike, I am not going to debate you on the gap.  The point I was trying to make was this.  All of your objections have been noted.  But do the people who are teaching the gap teaching the things you are objecting to?  If they are not teaching the things you are objecting to, then the doctrine has NOT been affected.
I do not know any IFB's who believe the Gap to teach anything about evolution, or deny the 6 literal days of creation as listed in Genesis 1.  They simply move it as a re-creation.  the time element before the Gap is completely irrelevant to the pro-gappers.  
In short, your objections are based on things that are NOT being taught by the pro-gappers - at least not by the IFB version of it.  
They still believe in the distinction between Israel, the church, the OT, the NT, the sufficiency of the Cross, the Blood of Christ, Heaven, Hell, New Heaven, New Earth, etc. etc. etc.

• Members

Holding fast to the errors of the Gap Theory piles on other errors as well.  Such is the way of most protestant churches these days.  in a great many cases, when they hold to the Gap, they then get the Lord's Supper and Baptism wrong, they then believe in the universal, invisible church, divorced pastors and the list of heresies goes on and on.