• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

John 3:11 “Uerely, verely I say vnto thee, We speake that we doe know, and testifie that wee haue seene; and yee receiue not our witnesse.” 1611 King James Version (KJV)

John 3:11 “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.” King James Version (KJV)

Ye being You all, who is Jesus referring to while taking to Nicodemus?

Nicodemus a Man (mankind)

Nicodemus an Israeli,

Nicodemus a Levite,

Nicodemus a ruler in the Sanhedrin,

Nicodemus a Pharisees 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adding the poll seemed to lock the thread so no one could reply.

• Members

If we develop our answer strictly from the context of John itself, then the answer would have to be in union with the following passages:

John 1:11 -- "He came unto his own, and his own received him not."

John 3:31-32 -- "He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.  And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony."

John 5:43 -- "I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive."

John 12:47-48 -- "And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.  He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."

Now, since the only reference to not receiving that is found in the Gospel of John before John 3:11 is John 1:11, I myself would lean toward the answer -- "Ye" in John 3:11 refers to the "His own" of John 1:11.

Another good question from John 3:11 is -- Who is the "we"?

• Members
1 hour ago, MountainChristian said:

Thank you brother Scott, also I'm adding the "we" to my notes, I had overlooked them and only saw Jesus as the we. 

You are welcome.

Concerning the "we" of the verse -- Since the context speaks about seeing the kingdom of heaven, and since the statement indicates that the "we" were bearing witness concerning what they had actually seen, I myself conclude that the "we" encompasses the three Persons of the eternal Godhead, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  (Some might contend against including the Holy Spirit, and I myself would not "die on that hill."  But I do hold strongly to the inclusion of God the Father and (obviously) God the Son.  Others would contend that the "we" encompasses John the Baptist and Jesus the Christ, but I would contend that John had not seen the things of heaven.)