• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I can't deal with heat very well. Due to a medical condition, I do not sweat. I overheat. I turn bright red, get dizzy, vomit and pass out if I'm out in the heat/sun for very long. Anything that would raise my body temperature, even temporarily, has potentially devastating effects on me. I know, I live in the desert and if I have that sort of problem how dumb can you be...well....this is where we are. So, I'll have to figure out ways to avoid getting sick in 100+ degree days. I'll be teaching this summer, so I'll avoid the worst part of the day by being in my classroom...but getting in the car is going to be rough. The inside of cars here can reach as high as 150 degrees in the summer here. 

PS: my teaching job is part-time, 4 hours a day, 4 days a week...UNLESS the school adds more classes to my schedule. I LOVE LOVE LOVE not working full time anymore. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Saved41199 said:

but getting in the car is going to be rough. The inside of cars here can reach as high as 150 degrees in the summer here. 

You can have an aftermarket remote starter installed in your car, so that, if you leave your a/c turned on when you leave your car, you can start it with a remote control 5 minutes or so early, and it will be cool by the time you get in.

My mother has the same issue with the lack of ability to perspire.  She uses those cool neck wraps when she knows she is going to be in the heat.

• Members
3 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

You can have an aftermarket remote starter installed in your car, so that, if you leave your a/c turned on when you leave your car, you can start it with a remote control 5 minutes or so early, and it will be cool by the time you get in.

My mother has the same issue with the lack of ability to perspire.  She uses those cool neck wraps when she knows she is going to be in the heat.

no remote starter in my neighborhood...my car would be gone in a second! Living here in the desert is an adventure in the summer. Starting a car in the heat and letting it sit is also not a great idea...too much of a chance for the engine to overheat (car's not moving and the fan isn't spinning). I plan to go shopping soon and start building my wardrobe for the summer. I can probably find tops that would cover my shoulders. 

The cool wraps don't work on me...I passed out hot even with one of those on a 110 degree day. Woke up a couple of hours later in the hospital wrapped in a cooling blanket with a concussion and goose egg on my noggin. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

Now that gave me a double take... coming from a cold climate (it was -45 Celsius/-49 Fahrenheit last night with the wind chill), we use remote starters to warm the car up! Never thought about them being used to cool cars down! :1_grinning:

Hey, what happened to our good ol' OB emoticons? :(

19 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

I'm on day 4 of nothing but skirts...I need to go shopping! I also need to get rid of my addiction to tank tops, but here in the desert, sometimes it's just too hot to wear anything else! That's the other problem I'm having...how to dress modestly, wearing skirts/dresses and dealing with 100+ degree heat. I already won't go swimming in a public pool, I dream of having a house with our own pool. Going to have to think about that if I end up joining a gym and taking up swimming again for exercise. 

Depending on what your convictions are, there are some pretty decent swimwear options out there. I made a swimsuit from the simply-modest.com pattern. Making your own is cheaper (I found material at a fabric store that was clearing out), and actually really easy (you don't have to hem swimwear material!), and you can adjust the pattern. I made my skirt longer, past my knees, and added a funny little tunic top, and I really like the outcome. I could walk down the street in that outfit and you'd never know it was a swimsuit. ;-)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Salyan said:

Hey, what happened to our good ol' OB emoticons? :(

Salyan, as your newest Admin. That is one of my first concerns. I will be working to restore the emoticons as soon as I familiarize myself with the admin control panel. 

• Members
12 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

...too much of a chance for the engine to overheat (car's not moving and the fan isn't spinning).

Is something wrong with your car then?  An engine driven fan turns when the motor is running.  Electric fans are thermostat controlled.  Usually one is to cool the engine and the other provides additional cooling when the air conditioning is turned on.

With a remote start kit in an older car, the steering wheel is still locked as the keys are not in the ignition.  We enjoyed our factory remote start to cool the car down and likewise, a thief cannot steal the car with the motor and a/c running.  Everything else is shut down and still locked.

• Members
3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Is something wrong with your car then?  An engine driven fan turns when the motor is running.  Electric fans are thermostat controlled.  Usually one is to cool the engine and the other provides additional cooling when the air conditioning is turned on.

I don't know if you've ever lived in the desert...however, cars overheating when they are not moving is pretty common here. A traffic jam in 110+ degree heat where everyone is sitting usually leads to a few cars overheating. Living in extreme heat is different than living in the heat almost anywhere else. 

Regarding the fan...if the fan is sucking in 110+ degree air, it isn't going to cool off much across the radiator if the car is sitting still...it will also start sucking in the air from the engine itself. Even the news warns against letting a car sit while its running. 

Not trying to be argumentative here but the truth is living in the desert is not like living other places in the summer. I'm from the southern coast of Virginia. Summer here is nothing like summer there. 

• Members

All this discussion is great! I would like to say though that this is something we work on once becoming a Christian. Unfortunately, there are too many preachers in the pulpits blasting their congregation with this. It needs to be preached and taught, but one must remember that there are lost souls present and some will assume that's part of salvation. We must be careful to preach the gospel and not a personal conviction. The whole Bible should be preached, but not used as an occasion to sin.

Acts 15:24‭-‬29

Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:  It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,  Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.  For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;  That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

• Members
On 1/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, Saved41199 said:

I don't know if you've ever lived in the desert...however, cars overheating when they are not moving is pretty common here. A traffic jam in 110+ degree heat where everyone is sitting usually leads to a few cars overheating. Living in extreme heat is different than living in the heat almost anywhere else. 

Regarding the fan...if the fan is sucking in 110+ degree air, it isn't going to cool off much across the radiator if the car is sitting still...it will also start sucking in the air from the engine itself. Even the news warns against letting a car sit while its running. 

Not trying to be argumentative here but the truth is living in the desert is not like living other places in the summer. I'm from the southern coast of Virginia. Summer here is nothing like summer there. 

I'm from and live in southern Florida, heat is no stranger to me.  My recommendation about cooling off your car with a remote start would not put your good running car in any jeopardy, mine shuts off after ten minutes if I'm delayed for example.  

As an old race car builder and driver, there are things that can be done to let you idle away on the hottest days for hours on end if need be without a problem.   

• Members
1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

I'm from and live in southern Florida, heat is no stranger to me.  My recommendation about cooling off your car with a remote start would not put your good running car in any jeopardy, mine shuts off after ten minutes if I'm delayed for example.  

As an old race car builder and driver, there are things that can be done to let you idle away on the hottest days for hours on end if need be without a problem.   

I'll look into it. I have to get it back on the road first. It has a dead power steering pump and it's $$ I don't have right now. My first paycheck from when I start teaching again will go to fixing my car. Come on February 17th and please Lord do a loaves and fishes miracle in my pantry and freezer. 

• Members
On 1/6/2017 at 7:08 AM, Salyan said:

Um, better check your context there. In context, the 'dog' it is referring to is a male prostitute (in that culture, likely a sodomite). That verse is saying not to bring the proceeds of prostitution to God.

Um, I did check the context. Thoroughly. I also looked up every single place the word "dog" appears in scripture. I researched both God's and Israel's attitude toward the dog, I searched out what the word "dog" is referring to in every single scripture when it is not actually referring to a canine. (Hint ; it's always the same thing, and is even clearly defined in Isaiah 56). I also searched out the the commands of God to Israel regarding female harlots as opposed to sodomites, and came to the conclusion that simply accepting the word "dog" in that passage is a male prostitute is just lazy exegesis.

You may not agree with a particular conclusion or belief that I hold concerning some passage of scripture, but it would be a mistake to condescend to me and snark that perhaps I have not even read the passage or checked the context.

I've been out in a remote village here in Alaska with no internet for 10 days, doing construction for a friend on a house. Thus, my delay in answering.

• 3 months later...