• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

The video comes up as private so I cannot comment on it.

However, the short is answer is no.  God says it is an abomination for a woman to dress as a man and men wear pants.  People are to dress modestly, to not be a stumblingblock to others which is almost impossible to do by a woman in pants.

Before this thread gets locked, there may be folks showing up to justify this style of feminized pants or that or making claims that pants are not for men only and that men and women wore robes back in the day or over there, wherever there is.

It's nice to see a lady dressed as a lady in a dress or blouse and skirt.  It is so rare to see them, I try to give a complement whenever possible.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This question is as old as the hills. I heard it discussed over forty years ago by Baptists. To my mind it is a subject steeped in legalism. It goes hand in hand with another question, "should women wear a head covering."  Which is almost always determined to mean a hat.

I have always thought it very telling when the subject of women wearing pants comes up that there is always a certain phraseology connected with it, especially when preached against by certain pastors who bring the subject up. And the phrase is: "Split Legged."

It is used in this context; "Split legged pants." Now why is it that this phrase is only used by those that are against women wearing pants and never even mentioned in passing by  anyone else in the Christian or secular world?

I go along with GP's scripture reference that reinforces that women should dress in modest apparel, but then, so should a man. Tank tops and shorts have no place in church.

• Moderators

Wow, this is surely a contentious subject. What is the Bible saying when it commands that a woman not wear that which pertaineth to a man, and vice-versa? As was mentioned above, woman and men wore somewhat similar clothes in the time it was written-though I suspect they weren't uni-sex or even close to identical. Unfortunately, since Israel didn't make much in the way of pictures or sculptures of themselvs, there's little we can go off to compare. But since the command is there, we have to assume there was enough difference to tell the difference. But I suspect the command is more in the way of a woman seking to imitate a man, or a man imitate a woman. After all, sandals 'pertain' to a man, but women also wear them.  If I can get an image to upload, we Do have images made of them by other cultures. hebrews_exile.jpgThis is pretty good showing men's clothes. (also notice the short hair!). We see they have the fringe on the borders of the garments, just as the Lord commanded they have. Looks like the garments were layered, the coat with the robe underneath.

image015.jpgHere we see an Egyptian depiction of apparently Hebrew women. Their clothes are very different from the men. I don't know if this was during their time living in Egypt or later. According to the website this was them when they first sojourned into Egypt. Notice long hair, no headcoverings.

So it continues to be a question-clearly the women dressed differently from the men, but I don't know if that difference would be seen in a modern difference bwteen a dress and pants. My personal preference is women should wear full, covering and loose, though not like a bag, dress. But if loose pants that don't hug the figure are worn, or lower than the knee culottes, I suppose I would not be too worried. The question is MODESTY, which is as much borne out in the attitude as the clothing. A truely modest spirit will be marked by modest attire. I have known women who wore modest clothes but in spirit were anybut BUT modest. So we need the package. And again, in the difference between that which pertaineth to a man or a woman, I believe that there is to be seen an intent to emulate the other sex, and thereby challenge the God-given order.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

This question is as old as the hills. I heard it discussed over forty years ago by Baptists. To my mind it is a subject steeped in legalism. It goes hand in hand with another question, "should women wear a head covering."  Which is almost always determined to mean a hat.

I have always thought it very telling when the subject of women wearing pants comes up that there is always a certain phraseology connected with it, especially when preached against by certain pastors who bring the subject up. And the phrase is: "Split Legged."

It is used in this context; "Split legged pants." Now why is it that this phrase is only used by those that are against women wearing pants and never even mentioned in passing by  anyone else in the Christian or secular world?

Can I ask a question about the phrase 'split legged'? The people you mentioned who used it... how did they specifically define it? And did they apply it to everything - leggings, long johns, nylons, etc.? I'm genuinely curious - because, you see, the conclusion I've come to is that if women are to avoid pants because they're split legged, they should be avoiding everything else split legged to. Which in our climate means pretty much everything we generally wear with a dress to stay warm in winter. So I'm very curious whether those that use this terminology actually apply it consistently.

• Administrators

Salyan, I never heard it actually defined. But it is used , as far as I can tell, to mean pants. they always call it "split legged pants." Maybe no one else has heard this term, might just be me, but I have heard it too many times to count.

• Members
54 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Salyan, I never heard it actually defined. But it is used , as far as I can tell, to mean pants. they always call it "split legged pants." Maybe no one else has heard this term, might just be me, but I have heard it too many times to count.

Is there another kind of pants? :D

• Members
20 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

The Bible does not say a woman can't wear pants.

I have seen women wear dresses and skirts more immodestly than pants much more often.

Many times I think the 'modesty' question has more direction toward the mind of the man and less toward the dress code of the woman.

If us guys could contain our minds better, less questions about pants would be involved. Modesty is the point.

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

There it is.

You've addressed the subject of modesty and ignored the admonition for a woman not to wear men's clothing.

In our western society men wear pants and ladies wear dresses and skirts.  That split legged thing when I heard it thirty years ago was derogatory.

Watching old movies from the '20s and thirties, Hollywood's most prideful women appeared in movies with the tailored suits.  Bible believing women wore dresses and skirts even while working the fields on farms in all weather for hundreds of years.

Since those fraudulent Egyptian bibles came out and have become widespread, bible doctrine after bible doctrine has been questioned, redefined and discarded so the Burger King Christian can feel good about having Christ "Their Way" and not the Lord's Way.

Wayne, AMEN AMEN AMEN Brother!

Edited by swathdiver