• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Witnessing to a Mormon friend

• Members

Hey y'all just wanted some thoughts on sharing the gospel with Mormon's. I've got a old friend in prison right now that I've been writing to and he told me he's reading the book of Mormon and the Bible. His family is Mormon, and he grew up going to their church. I moved back to my hometown and started hanging out with him again, and found out he had a really bad methamphetamine addiction. My prayer for him after I found this out was that he would get arrested before things got worse. Praise the Lord! Before he got arrested I had the opportunity to have many hard talks with him about what he was doing and talked with him about Jesus. 

I'm currently writing a letter to him and just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on this. Also if anyone could pray that God would give me wisdom on what to say to him that would be awesome. My friend's name is David, and I really do believe that the Holy Spirit is convicting him but he has fallen back on his works-righteous roots. 

God Bless.

• Members

Attached is the chapter on Mormonism that I have been developing for a Bible study. It is not complete as yet because I have gotten sidetracked by various other concerns, but it gives a good background of the religion, their beliefs on critical doctrine and then the Biblical truth regarding those doctrines. It is not complete but close. I realize it is a bit long (33 pages), but you must understand the enemy to properly defend against him. Hope this helps.

3 - Mormonism.pdf

• Members
2 hours ago, Alan said:

I just noticed a previous thread that Salyan started concerning Mormonism. Here is the link:

Maybe there is something in the postings that can help you.

Alan

That's perfect thank you so much! Guess I should've poked around a little first. 

45 minutes ago, 282Mikado said:

Attached is the chapter on Mormonism that I have been developing for a Bible study. It is not complete as yet because I have gotten sidetracked by various other concerns, but it gives a good background of the religion, their beliefs on critical doctrine and then the Biblical truth regarding those doctrines. It is not complete but close. I realize it is a bit long (33 pages), but you must understand the enemy to properly defend against him. Hope this helps.

3 - Mormonism.pdf

I would love to read through this when I have some time. I'm not aloud to view the link though probably because I'm such a new member.

• Members

Couple of years ago we had a Mormon lady on here who had gotten saved and was posting for time but I believe she has gone back to them.

Be sure to mention that ALL man-made religions are works based for salvation.  You can shoot holes in the book of mormon all day long but he's first got to know he's a sinner headed for hell.  The Romans road and the Ten Commandments have saved many, bypassing the brain's faulty logic and piercing the heart with the Word of God, convicting the sinner of their sins.  

The good thing with witnessing to him is you have a captive audience, not distracted with life at the moment.  The bad part is all the false gospels prevailent in the jails lead to many false jailhouse conversions.

In the two counties where I live, the Independent Baptists are not welcomed into the jails because we're mean and divisive.  But they let in every devil with their phony bibles and vain religions.

• Members
21 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Couple of years ago we had a Mormon lady on here who had gotten saved and was posting for time but I believe she has gone back to them.

Be sure to mention that ALL man-made religions are works based for salvation.  You can shoot holes in the book of mormon all day long but he's first got to know he's a sinner headed for hell.  The Romans road and the Ten Commandments have saved many, bypassing the brain's faulty logic and piercing the heart with the Word of God, convicting the sinner of their sins.  

The good thing with witnessing to him is you have a captive audience, not distracted with life at the moment.  The bad part is all the false gospels prevailent in the jails lead to many false jailhouse conversions.

In the two counties where I live, the Independent Baptists are not welcomed into the jails because we're mean and divisive.  But they let in every devil with their phony bibles and vain religions.

Yeah I'm going to put that letter in the mail tonight. I've thought about it long enough. Your're right about him at least being a captive audience and praise God for that. He knows he's a sinner, he's already told me, he has even said he believes that Jesus paid the price for everyone's sins on the cross. but then he said he is reading the book of mormon because it's like going back to his roots. I'm just going to ask him if he know's he's a sinner deserving of hell, if he knows that Jesus Christ paid the price for sin by his death, and then tell him to put his faith in His work only for his salvation. I've unfortunately always been someone who beats around the bush when witnessing to people, I was convicted about his really hard just yesterday, and I can't do it any longer.

That's really sad they won't let you into the jails... That seems illegal if you've never had a felony and you've never caused problems while you're in there, and even if some Independent Baptist did, that shouldn't mean that others can't go in because of that person.  I'm no lawyer but that sounds like persecution to me. But alas... 

He said he's been seeing a Chaplain, but that same chaplain gave him a book of Mormon. :(

I keep praying that the Lord will send him a saint.

Edited by Wmccarthy99
spelling correction

• Members

Yes it is certainly a form of persecution.  Anyhow, use this opportunity in witnessing to your friend to sharpen your sword so to speak, to strengthen your own walk with Christ and that is through his Word.

Are you a member of a New Testament Church yet?  And if so, have you been scripturally baptized and accepted into the membership?

If upon visiting a church the pastor is about 25 and jumping around the stage dressed like a bum and there are lights and rock music with christian lyrics playing, turn around and leave that den of devils.  But that is not the only mark of a biblical New Testament Church.  There's much more to it.  If you like, give us the name of your town and we'll check them out by googling.  It may not be perfect but will get you pointed in the right direction.  Then you can go query the pastor and take it from there.

• Members
1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

Yes it is certainly a form of persecution.  Anyhow, use this opportunity in witnessing to your friend to sharpen your sword so to speak, to strengthen your own walk with Christ and that is through his Word.

Are you a member of a New Testament Church yet?  And if so, have you been scripturally baptized and accepted into the membership?

If upon visiting a church the pastor is about 25 and jumping around the stage dressed like a bum and there are lights and rock music with christian lyrics playing, turn around and leave that den of devils.  But that is not the only mark of a biblical New Testament Church.  There's much more to it.  If you like, give us the name of your town and we'll check them out by googling.  It may not be perfect but will get you pointed in the right direction.  Then you can go query the pastor and take it from there.

Thanks swathdiver. The church I've been attending is a Calvary Chapel. I'm not going to go into exactly what I disagree with the church about, but I'm leaving. I just need to do it the right way. I've come to realize it is not the right church for me, but the members and the pastor have become great friends of mine. The pastor has spent a lot of time counseling me and I am thankful for that. 

I've actually visited two IFB churches recently and I'm going back to one of them tomorrow for their Wednesday night study, it's called Sacramento Baptist Church, they sing hymns along with a pianist, preach from the KJV, preach eternal security, and are active in soul winning and ministering to the homeless. It's about an hour away from where I live though and I've been trying to find a job and a place down there but nothing has opened up. There is one more that I've found online that's a little closer and I might go check it out Sunday. I live about an hour away from Sacramento CA, and the closest KJV church to where I live is 45 min from my house. 

Edited by Wmccarthy99

• Members

I used to attend a Calvary Chapel too.  Wasted nine months there.  One cannot be a member of a Calvary Chapel because they boast of being a universal, invisible church.  They are a harlot of the whore of Revelations 17, protestant in doctrine and united with Rome.

I could not post in that link you showed us of that nut being happy that the sodomites were murdered by the Muhammaden.  I certainly would not darken the door of that place.

Through prayer the Holy Spirit burdened my heart to attend a proper New Testament Church of the kind that Christ built and died for during his earthly ministry.  The closest one was over an hour away.  So I moved my family near the church, which accepted us members and we faithfully serve to this day.  The Lord even provided our first home in the neighborhood, we rented from a lady who was also a member of the church.  Praise God for answered prayer!

• Moderators

Calvary Chapel, just for general info for those who don't know, they grew out of the Jesus People hippy movement, where hippies were encouraged to come, never change, and use the same music they played for fun and entertainment, but to make changes to make it 'for Jesus'. They are the birthing place of the Contemporary Christian Music movement. One of the early leaders was one Lonnie Frisbee, a hippy who's testimony of salvation was meeting Jesus while high on LSD, baptized himself, and began travelling around telling other hippies about Jesus, getting stoned for Him and baptizing them. He later fell deeply into homosexuality and was removed from his position as a leader.  

So needless to say, Calvary Chapel has some serious issues from its foundation, which was not in Christ, but drugs and worldliness. 

As for witnessing to your Mormon friend, it can be tough since his family are Mormon, so it will give him a natural desire to seek into where his family is. However, it really all depends on whether or not your friend is really seeking truth, or just seeking reformation. People who are really looking for the truth will hear the truth and nothing else will satisfy them. I saw that with my wife who spent years seeking the true God, with nothing personally to go on, and went through many different 'spiritual' practices, mostly New Age, but was never satisfied until she was led to the Lord by a friend, but that took a while, as she had a lot of garbage to remove. And even then she began as a Pentecostal and really liked their spirit of prayerfulness, but thought their teachings were light and frivolous, until, by her own admission, she heard me preach as an IFB and knew this was where she belonged. We married much later after that, so it wasn't that she was swayed by my personal awesomeness, (lol). 

• Members
7 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

As for witnessing to your Mormon friend, it can be tough since his family are Mormon, so it will give him a natural desire to seek into where his family is. However, it really all depends on whether or not your friend is really seeking truth, or just seeking reformation.

Yeah I've definately thought of that and I'm sure there's a little bit of that going on as well. At least he's a captive audience. I had sent him a letter about 3 weeks ago and after sending it I kind of regretted some of the things I wrote, and also realized that there were things that I should've mentioned that I didn't. Praise the Lord the letter got rejected and turned back!

• Members

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” - Hebrews 4:12

As you grow in grace you'll learn the scriptures and the Holy Ghost will teach you the truth of this verse.  Notice that bible study I gave you?  Not my words but my Savior's!  It matters not what I might say or think, what matters is, what "saith the Lord?"  Can I get an Amen from you folks out there?  Amen!