• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Not Many Wise Men

• Members

“For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.” (1 Corinthians 1:26)

For the most part, the rich and famous of this world, the wise and powerful, have always looked down on the followers of Christ and the Scriptures. This seems increasingly true today, and many believers have been... More...o5h2w3C9suA

View the full article

• Members

1 Corinthians 1:6 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  KJV

Any altar call given for those that are not sure they are saved, to come forward and make a commitment to follow Christ, is a call given after the flesh which many wise men, the mighty, and the nobles would respond to, because it is a rudiment of men teaching for doctrines the commandments of men where men praise men for their work as men.

We are called to stand fast in the liberty which Christ has set us free & be ye not entangle again in a yoke of bondage as the just shall live by faith in the Son of God & all His promises to us so that we may cease from our works & rest in Him as our Saviour that we are saved simply by our believing in Him and that we may rest in Him as our Good Shepherd, thus leaning on Him all the time that He will help us to follow Him as His disciples to abide in Him.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage....5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:  7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.....9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure......8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

With such precious promises from Him, it is no wonder why the religious of the world are not called, but children are as all they can do is take Him at His word, and thus that is also all we can do is place our trust & faith in Him.

Discipleship is separate from salvation, and so there can be no commitment to follow Him by the saved believer.  All they can do is trust Him as their Good Shepherd that He will help them ( even little children ) to follow Him as His disciples thus getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when we see ourselves following Him by the grace of God that we were saved by; by faith in Jesus Christ.

So may committed christians call on Jesus to set them free from their vain commitment to follow Him and get to know Him & the power of His resurrection by trusting Him as their Good Shepherd to help them to follow Him so they can rest in Him.

Mark 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.....9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Edited by Golgotha

• Moderators

I was saved as a result of an altar call. I would disagree that the wise and noble would respond to such a call, because most don't want to do anything public. Those of the worldly wise and noble-type would never think to stand up and admit needing anything before others, especially if they are peers. Now I don't agree with all aspects of altar calls, particularly the 'say this prayer' stuff, but at 8 I was convicted of my lost state, as best as I could understand it, went forward and asked Jesus to forgive and save me.

Of course, altar calls are not the end all-be all of getting saved-anyone hearing the gospel in any situation can respond and be saved, even upon reading it themselves and following the leading of the Spirit.

Now why do they make it to those not sure of salvation? because many have followed a false gospel and believe themselves saved-whether the gospel of works of the LDS church or the sacraments of the Romish church, many believe themselves saved, but upon hearing the true gospel, may be convicted and want to seek the truth, so, being now unsure, they come forward to hear the truth, and being convinced, fall down and become His disciple. This IS of faith-the problem before is their faith was in a man-made organization to get them to eternal life, but now they receive the truth by faith in Christ and become saved. You give many good scriptures, but too often they have been so twisted in the minds of the deceived, that they need to hear them understood properly, so they can know what to have faith in.

• Members
5 hours ago, Golgotha said:

1 Corinthians 1:6 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  KJV

Any altar call given for those that are not sure they are saved, to come forward and make a commitment to follow Christ, is a call given after the flesh which many wise men, the mighty, and the nobles would respond to, because it is a rudiment of men teaching for doctrines the commandments of men where men praise men for their work as men.

We are called to stand fast in the liberty which Christ has set us free & be ye not entangle again in a yoke of bondage as the just shall live by faith in the Son of God & all His promises to us so that we may cease from our works & rest in Him as our Saviour that we are saved simply by our believing in Him and that we may rest in Him as our Good Shepherd, thus leaning on Him all the time that He will help us to follow Him as His disciples to abide in Him.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage....5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:  7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure......8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

With such precious promises from Him, it is no wonder why the religious of the world are not called, but children are as all they can do is take Him at His word, and thus that is also all we can do is place our trust & faith in Him.

Discipleship is separate from salvation, and so there can be no commitment to follow Him by the saved believer.  All they can do is trust Him as their Good Shepherd that He will help them ( even little children ) to follow Him as His disciples thus getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when we see ourselves following Him by the grace of God that we were saved by; by faith in Jesus Christ.

So may committed christians call on Jesus to set them free from their vain commitment to follow Him and get to know Him & the power of His resurrection by trusting Him as their Good Shepherd to help them to follow Him so they can rest in Him.

Mark 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Not sure how your post here applies to the OP article. Are you claiming that public professions of faith in the Lord Jesus and baptism after salvation are after the flesh?

• Members
4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I was saved as a result of an altar call. I would disagree that the wise and noble would respond to such a call, because most don't want to do anything public. 

Of course, altar calls are not the end all-be all of getting saved-anyone hearing the gospel in any situation can respond and be saved, even upon reading it themselves and following the leading of the Spirit.

Now why do they make it to those not sure of salvation? 

51 minutes ago, wretched said:

Not sure how your post here applies to the OP article. Are you claiming that public professions of faith in the Lord Jesus and baptism after salvation are after the flesh?

May He help you discern this particular altar call that I am talking about.

The gospel presentation goes like this:  "It is not going to church every Sunday that is going to save you.  It is not by keeping the Ten Commandments that is going to save you.  It is all those that call upon the name of the Lord."

The apostate altar call is this:

"If you are not sure you are saved, come forward & make a commitment to follow Christ."

Now discern that with His help.  What is required to keep that commitment to follow Christ to gain the assurance of salvation, because that is WHY they are making that commitment to follow Christ; to get assurance of their salvation.

If you read over the presentation of the gospel & then the altar call, you may see that the altar call is the exact opposite of the gospel presentation because keeping that commitment to follow Christ means going to church every Sunday....and keeping more than the Ten Commandments since the teachings of Jesus are higher than the works of the law.  You think any one is going to get any assurance of salvation by trying to keep that commitment to follow Jesus?  I would say not since breaking it, failing it daily, would give them doubts about having any assurance of salvation since they are trying to finish by the flesh what was begun with the Spirit.

I was not addressing all altar calls;  just that one where one is asked to make a commitment to follow Christ to gain the assurance of salvation.  That is the same as saying you will know you are saved when you have kept that commitment to follow Christ, but it can never happen because by that commitment to follow Christ is the knowledge of sin.  No one will be able to say in Heaven that they have kept it.  No flesh will be able to claim it.  No one.

Ukulelemike; I do not see anything wrong about your altar call nor how you had responded.  I see God's work on you in that moment.

wretched:  Just pointing out how a religious calling that men can identify with to receive the praise of men by can creep into christianity just by giving an altar call that is the opposite of what the gospel says in how we are saved.

If any one is not sure they are saved, if you had called upon the name of the Lord, believe you are saved.

As for following Jesus, we can only follow Him by faith in the Son of God & all His promises to us as our Good Shepherd since He is in us & is with us always. By the grace of God we have been saved, and by the grace of God we shall follow Him, both done by faith in Jesus Christ;  not by trying to keep some religious commitment to follow Him.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Golgotha said:

May He help you discern this particular altar call that I am talking about.

The gospel presentation goes like this:  "It is not going to church every Sunday that is going to save you.  It is not by keeping the Ten Commandments that is going to save you.  It is all those that call upon the name of the Lord."

The apostate altar call is this:

"If you are not sure you are saved, come forward & make a commitment to follow Christ."

Now discern that with His help.  What is required to keep that commitment to follow Christ to gain the assurance of salvation, because that is WHY they are making that commitment to follow Christ; to get assurance of their salvation.

If you read over the presentation of the gospel & then the altar call, you may see that the altar call is the exact opposite of the gospel presentation because keeping that commitment to follow Christ means going to church every Sunday....and keeping more than the Ten Commandments since the teachings of Jesus are higher than the works of the law.  You think any one is going to get any assurance of salvation by trying to keep that commitment to follow Jesus?  I would say not since breaking it, failing it daily, would give them doubts about having any assurance of salvation since they are trying to finish by the flesh what was begun with the Spirit.

I was not addressing all altar calls;  just that one where one is asked to make a commitment to follow Christ to gain the assurance of salvation.  That is the same as saying you will know you are saved when you have kept that commitment to follow Christ, but it can never happen because by that commitment to follow Christ is the knowledge of sin.  No one will be able to say in Heaven that they have kept it.  No flesh will be able to claim it.  No one.

Ukulelemike; I do not see anything wrong about your altar call nor how you had responded.  I see God's work on you in that moment.

wretched:  Just pointing out how a religious calling that men can identify with to receive the praise of men by can creep into christianity just by giving an altar call that is the opposite of what the gospel says in how we are saved.

If any one is not sure they are saved, if you had called upon the name of the Lord, believe you are saved.

As for following Jesus, we can only follow Him by faith in the Son of God & all His promises to us as our Good Shepherd since He is in us & is with us always. By the grace of God we have been saved, and by the grace of God we shall follow Him, both done by faith in Jesus Christ;  not by trying to keep some religious commitment to follow Him.

I appreciate the explanation but what does this have to do with the OP article? I think this is an example of how confusing your posts are friend. You seem to follow several rabbit trails that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed and somehow expect readers to know what you are referencing.

Who does an altar call like you are describing here? Are you claiming IFBs or protestants/emerging churches or charismatics?

Slow it down a tad and give some background prior to chasing these rabbits is my recommendation. IMO you seem to have some interesting takes on things but the trouble is trying to figure out what the "things" are that you take off on :) 

• Members
3 minutes ago, wretched said:

I appreciate the explanation but what does this have to do with the OP article? I think this is an example of how confusing your posts are friend. You seem to follow several rabbit trails that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed and somehow expect readers to know what you are referencing.

Who does an altar call like you are describing here? Are you claiming IFBs or protestants/emerging churches or charismatics?

Slow it down a tad and give some background prior to chasing these rabbits is my recommendation. IMO you seem to have some interesting takes on things but the trouble is trying to figure out what the "things" are that you take off on :) 

Just trying to point out how 1 Corinthians 1:26 has slipped by many believers in the latter days where they do not apply that verse to discern what kind of an altar call that is being given in how insecure believers & sinners are responding to where many wise men after the flesh, many mighty, and many nobles would respond to & do.

I suspect many readers agree with the article, not realizing the apostasy that has slipped in where many go astray by a different "calling" other than what the gospel gives in coming to & believing in Jesus Christ to be saved..