• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

For The Past Four Mornings

• Members

When I went to turn my computer on it was already on.. how does this happen. I know I shut it offf.....and my phone sometimes the font is bigger and sometimes its smaller.. do you all feel someone is using your computer or into it 

• Members

Could be any number of things. Here are a few possible reasons and solutions...

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/why-does-my-computer-turn-itself-on-at-night-525971/

Here's one specific to Windows 10...

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/13635-pc-turning-itself-after-windows-10-upgrade.html

I don't know about your phone's fonts...

• Members

Oh my, Rosie!  I'm rather technically challenged about your computer issue, but I do hope someone here can offer you some helpful suggestions that will be able to fix any security concerns.  I can't quote it off the top, but it sure is comforting to know that "...Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."  Right this minute I'm going to pray about your computer, and that you will know what to do to ensure against the possibility of anyone hacking into it. Lovya, sista...and praying!

• Members

Rosie, if it just started four days ago, I would think the most probable reason would be that your computer received an update that may have changed something.

On the other side, if your computer was possibly hacked four days ago, you may have also noticed other behaviors on it that are out of the ordinary. Just to be safe, make sure your Antivirus is up to date, and run a scan with it. If you have a separate program to check for malware, do the same with it.

It honestly sounds more like a computer update is what is causing it to me though.

• Administrators

A lot of times, if you have automatic updates, the computer will not shut down unless you force it to. In other words, when you tell it to shut down, after a bit a window will come up that says not to shut down because of updates. If you've walked away from your computer before that, the updates will take place and the computer will not shut down.

There were many times I left my computer at work running because of the updates. But my computer was set to shut itself down afterward. I didn't set it that way, the IT guy did, so I don't know how to tell you to do it. 

I hope it is the update issue that is causing this. 

• Members

Rosie, answer these questions the best you can...

Did all of your problems start a few days ago, or have they been going on longer? 

How old is your computer? 

If it's not new, did you allow it to upgrade to Windows 10? If so, did you start having problems after that? 

Do you know if the defragment tool ever runs? 

Do you have a malware scanner in addition to (and separate from) your Antivirus? 

Do you ever clear the history of your web browser? 

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

Did all of your problems start a few days ago, or have they been going on longer?  A FEW DAYS AGO

How old is your computer?  4 YEARS OLD ?

If it's not new, did you allow it to upgrade to Windows 10? If so, did you start having problems after that?  NO I DID NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT IT

Do you know if the defragment tool ever runs? I DON'T KNOW

Do you have a malware scanner in addition to (and separate from) your Antivirus? NO

Do you ever clear the history of your web browser?  YES

• Members

Okay...thanks. One final question...do you know if you're using Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I'll cover defragmenting and cleaning files later; here's the first thing that I would recommend you try.

This could still be due to an update that your computer received, but for now, we will work on the worst case scenario and assume that you have malware on your computer. So, download and install Malwarebytes. Look at the download page carefully, and just download the free version...it's the white box with a blue outline. It does everything the paid version does as far as removing malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/dl-confirm/

Run a scan with it after you install it. It could take it a while. Hackers are getting more clever these days, but Malwarebytes is really good at finding malware.