• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is Spiritual Warfare?

• Members

What exactly is spiritual warfare? I have heard many different theories on this and I just wanted to ask some Baptists what they thought on this. Is it simply resisting temptation, or is it that while we walk through this world we come against great resistance in unbelievers, is it standing in the truth while even our churches start to teach lies? I've heard many say that a lot of the time it is a very internal struggle, that the devil makes us feel like God is displeased with us and done with us, I've even heard that the enemy will "get into our head" and lead us in directions we shouldn't go or discourage us. I've heard it said by some that the "pulling down of strongholds" is a result of this inner struggle as we stand in the truth personally and stop believing lies about God, and I've heard it's talking about believers exposing lies in the world, the church, or other's lives as we bring them light. It seems to me if we get a little too carried away with everything being internal we could possibly dismiss a conviction from the Holy Spirit as something from the enemy.

• Members

Wow! what a question.

For starters. All of the things that you listed are part of the spiritual warfare in our lives. We are in a warfare against our flesh, this present evil world, and Satan (see 1 John 2:15 &16). This whole world is full of wickednss, 1 John 5:19

1. It is resisting temptation.

2. It is standing for the truth.Jude 3

3. It is an internal stuggle. See Romans Chapter 6 and 7

I could go on and on. for example.

1. False religions.

2. False Bibles.

3. False ministers.

4. False churches.

It takes a spiritual person to discern the false from the true; see 1 Corinthians 2:13 and 14

The good news is that we can have victory in our lives as we live for the Lord and walk in the Spirit. John 16:33,  Romans 7:25, and other passages. I would suggest a close reading of the book of Romans and 1 John to get a better understanding of the spiritual warfare that we are in.

God bless you as you seek the truth in battling the spiritual warfare. Paul said, "Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ." 2 Timothy 2:3

Alan

Edited by Alan
proper scripture reference

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Put your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ in being your Good Shepherd to help you discern good & evil in the world by His words kept in the KJV as well as proving by His words everything in the church & by some popular christian.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

In regards to fiery darts spiritual warfare, I would say that is about keeping lust out of our hearts.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.....16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Applying faith in Jesus Christ to help you when you are tempted to make provision for the lust of the flesh to fulfill the lust thereof  has been key in my walk with Him & I thank Him for that in leading me to do that as well.

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Paul was certainly motivated to keep lust out of his mind & thus his heart by leaning on Jesus to run that race.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness ( masturbation ), inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

So let us turn to Jesus Christ for help whenever those fiery trials come upon us.

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.....12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

1 Peter 5: 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. 10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

Romans 13:14But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Hebrews 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Psalm 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. 12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

A little girl was asked, "What are you going to do when Satan comes knocking at your door?"

The little girl replied, "I would send Jesus to answer the door."

That is what we need to do by way of prayer in asking Jesus to answer the door to any fiery trial coming our way.

And I am trusting Him as my Good Shepherd to remind me to send Him to answer the door.  Amen.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Spiritual warfare can be a lot more intense than we realise.  I seek to spend 3-4 afternoons per week passing out tracts and I find that when I've had some good conversations the devil will attack - BIG time.

He attacks the mind; he attempts to make you lose sleep; he puts temptation in your way, the type of temptation that, ordinarily, you may be able to resist, but when he goes on the offensive there is a real struggle.

Satan also uses other "Christians" to try and put you off evangelism, and he seeks to discourage you.

I had heard the term "Spiritual Warfare" from my earliest days as a believer in Christ but, it was when God called me to be an evangelist I really knew from personal experience just what it entails.

We all need prayer because satan desires to sift us as wheat but, I feel, that preachers, pastors and evangelists (and their families) are really in the front line.  We are in need of earnest, believing prayer that the devil does not get the better of us.

Edited by Bob Hutton
change word big to upper case, ordinarily was spelled wrong