• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unbelieving family

• Members
On 6/5/2016 at 8:04 PM, Wmccarthy99 said:

I hope someone on here can help shed some light on this for me since I have heard so many different answers to this that I'm honestly very confused about this. No one in my family believes in Jesus Christ, does that mean I must cut ties with them? It doesn't really make sense that one of the ten commandments would be "Honour thy father and thy mother" and then God would then tell us to not associate with them anymore because they don't believe. I am 26 and had to move back in with my parents because I don't make enough to move out again yet. I don't engage with their sinful behavior, and talk to them about Christ all the time ( they are not interested  :( ). After I first became a believer I read an article somewhere that references 2 Cor 6:14 that said I should completely cut ties with my family. I believed it and told my parents I was leaving and couldn't talk to them anymore and it had my parents in hysterics. I have since been told that this is not the case but it has always stayed with me and It seems sometimes that I'm to attached to my parents and my dog and that Jesus wants me to leave that all behind to follow him.

Unsaved family are  'of this world', it's ok to mix with them just not christian fellowship.

1 Corinthians 5:9-12  I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? Unsaved Family are with out the body.

So we can even 'company' with fornicators of this world.

God Bless