• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Commentaries and Twittering Swallows-David Cloud

• Moderators

We were discussing this very issue recently in another post, thought I might continue it here. This is an article David Cloud just put up this morning on the subject. I will reserve my thoughts until after if there is interest in discussion.

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/bible_commentaries.html

• Administrators

I observed after reading through bro. Cloud's message and the writings of CHS that the entire subject matter is commentaries. I can readily agree with both men's observations and instruction.

But if I am thinking of the same topic that Bro. Mike referred to on this board, the subject went far beyond commentaries. I have read and do read commentaries, they are very useful and part of our learning process, as CHS observed.

In my previous postings on the matter of reading, listening and watching the work of others outside of our own local church, I was not including commentaries.

It must be remembered that Satan was familiar with and used Scripture. I would suggest that he still uses this deceptive tactic today also. It is much too easy for the new Christian to be drawn into false teaching that sounds good by reading the writings of heretics and false teachers.

Religion is Satan's masterpiece of deception, his preachers have written multitudes of books that lead the unsuspecting astray. We have only to listen to radio preachers and t v preachers that some find so worth listening to to determine the validity of this statement.

Scripture tells us that the local church is "THE" pillar and ground of the truth; the definite article "THE" precludes any other means of determining truth. This is God's chosen residence of His truth.

Commentaries are good, when used with discretion and solid Bible teaching. But I do not hold with the idea that other sources of books or tv and radio preaching should be held in the same class as local Independent Baptist Church teaching and preaching.

• Moderators

Agreed, we MUST have some discernment, even, or especially, when dealing with commentaries. I remember reading how a student in a Bible college in the 1800's was caught using a sermon of Spurgeon's, almost word for word, and the headmaster called him on it. He asked why he stole it from Spurgeon and he said he didn't. So the headmaster called Spurgeon and asked him to come look at the sermon. When Spurgeon came and looked at it, he asked where he got the information and the student said he got it from Matthew Henry's commentary. Spurgeon turned to the headmaster and said, "Well, he's telling the truth-that's where I got it."   

I like much of Matthew henry, but he has some weird things-he is very much in seeing ALL prophecy as being past fulfilled-I assume because, since there had been no literal Israel for so long, he, like many, didn't see it as being literally fulfilled in the future in a literal Israel, so he saw it all as past.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Commentaries are good, when used with discretion and solid Bible teaching. But I do not hold with the idea that other sources of books or tv and radio preaching should be held in the same class as local Independent Baptist Church teaching and preaching.

Amen!  Commentaries have been used by God to answer many of my prayers.  They've enabled me to understand things hard to be understood, and are best when they continually point to scripture.