• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Letter to the Editor: Trying to Warn Our Grown Children . . . And Letter to Our Pastor Goes Unanswered

• Members

Letter to the Editor: Trying to Warn Our Grown Children . . . And Letter to Our Pastor Goes Unanswered

Dear Lighthouse Trails: We are very thankful for Lighthouse Trails Publishing and Research, and for all the dedicated watchmen who warn and educate the sheep. We pray for continued wisdom, provision, and protection for everyone who is engaged in presenting and defending the simple and powerful Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are especially concerned because […]

The post Letter to the Editor: Trying to Warn Our Grown Children . . . And Letter to Our Pastor Goes Unanswered appeared first on .

View the full article

• Moderators

Once some have begun down such a path, it seems rare that they are willing to hear they may be wrong.

My old church, Lighthouse Baptist in San Diego, has begun using the altered contemporary music, the rock beat toned down, but the music being popular CCM songs. I don't know how prevalent it is, but I caught a couple songs on You Tube they performed for their Leadership Conference in 2015 or 2014. I emailed the music leader, who emailed me back and told me he was no longer the music leader, so I emailed the guy who was the new leader and he never acknowledged me. The sad thing is, the new director was their orchestra leader, who used to be the leader of the Marine Corps Band, so this is a guy who knows music and I would think he would know better.

I don't know if they have continued the practice, but it is a shame to mail someone with an honest concern, and of course I acknowledged that I don't presume to have any authority over them, that I was just concerned as a former member and one who has attended some of the leadership conferences, and receive nothing at all. But it is between them and the Lord what they do, but I WILL let people know so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not to attend their conferences anymore.

• Members
7 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Once some have begun down such a path, it seems rare that they are willing to hear they may be wrong.

My old church, Lighthouse Baptist in San Diego, has begun using the altered contemporary music, the rock beat toned down, but the music being popular CCM songs. I don't know how prevalent it is, but I caught a couple songs on You Tube they performed for their Leadership Conference in 2015 or 2014. I emailed the music leader, who emailed me back and told me he was no longer the music leader, so I emailed the guy who was the new leader and he never acknowledged me. The sad thing is, the new director was their orchestra leader, who used to be the leader of the Marine Corps Band, so this is a guy who knows music and I would think he would know better.

I don't know if they have continued the practice, but it is a shame to mail someone with an honest concern, and of course I acknowledged that I don't presume to have any authority over them, that I was just concerned as a former member and one who has attended some of the leadership conferences, and receive nothing at all. But it is between them and the Lord what they do, but I WILL let people know so they can make an informed decision as to whether or not to attend their conferences anymore.

Is that the church where Doug Fisher is the pastor? 

Nevermind...I looked it up online. It is the same church. I wasn't asking for the sake of gossip. I was just wondering if it was the same church/pastor that had an influence on me in the past. Many years ago when I was receiving the Sword of the Lord, that church's ad always stuck out with me. It included the catch-phrase "Where the shout has not died out!" Back then, I listened to many of Doug Fisher's sermons simply because that ad stirred my interest. After looking at their website, I see they still use that phrase too.

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Moderators

Yes. The preaching is still top notch, as far as I know-I haven't seen any updates to their sermons on podcasts-used to download them all the time to listen to. And I don't know what happened with the change-up in the music director; Brother Jordan had been there for years-I think when Brother Fisher took over as pastor after, well, less-than-ideal circumstances, I believe Brother Jordan was the first person he called to help him.  I very much miss the conferences-after I became a pastor way out here where IFB's are few and far between, (and now about non-existent, any I would visit anyways, since my old pastor and another pastor friend passed on), those conferences were a great opportunity to get some concentrated preaching, good music and spiritual feeding with like-minded, godly people. But if the music goes south, I don't know that I want to trust going back, should it get worse.