• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hi from a Mississippi Author

• Members

Hello, everyone! My name is Scott Morris, and as the title says, I'm from Mississippi. I found the forum just now by way of a Google search and thought I'd sign up to see if I can get some thoughts on an idea I have. Back in February, I published my first book, a Christian novel for older preteens and younger teens, and I'm looking for a way to make it more accessible to missionaries. I'm not quite sure where to post my idea, so I thought I'd mention it in my introduction so as to be directed to the right spot.

Anyway, a bit more about me: I've served as the music director at my church for the past five years (yes, it is an IFB church). As you've no doubt gathered from the previous paragraph, I enjoy writing, and for the last two years, I've worked with some friends on a website that does local high school sports coverage, in both writing and photography. Considering the fact that I'm starting to see more and more of those kids open up to me, I'm hoping that might provide some ministry opportunities in the future as well.

I hope this will prove to be a good place to discuss some ministry ideas, and I look forward to seeing you all around the boards!

• Members
6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Welcome aboard!  As for your book, what about offering it through Swordbooks?

When you say Swordbooks, Sword of the Lord is the first thing that comes to mind for me. Is that what you're talking about? If not, I'd like to look into what you are referring to. Either way, that might not be a bad idea. I'd have to check into whether or not they'd do print on demand because I published through CreateSpace. Anything that helps get it out is good though. It can't do anyone any good if it doesn't get into their hands.

• Members

I am also from Mississippi. (Cleveland). I, too, have a passion for writing.  I have published three of my books through createspace.com . They are in association with Amazon.com, and the books are available in other countries.  Royalties are deposited directly in my bank account. .35¢ per book.

Amazon just deposited $20 in my account from sales last month.

• Members

@Standing Firm In Christ What type of books do you write? Do you mind my asking what you do to promote them? I've extremely limited on budget, so I've mostly done mine through Facebook.

I set my account up for direct deposit as well. It's a lot easier, and it makes more sense than waiting to get enough for them to send a paper check. I've had some online sales, but I've done most of mine either selling the books myself or by consignment sales. Then again, since I basically have to do it all on a shoestring, so CreateSpace being so cost efficient was a big factor in my choosing them. I don't have any regrets over choosing them. I fully intend to use them again when I release my next book in a few months.

• Members
36 minutes ago, ScottM84 said:

@Standing Firm In Christ What type of books do you write? Do you mind my asking what you do to promote them? I've extremely limited on budget, so I've mostly done mine through Facebook.

I set my account up for direct deposit as well. It's a lot easier, and it makes more sense than waiting to get enough for them to send a paper check. I've had some online sales, but I've done most of mine either selling the books myself or by consignment sales. Then again, since I basically have to do it all on a shoestring, so CreateSpace being so cost efficient was a big factor in my choosing them. I don't have any regrets over choosing them. I fully intend to use them again when I release my next book in a few months.

Thus far, my books have been focused on God's holy tithe.  I do have another that I will be publishing in the near future on poetry and songs that I have written over the last four decades.

promotion of my books has been through readers of my blog and Facebook, Twitter, and word of mouth.