• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Great Study Bible

• Members

http://www.christianbook.com/study-bible-kjv-genuine-black-leather/9780899577487/pd/577487?kw=21434813652&mt=b&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1186432&gclid=CjwKEAjwmdu5BRCg1O3a-tDY0AQSJACKPgRKvUWvh7-kE8ysT-bCn1RsEyB0jNtZ_DyT-bVLpPRp3BoCNqzw_wcB

For those serious about Bible Study and Understanding the scriptures I highly recommend this bible for a few reasons:

1. Many words in the text are coded to strongs numbering system.
2. in back of this bible there is an Strongs Dictionary of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek words. 
3. The Original Languages dictionary in the back is an expanded dictionary that includes AMG Complete Word Study definitions.
4. In the NT some of the greek words have a coding that defines the Greek tense and usage for some of the words, in the back of the bible there is a small explanation of the Greek tenses. 
5. You can use this bible and benefit from the Greek and Hebrew without having any training in the original languages.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I for one am weary of study bibles for they contain the words and thinking of man.  Man can be and is often wrong.  A babe in Christ or an untrained/disciplined person could eventually confuse man's words with God's Word and visa versa.

I believe that the Lord preserved his Word in the English language with the King James bible and feel no need anymore to refer to the ancient languages, the Holy Spirit being my teacher.  What could I miss out on without knowing the Greek or Hebrew?  Well, I used to look up words with my Strong's Concordance, any other reason?

• Members
20 hours ago, MountainChristian said:

Brother Jordan, any idea why burgundy costs less than black?  

black is probably just more popular. 

Also pay attention to genuine or bonded, genuine leather costs more. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
19 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I for one am weary of study bibles for they contain the words and thinking of man.  Man can be and is often wrong.  A babe in Christ or an untrained/disciplined person could eventually confuse man's words with God's Word and visa versa.

I believe that the Lord preserved his Word in the English language with the King James bible and feel no need anymore to refer to the ancient languages, the Holy Spirit being my teacher.  What could I miss out on without knowing the Greek or Hebrew?  Well, I used to look up words with my Strong's Concordance, any other reason?

I use to think more like you in terms of referring only to English when dealing with scriptures.let me give you one illustration of how referring to the original languages can be helpful.

1st Samuel 28:6-7 And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets. Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

1st Chronicles 10:13-14 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the Lord, even against the word of the Lord, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; And enquired not of the Lord: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

These two passages can create quite a a problem if you limit yourself only to English. note here that the Hebrew word translated enquired in 1st samuel 28:6-7, and the Hebrew word translates "enquired" in 1st Chronicles 10:13-14 are two DIFFERENT Hebrew words.

in 1st Samuel the word is  sha'al which means  to inquire; by implication, to request; by extension, to demand.

in 1st Chronicles the word used is darash  which means:   to tread or frequent; usually to follow (for pursuit or search); by implication, to seek or ask; specifically to worship

Basically by looking at the Hebrew you can see that in 1st Samuel that Saul was demanding and seeking God for his own purposes, while in 1st Chronicles God wanted Saul to seek him in order to serve and please him.

Without going to Hebrew this distinction is not nearly as clear. i am convinced that those who attack Greek and Hebrew study are basically trying to make ignorance virtuous. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

I would also say that i tend to be weary of study bible's as well, however the reason why I like this particular Bible is because it allows access to Greek and Hebrew definitions, you can use this bible in a grammatical and etymological fashion. I am just simply convinced that this is a great tool.

the study notes do have some issues, but I do not recommend this bible for it's study notes, but rather for it's Greek and Hebrew tools like the text coding and the expanded Greek and Hebrew dictionary in the back. 

Here are some issues I have with the actual study notes.

The study notes often attempt to "correct" the KJV text by saying such and such should translates such and such way. I ignore these notes. this is the only issue with the study notes that i am currently aware of.

However, the study notes are Dispensational, and I believe from a Pre-Trib point of view.

but like i said, I don't put much stock in the notes of any study Bible.

• Moderators

I agree there are times it is good to go back and look into the original languages. Clearly, there are no 'original texts' we can reliably look into, else it would be worth it even more. But, since the Hebrew part of scripture is of the Masoretic text and I believe there are some of them, (though I would have to study into that) AND we have texts that are over 2000 years old in the Dead Sea Scrolls, at least we have some things pretty reliable and of certain antiquity into which we might enquire. Of course, being always very careful that it doesn't change what we know. It is good for clarification-but many try to use it to change or question what is clear.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

i am convinced that those who attack Greek and Hebrew study are basically trying to make ignorance virtuous. 

In my case I think you're right.  My belief is that God preserved His Word in the King James Bible and it is sufficient for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.  Along with the Holy Spirit of course!  Pamphlets/commentaries, concordances and the Greek and Hebrew can also help but are not required.

I do not have a problem with enquire/inquire as used in those passages btw.  I reckon he didn't enquire enough before he pridefully went and asked someone else and that's what got him into trouble.

Now you mention those study notes.  With some movies I compromise by eating the meat and spitting out the bones but it is wrong and I do it anyway.  I don't do it with bibles or commentaries but you are, be careful.  Those notes are as unclean as the scantily clad women on tv, no, probably even more dangerous.  

• Members

I use to think more like you in terms of referring only to English when dealing with scriptures.let me give you one illustration of how referring to the original languages can be helpful.

1st Samuel 28:6-7 And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets. Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

1st Chronicles 10:13-14 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the Lord, even against the word of the Lord, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it; And enquired not of the Lord: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

These two passages can create quite a a problem if you limit yourself only to English. note here that the Hebrew word translated enquired in 1st samuel 28:6-7, and the Hebrew word translates "enquired" in 1st Chronicles 10:13-14 are two DIFFERENT Hebrew words.

in 1st Samuel the word is  sha'al which means  to inquire; by implication, to request; by extension, to demand.

in 1st Chronicles the word used is darash  which means:   to tread or frequent; usually to follow (for pursuit or search); by implication, to seek or ask; specifically to worship

Basically by looking at the Hebrew you can see that in 1st Samuel that Saul was demanding and seeking God for his own purposes, while in 1st Chronicles God wanted Saul to seek him in order to serve and please him.

Without going to Hebrew this distinction is not nearly as clear. i am convinced that those who attack Greek and Hebrew study are basically trying to make ignorance virtuous. 

Absolutely clear to me without any Hebrew reference, always has been. The context of the passages clears any English confusion. It will come with mileage.

The more Bible mileage you get under your belt, the closer you will come to full circle on your previous "referring only to the English". Only next time when you abandon the 23 contradictory guessicons being currently published, you will understand the English yourself via the Spirit. 

I will hand it to you though, rarely do I see anyone referencing Hebrew to clear up the OT. It is by enlarge the greek of the NT that satan loves to confuse people with.

• Members
2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I do not have a problem with enquire/inquire as used in those passages btw.  I reckon he didn't enquire enough before he pridefully went and asked someone else and that's what got him into trouble.

The issue is not that he did enquire enough.. the problem was he was going to God to get help because he was in trouble, he was not going to God because he was repentant. the two different Hebrew words have different meanings. one means basically to seek something from or to demand and the other has more of an idea of worship. 

2 hours ago, wretched said:

The more Bible mileage you get under your belt, the closer you will come to full circle on your previous "referring only to the English". Only next time when you abandon the 23 contradictory guessicons being currently published, you will understand the English yourself via the Spirit. 

I am sorry but I do not believe we have to restrict ourselves only to the English. The English is not better than the Greek and Hebrew. Not to say that there is anything wrong with our English King James Version.

BTW, we wouldn't even have a King James Version if people took the same position towards Greek and Hebrew that you do. I sure am glad that the KJV translators took the time to study Greek and Hebrew...

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.  Along with the Holy Spirit of course!  Pamphlets/commentaries, concordances and the Greek and Hebrew can also help but are not required.

And neither are Chapter and verse divisions. Though I assume you have a Bible that uses those.

Anyway the purpose for this thread was just to make people aware of a tool that is available. You certainly don't need to delve into Greek or Hebrew to study the Bible, but it definitely sure is helpful. I sure would be interested in hearing a response from someone who does have some skill/study in the original languages.

• Members

The issue is not that he did enquire enough.. the problem was he was going to God to get help because he was in trouble, he was not going to God because he was repentant. the two different Hebrew words have different meanings. one means basically to seek something from or to demand and the other has more of an idea of worship. 

I am sorry but I do not believe we have to restrict ourselves only to the English. The English is not better than the Greek and Hebrew. Not to say that there is anything wrong with our English King James Version.

BTW, we wouldn't even have a King James Version if people took the same position towards Greek and Hebrew that you do. I sure am glad that the KJV translators took the time to study Greek and Hebrew...

You are missing the point friend. You gamble with guessing when using a modern greek lexicon of any publisher to obtain the meaning of "ancient" greek manuscript translations used by the KJB translators.

That guessicon or excerpts from one you hold in your hand is not and cannot be accurate with any margin of certainty. You are far better off relying only on the Spirit to teach you God's Truth.

These guessicons may have the words right in most cases. What they do not have right and cannot have right is what koine words actually translated to in English or even in modern greek back when originally penned.  

Pick a word, any word and then realize that the definition of that word you are reading in your modern lexicon could have very well changed 4 times since originally penned. That is an extreme example of course but please understand the point I am making. You are wasting your time with the greek.

Modern greek will never give you any better understanding of the Word than the Spirit will. Sure it may make you sound smarter to babes and whatnot but it will not to anyone who knows better, quite the opposite really. Not to mention the pathetic displays given by men who correct the English with a greek GUESS. How sadly vain and/or misguided are those men.

God passed the Word on to English with the TR, why waste time fooling with guesses?

• Members
2 hours ago, wretched said:

You are missing the point friend. You gamble with guessing when using a modern greek lexicon of any publisher to obtain the meaning of "ancient" greek manuscript translations used by the KJB translators.

That guessicon or excerpts from one you hold in your hand is not and cannot be accurate with any margin of certainty. You are far better off relying only on the Spirit to teach you God's Truth.

These guessicons may have the words right in most cases. What they do not have right and cannot have right is what koine words actually translated to in English or even in modern greek back when originally penned.  

Pick a word, any word and then realize that the definition of that word you are reading in your modern lexicon could have very well changed 4 times since originally penned. That is an extreme example of course but please understand the point I am making. You are wasting your time with the greek.

Modern greek will never give you any better understanding of the Word than the Spirit will. Sure it may make you sound smarter to babes and whatnot but it will not to anyone who knows better, quite the opposite really. Not to mention the pathetic displays given by men who correct the English with a greek GUESS. How sadly vain and/or misguided are those men.

God passed the Word on to English with the TR, why waste time fooling with guesses?

So when you don't know the definition of an English word what you do? just hope the Spirit magically tells you what the word means? or do you look it up an a Webster's 1828 dictionary? Wretched please do tell me how you learned what the word "quicken" means? Did the Spirit just lead you?

BTW, I don't know why you mentioned modern greek, you and I both know that the N.T. is written in Koine Greek.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Also there are many people who use Greek and Hebrew for their own usage without using it to correct the KJV. it is unfair for you to paint all students of Greek and Hebrew with that same brush. In fact I find it misleading. 

Wretched and Swathdiver can both claim Greek and Hebrew is not profitable to refer to study, but I already gave an example of where looking into the Hebrew can clear up and help with understanding. I have proved my premise with an example, all they have simply done is claimed over and over again that it is not helpful. 

the proof of the profit of Greek and Hebrew study is right there for all to see. I could give other examples where Greek and Hebrew word studies help with Bible interpretation and study. Just a simple study on Greek words behind word "love" in John 21 yields sheds light on the scriptures.

• Members

So when you don't know the definition of an English word what you do? just hope the Spirit magically tells you what the word means? or do you look it up an a Webster's 1828 dictionary? Wretched please do tell me how you learned what the word "quicken" means? Did the Spirit just lead you?

BTW, I don't know why you mentioned modern greek, you and I both know that the N.T. is written in Koine Greek.

Well, the context of quicken gave the clue and the Spirit did the rest :)