• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Just got saved a few weeks ago, but...

• Members

Hello everyone. This may seem silly and I may just be having a panic attack over nothing. I was saved on April 27th and was pulled out of a life of bouncing from religion to religion searching for truth (raised Mormon, Catholic, Wiccan/Pagan, Buddhist, Hindu, Charismatic, even dabbled in Scientology and Jehovah's Wittness). Any who, after I accepted Christ, I continued to smoke. I am hoping today is my first day without cigarettes. Was my salvation not valid or did I lose it already because I was still smoking? I am sorry I am new to all this and I am getting baptized on Sunday, I am just reaching out to more mature Christians for advice because I am going crazy worrying about it. Thanks everyone, Ashleigh Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

• Members

When I was a little kid I thought all sins and bad habits would stop once I got saved (including wetting the bed). Alas, faith in Christ did not stop my bad habits but it did put in me the Holy Ghost who gave in my heart the desire to stop them. Over time I got over some (including the one above!) but I am still working on many. Faith in Christ revived your spirit and saved your soul from Hell but does not automatically remove all the sin and bad habits from your flesh. For the things flesh related they will need to be washed though meditating and practicing the word of God. Your flesh will always be corrupt until you receive your glorified bod. Until then all you can do is keep it under control. You can't save it.

Romans 7:14-25:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, agatewood1988 said:

Hello everyone. This may seem silly and I may just be having a panic attack over nothing. I was saved on April 27th and was pulled out of a life of bouncing from religion to religion searching for truth (raised Mormon, Catholic, Wiccan/Pagan, Buddhist, Hindu, Charismatic, even dabbled in Scientology and Jehovah's Wittness). Any who, after I accepted Christ, I continued to smoke. I am hoping today is my first day without cigarettes. Was my salvation not valid or did I lose it already because I was still smoking? I am sorry I am new to all this and I am getting baptized on Sunday, I am just reaching out to more mature Christians for advice because I am going crazy worrying about it. Thanks everyone, Ashleigh Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

An important question to ask first is, Are you sure you were saved? How were you saved? Be sure this isn't just a phase in your religion du jour. I am not meaning to be mean or cause you to doubt, but there are many, many who believe themselves saved, that are trusting something wrong-a prayer, a baptism, a priest or pastor-how do you KNOW you're saved?

My wife's journey to Christ was similar to yours: raised by a former Catholic/atheist, she went through many areas of the New Age, studied with JW's, and was eventually born again, though she started off as a Pentecostal-she left them when she saw they really didn't follow the Bible too well, relied more on emotion. But when she was saved, there was definite fruit in that the Lord began to convict her about some things: for instance, Halloween had been her favorite holiday, but once saved, she saw clearly with wickedness of it and it was one of the first things to go in her life.   I see you are convicted about the smoking and that's good-don't get discouraged-years of smoking have taken a toll on your flesh, and while the spirit may be right now, you still have to deal with the sinful flesh. Keep praying, give it over to God-as one preacher I once heard said, you need to amputate it-not just back off, but get them out, away, don't buy them, remove yourself from being around people who smoke, change the habits that you associate with them. And above all, remember to deal with it as a sin, not just a bad habit. Repent of it, lay them smokes on the altar at your church and let God have them.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

1 Corinthians 3:11-15

If you have confessed your sins to God our Father, and asked Jesus to come into your heart to be your Lord, because he died for your sins was buried and rose from the dead, you are saved and now belong to Jesus. Your actions will bring rewards if they are for the glory of God. Your sins will cause you to lose some or all of your rewards but not your salvation 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.

• Members

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

What does it mean to be sealed in this verse?

Ephesians 4:30
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

What does it mean to be sealed UNTO the day of redemption?

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

What English tense(past,present or future) is the phrase "shall not come into condemnation"?
How long is "everlasting"?
Why does the passage say hath(which means "has right now") instead of saying might have or could have?

Hebrews 12:6-8 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

1. Why is that God chaseneth and scourageth his children?
2. if these people in Hebrews 12:6-8 lose salvation when they sin as many people believe in this wicked doctrine of insecurity how can it be said that he chastens his sons wouldn't they no longer be sons at this point?

3. What is the reason according to the above verses that God would not chasten for sin?

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

can you ever really KNOW that you have eternal life if it possible to lose it?

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

1. What the word "never perish" mean to you?
2. What does it mean to be plucked out of the Son and the Father's hand?
3. Do you fall under the category of "any man"

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

What does this mean to you?

1 Corinthians 3:11-15
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

How is it that this man's work is burned in this judgment, yet he is still somehow saved?

• Members
On 5/12/2016 at 6:38 AM, agatewood1988 said:

Folks are giving great Biblical advice in this thread, I hope you are reading it..

Don't worry about smoking, it will take care of itself. Just get in the word and pray constantly for the Spirit's power to live for Jesus.

I Cor 6:12, All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
13, Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.

Smoking is no more sin than eating is. It becomes a problem when your are brought under the power of it. Just as fat people are under the power of food, you happen to be under the power of nicotine.

Stay in the Bible and prayer and the time will come when you can overcome it for the Lord. Come under the power of the Word, prayer and the Spirit, the cigarettes will no longer be of interest. The same goes for the gluttenous and winebidders.

Ask yourself if you now want to see your loved ones saved from hell. Ask yourself if you believe every single thing in the Bible that you can now understand. The the answers are yes, then you are undoubtedly saved my friend.