• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Arch Linux - Easy Installer

• Members

As some here may know, I'm a Linux OS user. For anyone who may be a Linux user, and you've wanted to try Arch, but you didn't feel comfortable or ready to attempt installing Arch...this might be for you. If you're new to Linux, DON'T install Arch, or you'll be doing a lot of this --> :bang:

Arch is sort of like the pinnacle of Linux. I won't go into all of the details, because unless you're familiar with Linux (and Arch), it won't mean much to you. :blink: Just know that an Arch installation isn't easy! I've tried several of the "easy" installers...Pacbang, Architect, and Antergos. They were all easy (compared to a regular Arch install), with Antergos being the easiest way to get Arch (most similar to an Ubuntu based installer). However, Antergos isn't pure Arch simply because they include their own software repositories.

So...if you're a Linux nerd like me, and you'd like to try Arch...but you don't want to go through the hours of rig-a-ramole of doing an Arch install "the Arch way", you might consider trying Arch-Anywhere. Instead of the hours it would take to install Arch "the Arch way", you can have Arch installed in +/- 20 minutes (depending on your internet speed). It's similar to the Architect installer, but even easier. Here's the link to their website...http://arch-anywhere.org/ , and here's a video showing the install process...

• Members
1 hour ago, Texianfortruth said:

Just curious, I've run a few different installs (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Puppy, and a GNU install)...what makes you like Arch so much?  I've never tried that particular distro.

Well, my preferred OS is Debian. I use both Debian Stable and Testing.

Arch was more something for me to try, to play around with, and learn more. I've only been using it for a few months, so I can only give you my personal opinion based on my experience.

From what I've seen, Arch uses a lot less disk space than your normal Linux OS. It also uses less resources than a normal Linux OS. That's because with Arch, it only gives you what you need to make the system and software work...so you don't have a bloated system with Arch. Also, Arch always has the newest software...some refer to it as "bleeding edge" software. So, you have a system that's not bloated, uses less resources, and has the most current software available. People claim also that because of that, Arch is blazingly fast when using it. I personally haven't noticed much of a difference in speed. Maybe it's a little faster, but not enough to make me go, "WOW!"

However, since it always delivers the newest software, you run the risk of breaking a piece of software or even breaking your whole OS when you do updates. You have to really know your system AND how to fix it if something goes wrong...

I've used it almost daily for about 3 months, and it has run flawlessly. But then again, I don't have a lot of software that I use...so there's less to break. :nuts:

Now, with that said, the novelty of using Arch has worn off for me. Don't get me wrong...I still like it and think it's a great OS, but I still prefer Debian. I'll keep Arch on my computer (I dual boot it and Debian on one of my computers), but after years of using Linux and trying different OS's...Ubuntu and several of its derivatives (including Mint), Debian and several of its derivatives, Arch and a few of its derivatives, and many others including some little known ones, straight Debian is what I personally prefer. It's all I have on 3 computers (except the laptop that I dual boot Debian and Arch on).

Arch gives you a light system that's light on resources, but I can get basically the same thing with Debian by doing a net install, only installing the base system, and then adding only the software that I want to use. The software on Debian Stable is older, but everything works and you don't have to worry about your system or software getting broken. Debian Testing gives you newer software than Stable, but you run the risk of something possibly breaking. However, in the years that I've used Debian Testing, I've never had anything break so that it wouldn't work...it's plenty stable for me. The only problem that I can remember having with Testing is they replaced the regular volume controller with one from PulseAudio, and its icon's background wouldn't adapt to certain theme colors on the panel...so after messing around with it for a couple of days, I just installed a different volume controller.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Bro No Nicolaitans.

As you know I am a complete beginner at Linux, and so far it has mostly  done all I need.

However, I can't find anywhere to adjust the screen brightness or how to adjust the mouse and touch pad settings.  The latter was a Synaptics touch pad device.

• Members
26 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Bro No Nicolaitans.

As you know I am a complete beginner at Linux, and so far it has mostly  done all I need.

However, I can't find anywhere to adjust the screen brightness or how to adjust the mouse and touch pad settings.  The latter was a Synaptics touch pad device.

Screen brightness is one of the weaknesses in Linux. The only thing that I personally know you can try is to install xbacklight. I've read that it works on some computers but not others.

Now, I don't think you'll get any type of user interface with xbacklight; I think it's controlled by issuing terminal commands. To install it, open your terminal, and enter the following command...

sudo apt-get install xbacklight

After it's installed, I'm not sure if you'll need to reboot first or if it will work immediately after installation. However, to adjust the brightness, open the terminal and enter...

xbacklight -set <percentage>

...where <percentage> is a number value percentage of 100. So, an example would be...

xbacklight -set 50

If it works on your computer, you may have to play with the number until you find what you like.

As to the mouse and touchpad settings...

What exactly are you wanting to do?

If you're wanting to change the behavior of the mouse (speed, left/right button controls, etc), look in your menu under either Preferences (or possibly System Tools) and see if you have an application called Keyboard and Mouse (or something similar). With that, you can control basic mouse behavior.

Touchpad settings are a bit different. What exactly are you wanting to do with the touchpad? Turn it off completely? Only have it turn off while typing? I can't remember if I already added those features to your system or not. Those are controlled with commands added to what's called an autostart file. Let me know what you're wanting to do with your touchpad, and we'll go from there. :)

• Members

I don't know that I want to anything at present but under windows I sometimes lost either the mouse or the touchpad.  I could go to the touchpad settings and restore them.    I usually use the mouse but sometimes the touchpad, but I don't get on well with touchpad.

What are the differences between Lubuntu and Debian?

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

I don't know that I want to anything at present but under windows I sometimes lost either the mouse or the touchpad.  I could go to the touchpad settings and restore them.    I usually use the mouse but sometimes the touchpad, but I don't get on well with touchpad.

What are the differences between Lubuntu and Debian?

Okay...setting the touchpad up is actually very easy...it just sounds difficult, because it's not what you're used to. I will say this, I've never lost the mouse on Linux. The only time I lose the touchpad (personally) is when I purposely turn it off. LOL! However, my method of doing that is as I mentioned above...with a command added to the autostart file. It's very easy to do though.

The difference between Lubuntu and Debian? Basically, Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. Let's put it this way, and it's a shortened version...

Lubuntu is Debian made easier.

• Members
43 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Okay...setting the touchpad up is actually very easy...it just sounds difficult, because it's not what you're used to. I will say this, I've never lost the mouse on Linux. The only time I lose the touchpad (personally) is when I purposely turn it off. LOL! However, my method of doing that is as I mentioned above...with a command added to the autostart file. It's very easy to do though.

The difference between Lubuntu and Debian? Basically, Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. Let's put it this way, and it's a shortened version...

Lubuntu is Debian made easier.

Thanks bro.

How do I find the autostart file?

• Members
11 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Thanks bro.

How do I find the autostart file?

Well, the easiest thing to do is to open your menu and go to...

Preferences > Default applications for LXSession

Once that opens, on the left side of its window, there is an Autostart tab. Click on it.

In Autostart, look to see if there's anything listed that looks like this...

syndaemon -i 3.0 -d

...or...
synclient TouchpadOff=1

The first one above will disable the touchpad while typing. It's set for a 3 second delay (hence, the 3.0). In other words, once you start typing, the touchpad will be disabled and won't work again until 3 seconds AFTER you've stopped typing. That number can be adjusted; such as, 2.0, 1,0, 5.0, etc...

The second one will disable the touchpad all together...it won't work at all while your system is in use.

If they are listed already, put a checkmark next to the one you want to use. Then, when you log out and back in (or reboot), it will take effect.

If they aren't listed, and you want to add one of those so that it takes effect when your system starts up, look toward the top of that window where it says...

Manual autostarted applications

You will see a button that says --> + Add

Next to that button is an area where you can fill in a command.

Copy and paste the command you want to use, then click the + Add button. It will take effect when you log out and back in or reboot.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Invicta said:

One more question, if I may.

Is it possible to set the NUM LOCK to come on when the laptop boots up?

Sure!

I'm not sure if it's installed or not, but open the terminal and enter the following command...

sudo apt-get install numlockx

If it's already installed, it will say so in the terminal.

Now...to have it activated when the laptop boots up, you will need to add that to the autostart file...just like I described above for the touchpad.

Add this in the empty field next to the +Add button...

numlockx

...then click the +Add button.

It will then be activated after you log out and back in...or reboot. :)

• Members
3 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Sure!

I'm not sure if it's installed or not, but open the terminal and enter the following command...

sudo apt-get install numlockx

If it's already installed, it will say so in the terminal.

Now...to have it activated when the laptop boots up, you will need to add that to the autostart file...just like I described above for the touchpad.

Add this in the empty field next to the +Add button...

numlockx

...then click the +Add button.

It will then be activated after you log out and back in...or reboot. :)

Thanks, I have done that and it works, but only after I have typed in the password.  It comes on earlier but goes off for the password.