• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No wicked thing

• Members

Psalm 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes"

The word set, means to place in front of. the word no means "none" or "zero". That is elimination and not minimization friends. This means it a movie or TV show has 1 curse word, or 1 song of a worldly genre (Including CCM and Christian Rock), or one image of a woman dressed immodestly, then we should reject that movie or TV show.

If Christians would simply believe and follow this verse, it would daresay it would eliminate 99.9% of movies and TV that Christians watch. I am concerned with how many Christian families and homes where this principle is not followed.

In a few weeks I will try to upload a speech I am doing for my Rhetoric class, the thesis will be "Movies and Entertainment have contributed to the spiritual decline of Christian homes"

• Members
On 5/7/2016 at 10:28 AM, Jordan Kurecki said:

Psalm 101:3 "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes"

The word set, means to place in front of. the word no means "none" or "zero". That is elimination and not minimization friends. This means it a movie or TV show has 1 curse word, or 1 song of a worldly genre (Including CCM and Christian Rock), or one image of a woman dressed immodestly, then we should reject that movie or TV show.

If Christians would simply believe and follow this verse, it would daresay it would eliminate 99.9% of movies and TV that Christians watch. I am concerned with how many Christian families and homes where this principle is not followed.

In a few weeks I will try to upload a speech I am doing for my Rhetoric class, the thesis will be "Movies and Entertainment have contributed to the spiritual decline of Christian homes"

By what you say here, there would be no reason for a Christian home to have a TV. When I visit my sister her TV is always on (only exception is if the children are playing games on the TV) and it doesn't matter what channel they are watching there are sinful words, actions, attitudes, dress, ideology, etc.

The weather channel features immodestly dressed women, as do the news channels. Even the cartoon channels features immodestly dressed characters. Disrespect for parents is rampant in most youth programs, as well as other programs.

The commercials are nearly all sinful in one manner or another.

Someone posted a side-by-side comparison of how "trashy" girls dressed on TV in the 80s and how they dress today, and by comparison the 80s dress style looks almost modest. Unfortunately, many Christians today base their dress on comparison rather than Scripture.

• Members

Bro. Jordan,

Great preaching brother.

Brethren,

Brother Jordan lists eight principles in the video. All of the principles are noteworthy in this subject matter and worthy for serious comtemplation. All of the principles are connected with the scriptures listed. I would suggest for all of us to listen intently to the video.

Brother Jordan's Eight Principles

1. Psalm 101:3, "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

2. Lamentations 3:51, "Mine eye affecteth mine heart because of all the daughters of my city."

3. Matthew 6:22 & 23, "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But is thine eye be evil, thy whole body whall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"

4. Ephesians 4:30, "And grieve not the holy spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

5.Song of Solomon 2:15, "Take us the foxes, the litle foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes."

6. 1 John 2:15, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world> If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

7. Psalm 97:10, "Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; hedelivereth them out of the hand of the wicked."

8. Habakkuk 1:13, "Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?"

God bless.

Alan

• Members

Some family members run the tv blasting all day even when not watching it.  They won't turn it off either when we come to visit so conversation is moot.  But then again, maybe that's done on purpose!  hehehe

There's more peverseness in many of the commercials compared with the shows.  I do not like watching live television, even the news, because of the depraved commercials.

• Members

The news, and weather programs are filled with immodestly dressed women making sure their immodesty is obvious and in between this are commercials for beer, greed, selfishness and more immodestly dressed women (and men too at times).

We have a TV which is off far more than on. We get asked why our TV is never on when someone stops by. If we stop at most other homes the TV is a constant, sometimes with two or more TVs on in different rooms. I know some folks who literally never turn their TV off, even the one in their bedroom.

• Members

At one time John we left the TVs on because we liked all the white noise in the background.  Many of my relatives are like this, they bombard themselves with uselessness and this subconsciously affects their emotions in a poor way, separating them from God even more.

• Members

You certainly weren't the only one. In our early years our TV was on from early in the morning until bed time. My wife liked having it on for the children all day and she liked to be able to sit and watch some throughout the day.

Back then I was generally working ten hour days, six days a week, and when I got home I had yard, garden, home and other chores to tend to. With all that going on back then I usually watched a little news, had a couple shows I would try to catch during the week, and not time for any more than that.

These days the TV is mostly off, if I don't want the house so quiet I will turn on Christian radio (we have a small local station, which doesn't come in all the time, which plays old sermons and songs) or play a sermon CD.

• Members

The hellavision is one of my weaknesses.  All those John Wayne and other westerns to watch over and over, most are black and white and few were made after 1960.  Still most are not God-honoring then there was Swamp Loggers and now Barnwood Builders.  We are blessed to have an IFB radio station which I listen to in the car but our home stereo has been silent since we moved.  We just bought a new antenna and will put it up over the weekend and get Christ-honoring music flowing through our home again.  Our Christian CD selection is wanting but plan to remedy that soon as well.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

We don't watch TV, nor have one in our living room. But we do have a large computer to play DVD's or watch Netflix on. No commercials. No unwanted movies - nor advertising. We are very picky on the language and dress codes in our entertainment, and sometimes it's hard to find anything worthy.

As for no 'wicked thing' when having your eyes open - it's kinda hard when you are shopping to NOT see wickedness at, say, Walmart.

Wicked 'things' are everywhere!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Genevanpreacher said:

We don't watch TV, nor have one in our living room. But we do have a large computer to play DVD's or watch Netflix on. No commercials. No unwanted movies - nor advertising. We are very picky on the language and dress codes in our entertainment, and sometimes it's hard to find anything worthy.

As for no 'wicked thing' when having your eyes open - it's kinda hard when you are shopping to NOT see wickedness at, say, Walmart.

Wicked 'things' are everywhere!

But that's not ME (or you) setting it before my (or your) eyes.

• Members
1 hour ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

But that's not ME (or you) setting it before my (or your) eyes.

But does 'choosing' to go there equate the same?

It's along the same lines as people not believing in going to restaurants where wine is offered.

Then shopping at Walmart. Where wine is offered.

• Moderators

I've gotten to where I watch very little TV anymore. I do't have cable, just like 19 local channels. I watch sometimes Columbo, MST3K, The Hulk (70's with bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno), little else. Just not worth the time. We mostly keep the TV s we can watch vidoes sometimes, or so I can put things from the computer up for us both to watch. Recently my wife and I have been watching the old Dr. Dino College series, which is sort of an expanded version of his seminar, more indepth. I am trying to get ready to put together my own creation vs Evolution thing and using his work, as well as information from other areas, to pull it together.

But boy, with my past, I sure understand the dangers of placing anything unclean before the eyes, especially because once before the eyes, they are always in the mind, and it take very little to pull them back to the forefront. Because of a youth spend in feeding my flesh, I will never be rid of those things this side of glory, so it is a continual fight. It is why I try to hard to sound a warning bell before the young people in our church.

• Administrators

This pendulum can also swing in a dangerous direction that is too far in the the right direction. Carried to its extreme, which is natural for mankind, it will result in legalism. I am not warning against the scripture cited, or the convictions of anyone posting to this thread, I am simply cautioning against extremism.

1John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

We are all individuals and what may convict me, may not convict you. (Outright sin excepted of course.) For instance, to shop or not shop at Walmart because they sell wine is quite different from frequenting a bar or nightclub.

This sort of thing, carried to its extreme would be cause to sequester ourselves like monks or nuns. This is not to say that we should not be careful in what we allow ourselves, but it is simply to caution against becoming too extreme.