• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Testament Passages on Persecution

• Members

Due to some comments in another thread, I have been pondering today upon various New Testament passages concerning the persecution of the faithful.  Even so, I have started this thread for the quotation of such New Testament passages on persecution, in order that we might be spiritually edified and encouraged thereby.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Matthew 5:10-12 -- "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

1.  The Reality -- Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake.  Blessed are ye, when men shall . . .
     A.  The Verbal Attack -- Shall revile you
     B.  The Physical Abuse -- And persecute you
     C.  The False Accusation -- And shall say all manner of evil against you falsely

2.  The Reason -- Persecuted for righteousness' sake.  For my sake.

3.  The Reward -- For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  For great is your reward in heaven.

4.  The Recognition -- For so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

5.  The Requirement -- Rejoice, and be exceeding glad.

Don't get me wrong I like it

Can you demonstrate 1B with Scripture. I would appreciate it

• Members
2 hours ago, wretched said:

Don't get me wrong I like it

Can you demonstrate 1B with Scripture. I would appreciate it

Brother Wretched,

I am not exactly certain of the focus for your question; therefore, I am not certain if the following is on the mark for that question.  However, is this what you are seeking --

2 Corinthians 11:24-26 -- "Are they ministers of Christ?  (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep."

1 Thessalonians 2:14-15 -- "For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews: who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men."

Revelation 2:8-10 -- "And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.  Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

Revelation 2:12-13 -- "And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Also consider, the imprisonment of Peter and John, the stoning of Stephen, the persecutions by Saul, the martyrdom of James, the imprisonment of Peter, etc.

• Members
Just now, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother Wretched,

I am not exactly certain of the focus for your question; therefore, I am not certain if the following is on the mark for that question.  However, is this what you are seeking --

2 Corinthians 11:24-26 -- "Are they ministers of Christ?  (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep."

1 Thessalonians 2:14-15 -- "For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews: who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men."

Revelation 2:8-10 -- "And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.  Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

Revelation 2:12-13 -- "And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Also consider, the imprisonment of Peter and John, the stoning of Stephen, the persecutions by Saul, the martyrdom of James, the imprisonment of Peter, etc.

Perfect, thanks Bro. Scott

• Members

Paul suffered myriad physical persecutions and infirmities. 2 Cor. 11:

23 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

2 Tim. 3:12  Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Matthew 5:43-48 -- "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.  For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?  Do not even the publicans the same?  And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others?  Do not even the publicans so?  Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

1.  The Correction -- Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.  But I say unto you . . .

2.  The Command -- Love your enemies, bless them . . ., do good to them . . ., and pray for them . . .

3.  The Circumstance -- . . . Your enemies, . . . them that curse you, . . . them that hate you, and . . . them which despitefully use you, and persecute you

4.  The Cause -- That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven

5.  The Clarity -- For he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

6.  The Confrontation -- For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?  Do not even the publicans the same?  And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others?  Do not even the publicans so?

7.  The Character -- Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

• Administrators

Bro. Scott,

It would seem that according to your list of definitions of "persecution", that you have been greatly blessed by this forum.

Matthew 5:10-12 -- "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

" 5.  The Requirement -- Rejoice, and be exceeding glad. "   :coffee2:

• Members
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Scott,

It would seem that according to your list of definitions of "persecution", that you have been greatly blessed by this forum.

Matthew 5:10-12 -- "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

" 5.  The Requirement -- Rejoice, and be exceeding glad. "   :coffee2:

Well said, Brother Jim. :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

(Hmmm. I forgot that I had started this thread. Sorry, all.)

Matthew 10:16-39 -- "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.  But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; and ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.  But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.  For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.  And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.  And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.  The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.  It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord.  If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?  Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.  What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?  And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.  Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.  And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.  He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.  He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."

1.  The Circumstance -- Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves.

2.  The Character -- Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

3.  The Caution -- But beware of men.
     A.  Beware of religion -- For they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
     B.  Beware of government -- And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles . . . .   
     C.  Beware of family -- And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death . . . .  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.  And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
     D.  Beware of all men --  And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake.

4.  The Communication -- But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.  For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

5.  The Continuance -- But he that endureth to the end shall be saved.  But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

6.  The Clarity -- The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.  It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord.  If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

7.  The Counsel -- Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known . . . .  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 

8.  The Command -- What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. 

9.  The Confidence -- Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?  And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

10.  The Consequences  
       A.  For faithfulness -- Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
       B.  For unfaithfulness -- But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
       C.  In unfaithfulness -- He that findeth his life shall lose it.
       D.  In faithfulness -- And he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

11.  The Commitment  
       A.  For the Lord over family -- He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 
       B.  For the Lord over self -- And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Luke 12:51-53 – “Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth?  I tell you, Nay; but rather division: for from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.  The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.”

1.  The Corrective – The Person, work, and gospel of Christ will NOT bring peace on the earth.

“Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth?  I tell you, Nay”

2.  The Warning – The Person, work, and gospel of Christ will bring division on the earth.

“I tell you, Nay; but rather division.”

3.  The Reality – The Person, work, and gospel of Christ will bring division even into households.

“For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.  The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.”

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle