• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bono Meets With “The Message” Author Eugene Peterson

• Members

Bono Meets With “The Message” Author Eugene Peterson

The following is posted for informational and research purposes and not as an endorsement. The video is part of a new film project by the emergent Fuller Theological Seminary. To him who has ears to hear, let him hear.   Related Information: NEW BOOKLET TRACT: The Message “Bible”— A Breach of Truth The New Age […]

The post Bono Meets With “The Message” Author Eugene Peterson appeared first on .

View the full article

• Members

I had almost forgotten...yes, I watched the entire video...in the video, they talked alot about the Psalms.

At one point. Peterson said that he tried to stay true to the Hebrew during his translating.

Soooo...I thought I'd take a gander at the Psalms from the Message. It didn't take long to see that Peterson wasn't concerned with the Hebrew at all...

Psalm 1

Yes...this is Psalm 1

1 How well God must like you - you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road, you don't go to Smart-Mouth College. 
2 Instead you thrill to God's Word, you chew on Scripture day and night. 
3 You're a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, Never dropping a leaf, always in blossom. 
4 You're not at all like the wicked, who are mere windblown dust - 
5 Without defense in court, unfit company for innocent people. 
6 God charts the road you take. The road they take is Skid Row.

Yep...just like the Hebrew! 
Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

From what I've read of Peterson it's likely he meant "true to the Hebrew meaning...but in a modern way".

If I recall, he originally said he came up with The Message as a means of making a more simplified, easy to understand paraphrase for his children.

Personally, I find The Message to be confusing and hard to follow, not easy at all. One of the few Bibles I dislike more is The Amplified. Ugh!