• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

*waves*

• Members

Hello there! Too be perfectly upfront, I am not a christian. I am an agnostic - one of those wishy washy people who can't be an honest atheist or religious person - I must sit on the fence and refuse to choose sides. Don't worry though, I am not here looking for a fight or a debate. I am just interested in discussing a book/author I stumbled on a bit ago and fell in love with, and someone recommended I try more fundamentalist type christians since they may likely be more familiar with the book. But all of that is discussed on another thread:). 

About me...I was raised catholic as a child - I always say my mama is more catholic than the pope. I think that is especially true with the current pope. When I was 12 my dad got custody of me. He was a christian of the protestant variety. He made us go to mass for awhile due to issues with my mom and court, but then after about a year he let us both decide we weren't interested in mass. Then we made some rounds of some churches in the small town we lived in. 

Much hilarity ensued. We went to one where they spoke in tongues. At first I thought people were just being rude and talking while the preacher prayed, till I figured out what was happening. It made us all very uncomfortable - and as teenagers my brother and I were greatly amused. The next one was a normal baptist church and the next night the preacher visited us with two deacons. My dad was polite enough to pull the dog-hair infused blanket off the couch and tell them to ignore the staring dogs, cause they were sitting on the dog bed! They never came back. Then we went to a church of a friend of mine. Three sundays in a nice lady asked me to pray with her. I had no idea what she was praying about. But then she told me to go tell the preacher I prayed with her - in front of the church. Confused, I did. I was raised to be obedient, after all! He announced me saved and scheduled me for baptism that night. My dad was surprised and questioned me after church, and nixed that business when he found out what happened. After that he just kinda gave up and we turned into little heathens lol.

I am forty years old but I feel 25. I am happily unmarried, but am not opposed to the idea of being married in the future should I meet a man I respect and love enough to make that kind of commitment too. But it isn't something I am looking for. I live with my best friend since 7th grade and my part mini pincher/part chihuahua. 

I work in customer service at a call center, and have worked customer service my whole life. I love customer service. No, seriously, I do. I love my job - two days off is my max before I get restless and want to go back to work. Honest. No one ever believes me when I tell them how much I love my job, but it's true!

Politically I am a fiscal and foreign relations conservative, social libertarian. I am a Trumper through and through and enjoy political discussion/debate as long as it remains civil.

Hobbies - my biggest one is reading. I love reading. I have a ton of amazing books, and always have one or two going. Right now I am reading a Susan Warner story called The Hills of Shatemuc and a book by Vox Day and Dominic Saltarelli called "On the Existence of Gods". Both are very good. I also write stories for strictly self-entertainment. Love taking my dog to the dogpark, spend a lot of time avoiding my family, and at work during overnight shifts I play Minecraft. I periodically will play Hearthstone till I get too frustrated and start raging at the game so hard I scare my dog.

Music I enjoy and listen to a wide variety, from classical to heavy metal.

Not a big tv watcher. For the longest time I didn't even have one, but I have one now and enjoy watching cable news shows since I am super into politics this election cycle.

Can't think of anything else! So I will just end it here.

• Members

Hi Chantie; welcome to the forum! :th_tiphat:

I saw your other thread. I'm unfamiliar with both the author and book; however, it has stirred my interest. I might try perusing archive.org to see if it's available there.

We have a moderator here who is well-read and has experience working in libraries...perhaps she may be familiar with the book and/or author. However, I can't speak for her...so we will just have to wait and see if she (or anyone else) can help you with your question regarding whether the book's potrayal of Christianity is biblically accurate or not.

If you find that you have time, I would like to invite you to visit one of the websites that I've made...

http://john3verse7.weebly.com/

Again, welcome to the forum, and thank you for such an honest, detailed, and enjoyable introduction. 

• Members

Hi chantie and welcome to our nut house!  Did your father accurately explain what biblical salvation is and if so, why have you put it off?  Do you believe in a literal heaven and hell?  Do you believe in sin?  Who is God to you?  What is your view on the bible?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

John 3:16-20 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki