• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

As many of you know, we are commanded to "Study" to show ourselves approved. God places a priority and a premium on personal Bible Study. So my question is how do you study your bible? what methods do you use? 

I find myself constantly using my iPad to look up Greek and Hebrew words, as well as searching for words and verses.

One thing that I like doing us taking a particular book of the Bible and reading it over and over and over again until I really understand the main focus and layout of the book, I often would read through different commentaries on the book in addition to my daily reading in the actual book. I particularly like H.A. Ironside or Oliver B. Green. 

How about you?

• Administrators

First of all I pray. God has something for each of us every day, but He is not going to drop it out of the sky on us. What He has for us will be found in His Word. So, I prayerfully approach the reading of His Word as I would if I were preparing a Sermon or lesson.

Then I do actually prepare a sermon or lesson, I know of no better way to study than to study in preparation for something that God gives you with the purpose of teaching or influencing others. After all, if we are called to preach that is our life's purpose.

This also serves another purpose, you will have a lot of material ready for unexpected calls to fill a pulpit, or for times when you might be stuck for subject material.

I also do a lot of Bible reading out loud because I consider good enunciation, correct pronunciation, especially hard names, as vital to any ministry.

There is not much that is any more embarrassing than not being able to read correctly in a public setting.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from my experience.

• Members

I let the bible define its own terms.  Meaning that I don't study the bible "deeper" by delving into word etymology, but "horizontal".  When I encounter a word, or term, I seek out every other use of that word in the bible to see how it is used, I note especially the first time it is used and incorporate "the law of first mention" and balance every other use of that word from that reference, I rarely go to the Greek or Hebrew dictionary and never what someone else has written about the bible.  

Edited by 2bLikeJesus
Spelling correction

• Members

As far as commentaries are concerned, Oliver B. Greene is my favorite choice.

Concerning prophecy, Clarence Larkin is one of the best.

Concerning the manuscript issue, Laurence Vance and Cloud will be a blessing.

Coupled with a Strong's Concordance, you can learn a lot.

9 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

I let the bible define its own terms.  

Amen and amen!

• Members

It will greatly help you to understand scripture if you note - not only what is spoken and written, but of whom and to whom, with what words, at what time, where, to what extent, with what circumstances, considering what goes before and what follows.

• Members

John R. Rice has many books, booklets, and phamplets, on many various subjects. He is considered, in my estimation, a model IFB evangelist who stood for the doctrines of the scriptures and whose testimony bore witness of the work of Christ in his life and ministry.

All of Rice's material are worth reading and studying. As an example, "The Power of Pentecost or Fulness of the Spirit," is a classic when dealing with the issue of the Holy Spirit, a spirit-filled individual, the issue of Tongues, power in soul-winning, and other topics concerning the work of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament Age.

Most of John R. Rice's books are found, reasonably priced, in used Christian Bookstores. Here is the website for a full listing of new books and phamplets:http://www.swordbooks.com/bibles-2-2.aspx 

Edited by Alan
grammer