• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Brother Kurecki,

Will see you at the Preaching Conference, yes?  I am looking forward to it - to the conference & to meeting with you (if we are able).  Will be pulling in sometime Monday afternoon to set up my book table (in the lobby of the auditorium, I believe -- new setup requirements this year).  Will be staying on campus in the guys dorm.  Will be leaving sometime Friday morning for home.  I will be looking for you (and that is not a threat, that is a promise).

Will be praying for the Lord's will and grace concerning your marriage need!!

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

24 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Maybe your wife will be found in that strange new land you're headed to?

Perhaps, though I'm tempted to think not likely.

I sure am too much like Sarah when she laughed at God's promise to Abraham. My faith is so small.

Brother Jordan, Prayers sent up that God's will be done. If God means for you to have a wife, He will provide. However, if God means for you to devote yourself wholly to Him for the time being, I am sure He has a very good reason. Prayers also for safe travels and that many are reached with the gospel. You are to be commended for your unselfish desires to serve the Lord. Prayers also that God greatly bless and watch over you as you serve Him. Please stay in touch with us here on OB if possible!

God's ways and timing are perfect even when we can't see what He is working behind the scenes in our lives. Even small faith can reap great results and the Lord is open to our prayers for help in this. As we read in Mark 9:24 when the man said, "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

Ask the Lord to strengthen you in your inner man. Seek His wisdom. Keep yourself immersed in the Word, prayer and about His business and trust He will work all things together for good.

As Paul points out, the battle between our flesh and the Spirit is continual. Be strong and of good courage for Christ has overcome.

My prayers go forth for you.

There was a teacher in our local church who regularly asked the pastor to pray for a husband for her.  For years this went on, she knew she wanted to be and was called to be a missionary's wife but still she was teaching.  Though she didn't know it at the time (he did) she met her future husband at a missions conference.  Then they met again and again and today she's proud to call this young man her husband and they are on the mission field in South America with 3 children at last count.  She waited on the Lord because the fella was too young at the time she started praying!  

So maybe your future bride has not come of age yet?  Carry on and the Lord will present her to you in His time, not yours.  

10 hours ago, Ronda said:

However, if God means for you to devote yourself wholly to Him for the time being, I am sure He has a very good reason.

Excellent point to read and study over and should lead Jordan right to I Cor 7.

I suspect the Bible teaches that this is all God wants from every single saint in relation to marriage whether first marriage or subsequent.

21 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Perhaps, though I'm tempted to think not likely.

I sure am too much like Sarah when she laughed at God's promise to Abraham. My faith is so small.

I recommend to you Jordan that you prayerfully determine why exactly you feel you need a wife? According to God's Word it is certainly not to better serve Him so what exactly is the need?

Those already married have no choice but to stay, they must honor their commitment. And those passages dealing with husbands and wives is directed to those people but according to God (and not men) however, if they didn't have that worldly baggage they could be totally free to pick up their cross and follow Him. This goes for both men and women in I Cor 7. Of course most cases you hear of folks in this dilemma of feeling the "need" of a spouse are squandering their freedom on the world anyway so it is a moot chapter of Scripture to them.

Anyone who has been around a day or two knows the fleshly needs of men and women. Men are driven by sex and women are driven by security; neither of which glorifies God or serves Him.

The earth is already populated Jordan, the lost do that fine. It sure doesn't sound like God needs us to do it even 2000 years ago anymore.

Food for thought that I doubt you will hear echoed anywhere else but pray about it. One thing is definitely for sure: God doesn't command you to marry nor anyone else; quite the contrary according to God in I Cor 7 which is far more direct, clear and applicable to you than any other passages of Scriptures dealing with this subject.

I think God made it clear through Paul that our purpose is to lay down our lives every day for the Gospel and not to follow worldly pursuits which absolutely do include marriage and raising a family. That will not amount to beans in eternity. Think about it.

5 minutes ago, wretched said:

Excellent point to read and study over and should lead Jordan right to I Cor 7.

I suspect the Bible teaches that this is all God wants from every single saint in relation to marriage whether first marriage or subsequent.

I recommend to you Jordan that you prayerfully determine why exactly you feel you need a wife? According to God's Word it is certainly not to better serve Him so what exactly is the need?

Those already married have no choice but to stay, they must honor their commitment. And those passages dealing with husbands and wives is directed to those people but according to God (and not men) however, if they didn't have that worldly baggage they could be totally free to pick up their cross and follow Him. This goes for both men and women in I Cor 7. Of course most cases you hear of folks in this dilemma of feeling the "need" of a spouse are squandering their freedom on the world anyway so it is a moot chapter of Scripture to them.

Anyone who has been around a day or two knows the fleshly needs of men and women. Men are driven by sex and women are driven by security; neither of which glorifies God or serves Him.

The earth is already populated Jordan, the lost do that fine. It sure doesn't sound like God needs us to do it even 2000 years ago anymore.

Food for thought that I doubt you will hear echoed anywhere else but pray about it. One thing is definitely for sure: God doesn't command you to marry nor anyone else; quite the contrary according to God in I Cor 7 which is far more direct, clear and applicable to you than any other passages of Scriptures dealing with this subject.

I think God made it clear through Paul that our purpose is to lay down our lives every day for the Gospel and not to follow worldly pursuits which absolutely do include marriage and raising a family. That will not amount to beans in eternity. Think about it.

I disagree with saying that marriage will not amount to anything.

1. God says marriage is honorable in all.

2. God says marriage is a picture of Christ and the Church, I have a really hard time believing marriage does not glorify God.

I really hope that God has not called me to singleness, I have had a strong desire to be married for as long as I can remember, and I hope God would not allow this desire to be in my heart and to go unfulfilled, however, should God will that be the case, then so be it.

3 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I disagree with saying that marriage will not amount to anything.

1. God says marriage is honorable in all.

2. God says marriage is a picture of Christ and the Church, I have a really hard time believing marriage does not glorify God.

I really hope that God has not called me to singleness, I have had a strong desire to be married for as long as I can remember, and I hope God would not allow this desire to be in my heart and to go unfulfilled, however, should God will that be the case, then so be it.

Ah, I see Jordan. Well, good for you then and maybe one will come along soon.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, swathdiver said:

One cannot pastor a New Testament Church unless they are the husband of one wife and have children.  Wretched's statement is not of God.

Bishop qualifications:

1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

All present tense.

None are written in the past tense. None are intended by God to be thought of as lifelong quals long before a man is even saved. Had they been, God would have worded them differently. He didn't, He worded them in present tense only. IOW: a man wants the office of bishop, he must currently possess these qualifications.

One marriage? Never divorced? Never widowed? Nope it doesn't say anything like that.

If one wife means never divorced, it would say that. Divorce is commonly mentioned throughout the Bible so think for a minute and wonder why it is worded "husband of one wife". Nowhere else in the Bible is divorce referred to like this (ie. husband of two wives, three wives, etc.). Now in OT Soloman's case it is loosely mentioned like this and he was not "divorced" (get the coorelation?).  It was common practice in those days and even today in some cultures to have multiple wives.

To believe this lie (and I believe it is a lie and not just a common misinterpretation) then you would have to concede that all quals are past tense just like the wife one transcending their lost and saved lives. IE, the man could have never punched anyone, including childhood; could have never drank wine; could have never wanted something that belongs to someone else, etc...

Apostles were elders of churches. They planted all of the churches in the NT and lead them while training others to lead. There is no mention of wives and marriages and children with them. If they had families, they left all that in the dust of the present world to pick up their cross and follow Him.

Matter of fact, I doubt seriously that God even means that a bishop "must" be married and have children. It makes much more sense in light of the actual examples of church elders in the NT that they do not have to be. God lists it IMO because most men at the age above novice (30 years old +) were typically married with kids. 30 being the age our Lord began His earthly ministry. IOW: if you are married, it is to be to only one woman and if you have kids, they must be in subjection.

Novice the key qualification in Jordan's case. Scripturally that is the only thing that DQ's him based on his personal testimony that I know of.

Think about it.

11 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I did, you're still wrong and a heretick.

I'm not seeing the name-calling here.

Saying someone is "wrong" isn't name-calling. Neither is saying someone is a heretick.

Heretic - a professed believer who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church or rejects doctrines prescribed by that church.

A person could argue as to whether or not either "wrong" or "heretick" are accurate assessments but it's hard to say either are name-calling.

Personally, I prefer a more detailed reasoning as to how and why a person is "wrong" or a "heretick" (or that one is right or traditional) than a simple declaration that they are one or the other. Simply declaring "thou art a heretick" or "thy doctrine is sound" doesn't prove a position.

We should also consider that IFB churches have various independent positions on a variety of topics so that what might be considered a heretical position in one IFB church would not be such in another. This gives rise to the question of whether we should declare someone outside our own church to be a heretick.

Well, John, I don't mean to be snotty in my response, but it doesn't actually matter if you see it as name-calling or not. Simple fact of the matter is that it is name-calling. When one's response to someone who disagrees with one's claim that something is a mandate from God - without dovetailing scripture to, as you put it "prove a position," - is to label that someone a heretic, that's, well, name-calling. And it isn't going to start up again. As I said before, it's not negotiable.