• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Holy Spirit Unable To Move Through Congregation As Fog Machine Breaks

• Moderators

I thought that title sounded like Babylon Bee!  That site is like The Onion, Jim - pure satire. 

I don't care for projected hymns... they don't generally include the notes and discourage harmony and congregational singing. 

Canned music may be a necessary evil for some congregations, but again, the music is always nicer and singing stronger when you have actual instruments! It's hard to get the pace right with a tape. I guess I'm spoiled, though... as a pianist, I'm never without the option for real music! :)

• Administrators

I'm not against the canned music at all Salyan. What I am against is the technology that doesn't work or no body knows how to operate. I don't think that continuing to "try" to use the technology glorifies God when it doesn't work.

I think it is much better to sing without it than take up valuable time fiddling with machines and computers.

• Members
8 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I'm not against the canned music at all Salyan. What I am against is the technology that doesn't work or no body knows how to operate. I don't think that continuing to "try" to use the technology glorifies God when it doesn't work.

I think it is much better to sing without it than take up valuable time fiddling with machines and computers.

Constant distractions such as that are a real problem. Would most of us bother having a piano played during a song if the only person willing to play the piano was someone who didn't really know how to play, couldn't read music and couldn't provide distinctive notes when played?

I attended a church for a time one summer where they were without a piano player and didn't want to play cassette music. We sang as a congregation without music, the pastor leading the singing, and it was actually nice to hear the hymns in that way.

• Members

At our current church where we are attending, we use a screen for song words and powerpoint. Have not had any issues at all the year and a half we have been going here. We have a pianist, organist, and sometimes a harpist. Kinda cool song services. Preaching here by the pastor of 30 years is excellent!

• Members
7 minutes ago, Genevanpreacher said:

At our current church where we are attending, we use a screen for song words and powerpoint. Have not had any issues at all the year and a half we have been going here. We have a pianist, organist, and sometimes a harpist. Kinda cool song services. Preaching here by the pastor of 30 years is excellent!

The only real "issue" we've had with having the song words on the screen is it sounds like we are singing louder since we are all looking up rather than down at the hymnals.