• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pipe Smoking

• Moderators

Here is an off-the-wall question:

What are your views on pipe smoking?  Generally cigarettes are seen as bad because the tobacco is laced with all sorts of things that hurt the body and effect the mind, and cause addiction. Clearly this is very bad for Christians.

Cigars are frowned on because, even though the tobacco is pure leaf, thus not generally a health or addiction risk, it has some negative associations-the tough guys, the bums, often generally negative stereotypes are associated.

Pipes, (and not like water pipes or bongs, clearly), don't have the negative associations, the tobacco, while flavored, doesn't have the addictive or health issues like cigarettes, and the normal association is dad or grandpa smoking the pipe while reading the paper, (or maybe Popeye).

So if there is not the negative associations, no health problems are addictions, is there a biblical reason to abstain from smoking a pipe?

• Members

"...for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." - 2 Corinthians 6:16

Smoking tobacco is a wicked sin, I'm rather surprised that you would even ask this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=plX4RM3KGT0C&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=tobacco+john+r+rice&source=bl&ots=Ek3NrsSeDL&sig=JjqMrtUvcNBxUZtOUcGFB3F-LNk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_1PXV_oPMAhWDPCYKHaK2DdQQ6AEITzAI#v=onepage&q=tobacco%20john%20r%20rice&f=false

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj_1PXV_oPMAhWDPCYKHaK2DdQQFgg7MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bereaninternetministry.org%2FPapers%2FWhat%2520About%2520Tobacco.doc&usg=AFQjCNH0bAlYREZb0zaV1B7lGLELFCrAUA&sig2=7o-RxXA4dLxFo8yH9IzcbQ&bvm=bv.119028448,d.eWE

I loved the smell of my grandpa's pipe when he lit up when I was a boy.  Shortly after my salvation, I was going to take up pipe smoking, if memory serves, it was the same weekend I was going to buy a smoking kit that my pastor preached on the sins of tobacco and smoking.  That settled it for me.  

• Members

While it's been some years ago, I once heard this sort of question fairly often. From what I recall, most point to the verse about abstaining from the appearance of evil. For most, smoking is smoking, whether pipe, cigar, or cigarette.

It also doesn't seem accurate that cancer doesn't come from pipe smoking. I've seen several cases of pipe smokers with cancer.

There are several reasons to abstain from pipe smoking but I can't think of any that would recommend it.

• Members

All tobacco (naturally) contains nicotine. (That's why many old timers chewed tobacco). The cigarette industry added other chemicals (and MORE nicotine) to make their products MORE addictive, so one could use the argument that it's more hazardous than other forms (possibly) But nicotine is addictive in whichever form it comes in, even "naturally grown" tobacco has nicotine content. And nicotine is carcinogenic (causes cancer), so a person may (possibly?) be getting LESS nicotine with pipe tobacco than with cigarette tobacco, but it is not nicotine free. As for whether one determines it is "wrong" biblically... I've read from both sides of the aisle on this... 

1 Cor. 3:16 "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" Is the verse most often used to prohibit tobacco use of any kind. Then again, we could apply that same verse to cheeseburgers (we know they clog arteries with plaque buildup and contain L-carnitine which causes hardening of the arteries as well).  We could further apply this same verse to any food product of a genetically modified variety (you will be hard pressed to find a can or bag of frozen corn, for example, which is NOT GMO... they won't tell you on the bag/can, but 99% of all commercially grown corn is genetically modified, and that is just ONE example). We could go on and on with this.. (which is why there are so many fruit-loop vegans, and sorry to any who are...)  I just don't think the Lord expects us to be able to find (now days) a "pure" food source (be it meat OR vegetables) unless we are capable of growing/raising our own, and even then, there are environmental factors which contaminate food. We are not under law, we are under grace.

The word gives us further information in regard to personal consumables... Romans 14:1-3 deals with food items: 1 "Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations." 2 "For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs." 3 "Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him." BUT the chapter doesn't JUST pertain to food. v.5 "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."   So whether one eats certain foods or not, follows Jewish feast traditions or not, (and I would think whatever personal choices, even pipe smoking, for example) is going to be left to the individual to determine if it's "right" or "wrong" (especially those things where the Bible is silent on, such as smoking, for example). The main reason not to do some of those things (even if you ARE fully persuaded in your own mind) is this: v.13 "...but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way."  So if someone else considers these things to be a sin, you shouldn't do those things in front of them.  But as for you own home and in private the word says this: v.22 "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." 23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."  

So to sum it all up... in my humble opinion and understanding... If you are fully convinced it is not a sin, and if you are "happy" to condemn not yourself in that thing you allow, then it is permissible (in private/not in front of others who MAY consider it a sin). BUT (and here's the BIG caveat) "WHATEVER IS NOT OF FAITH IS SIN".  So if you doubt whether it's a sin or not... that is condemnation of that particular thing, since the Holy Spirit would be leading you away from it with doubt about it's (supposed) sinlessness.   I have only a couple personal examples I can think of off the top of my head in my own life.  I used to watch television often, the Holy Spirit was drawing me away from it, I would hear cuss words (especially God's name taken in vain) and see half naked people on even the commercials. Besides all that there was always a continuous liberal (in an ungodly way) slant to most television shows.  Now years ago, these things didn't bother me much (and most professing Christians don't seem to have any problem watching TV), but once the Holy Spirit kept nudging me away from it, with the knowledge that it IS sinful and it IS wrong,I was then being convicted by the Lord to stop watching these things... I gave it up then. Would I dare to tell you (or anyone else) it is a sin to watch TV? Even if I do think it's a sin? No... because it's possible that the Holy Spirit is working in another area of your (or their) lives right now that may take priority (to God) to be leading to/away from. I don't think He works in all areas of our lives all at once (I've never met or known someone who accepted Christ and immediately was capable of stopping all sins right then). I think He shows us one by one the evilness and sinfulness of certain things only when we are ready to submit fully to the Holy Spirit's guidance.  Hope that made sense... another one of those things I feel I understand, but can't completely describe in words. 

• Moderators

Good responses. By the way I should have added the caveat that I am not seeking to endorse smoking of any kind, or to try to give myself reason, but we all know questions come up and its always safe to have lots of counsel. I smoked pipe and cigars many years past, so I know well the effects-thankfully I was apparently not of an addictive nature because once I chose to stop it was not an issue-maybe that's why I kind of figured they weren't particularly addictive. I chose to give them up because I just believed it was opposite of what I wished to show in my life when I began to look at going into ministry. I knew it wouldn't fit.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

Good responses. By the way I should have added the caveat that I am not seeking to endorse smoking of any kind, or to try to give myself reason, but we all know questions come up and its always safe to have lots of counsel. I smoked pipe and cigars many years past, so I know well the effects-thankfully I was apparently not of an addictive nature because once I chose to stop it was not an issue-maybe that's why I kind of figured they weren't particularly addictive. I chose to give them up because I just believed it was opposite of what I wished to show in my life when I began to look at going into ministry. I knew it wouldn't fit.

I chuckled because I find it quite amusing that when you ask a question like this many make the assumption it is an attempted endorsement.

• Members

Years ago I was working in a sawmill. I rode to work with three other men. I had been  in the military and left the convictions I was taught growing up, that alcohol was not to be used by Christians. After work the men I rode with would stop for a beer and I joined them. I was attending and IFCA (Independent Fundamental Churches  or America) church with my wife and kids at the time. One day one of the men said "  I didn't think Christians did things like this."  I immediately stopped and told him why. I know many Christians struggle with the use of God's view of drinking alcohol and  the word "wine" means pertaining to the grape . But it does not indicate fermented or not in any passages. I chose to stop simply   because I asked the myself the question " is my drinking bringing glory to God?' The answer was a resounding NO. I believe that all our words and deeds should bring glory to God.( hasten to say I do not always but strive to) . So there is the question. Does it bring glory to God or is it just your personal preference cause you like it?

• Members

"I chuckled because I find it quite amusing that when you ask a question like this many make the assumption it is an attempted endorsement."

What you say is true. The sad part is many Christians base their behavior, thoughts and even doctrinal beliefs on the popular view of others rather than pleasing God and having a clear conscience before Him.

Edited by 2ndTimothy

• Members

My view is...

I don't see pipe smoking as a sin, especially if you want to compare it to all the junk we eat, for enjoyment, that also 'defiles the temple'. In that light, all of us are living in sin, continually.

As for the cancer question?

EVERYTHING causes cancer!

We have one woman in our congregation with 6 mos. to live right now, because of asbestos. Of which she has NO idea where she was around it at all!

My previous pastor's wife years ago died of cancer. A woman who ate right, took herbal remedies for sickness, and NEVER smoked.

You neber know where or how you get some cancers.

So does that mean those people died 'in sin'?

It's not an easy decision to make clear.

I smoked pipe for years and never smoked it around anyone but my immediate family, and not in the public realm.

I haven't smoked in about a year and a half.

I don't feel I defiled my temple.

• Members
2 hours ago, 2ndTimothy said:

I know many Christians struggle with the use of God's view of drinking alcohol and  the word "wine" means pertaining to the grape . But it does not indicate fermented or not in any passages.

Huh?