• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is that a cow in her house?

• Members

Actually it was probably correct.  Were taught at school that in the past, animals were kept a stable attached to the house.  I many French villages you can still see the grange, the barn, attached to the house.  Often used as a garage today if it is a small one.  One German couple we knew who were lecturers at Freiburg University bought a house with a large grange attached had it converted to add several bedrooms and bathrooms, a lecture room and a garage.  It would originally have been used to house the cows.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Invicta, I've only saw two like you are talking about, both was in disrepair. They had been built out of black flint stones, and the walls was falling down, there was no roof or beams left.

I would very much like to tour the farms in the old Countries. My sister toured the farms in Switzerland and Germany, her stories left me wanting to see them for myself.  

• Members

Invicta, I've only saw two like you are talking about, both was in disrepair. They had been built out of black flint stones, and the walls was falling down, there was no roof or beams left.

I would very much like to tour the farms in the old Countries. My sister toured the farms in Switzerland and Germany, her stories left me wanting to see them for myself.  

I have looked at a number of old farmhouses in France.  One man from Réunion who we knew, asked us to look at a house with him.  It had a grange attached, and about 25 or more cows inside.    One we looked at for ourselves , was being sold by ywo sisters and a brother and had been their parents house where thay had bee brought up. It had a grange on each side and a three rooms downstairs and one bedroom upstairs and another bare room they called the granary.  There was a large sack hanging from the rafters and we asked what was in it and the brother said he thought it was mouton.  He prodded it and said, yes it was lambs wool. The three had shared the one bedroom with their parents.  That was better than my grandparents had, in the 1911 census, my grandparents were living in one room with my great grandmother, my 3 year old aunt and my 2 year old mother.  That was in South East London.