• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

easter

• Members

I SERVE a risen Saviour,
He’s in the world today;
I know that He is living,
whatever men may say.
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer,
and just the time I need Him
He’s always near.

He lives, He lives,
Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me
along life’s narrow way.
He lives, He lives,
salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart.

2 In all the world around me
I see His loving care,
and though my heart grows weary
I never will despair;
I know that He is leading,
through all the stormy blast;
the day of His appearing
will come at last.

3 Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian,
lift up your voice and sing
eternal hallelujahs
to Jesus Christ the King!
The hope of all who seek Him,
the help of all who find,
none other is so loving,
so good and kind.

Alfred Henry Ackley, 1887-1960
© 1933 Renewed 1961 The Rodeheaver Co./CopyCare

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Rosie, I'm sorry your service was rained out. Ours was planned for indoors, so we were fine. The service was great - good, Bible preaching. It was a blessing, even though I was very tired.

Invicta, I don't know of any Catholic churches that hold sunrise services. The sunrise services actually were started by Moravian missionaries, and that is how the idea spread. Sunrise services are common in the US south. Some in the north do it, but it isn't as prevalent.

And, actually, Mark tells us that the women came to the grave "at the rising of the sun..." Mark 16:2    And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Really, what does it matter what time one church begins its Resurrection Day service(s)? 

We sang He Lives twice today - verse 2 in Sunday School, and then verses 1 and 3 in the main morning service. Love that song. 

• Members

We sang  I Serve a risen Saviour as our last hymn at our evening service yesterday.  We only had about 20 adults and a number of children but it sounded like several hundred.  I had a rough throat so couldn't sing top well and 2 other men only sing quietly because they can't keep a tune.

Resurrection Sunday?

How could today have been resurrection Sunday, when Jesus rose two days after Passover and Passover is not until next month?

The holiday of Pesach, or Passover, falls on the Hebrew calendar dates ofNissan 15-22. Here are coinciding secular dates for the upcoming years:

2016:   April 22-30

2017:   April 10-18

Note: The Jewish calendar date begins at sundown of the night beforehand. Thus all holiday observances begin at sundown on the secular dates listed, with the following day being the first full day of the holiday. (Thus, the first Passover seder is held on the evening of the first date listed.) Jewish calendar dates conclude at nightfall.

The first two days of Passover (from sundown of the first date listed, until nightfall two days later) are full-fledged, no-work-allowed holiday days. The subsequent four days are Chol Hamoed, when work is allowed, albeit with restrictions. Chol Hamoed is followed by another two full holiday days.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/671901/jewish/When-is-Passover-in-2016-and-2017.htm

Edited by Invicta

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't see any scripture about Christians holding 'Easter' or 'Resurrection' or 'Sunrise' or any other symbolic 'holy' days. It's a little like making an image of a man and calling it Christ, and then gazing at it as if it were endowed with some sort of holy power. The shadows have gone, we aren't called to paint them back, I am looking forward to the real sunrise. The Old Testament saints had types to point them forward, we have bread and wine, to remind us and point us forward, be it on a sunday or any other day of the week, as often as we meet together.

Malachi 4:2  But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

2 Peter 1:19  We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: