• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Brother Cloud & RSS Feed

• Members

I have noticed that the RSS feed has been working as it should for a few months.  (Indeed, I especially noticed because my own "Shepherding the Flock" blog postings are now showing up in the RSS feed.)  However, I have NOT noticed Brother Cloud's RSS feed over the past few weeks.  I was wondering if I myself am simply blind, and cannot see afar off, and have just missed them day after day after day?  Or, if there is some other reason why Brother Cloud's RSS feed is actually not present?

• Members

I have been receiving Bro Cloud's emails for years.  I had not noticed them recently.  Your post Bro Scott made me look to see why,  I receive his emails to an old email account which I have only one or two others that still use it.  When my laptop packed up and I bought a new one, I hadn't added that email account.  I went on my webmail and I am still getting them.  I will have to read them.

• Members
3 minutes ago, John81 said:

I get them in my email so I didn't really notice whether they were posting here now or not.

I get them in my email as well, which is the reason that I did notice.  Lately, I have not seen the matching RSS feed here on the forum.

• Members
Just now, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I get them in my email as well, which is the reason that I did notice.  Lately, I have not seen the matching RSS feed here on the forum.

I had wondered why there had been no comments on any of his postings but then I would get busy with other things and never get around to actually checking the RSS feed section. Most often I only go by what shows up in the unread content.

Good catch on your part!

• Members

Sometimes I comment on them. Not all the time. Depends on the subject.

We subscribe to the hard copy of O'Timothy as we like to sit down and leave the paper for others to read as well.

O Timothy is one of the best national Christian newspapers/magazines. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I have noticed that the RSS feed has been working as it should for a few months.  (Indeed, I especially noticed because my own "Shepherding the Flock" blog postings are now showing up in the RSS feed.)  However, I have NOT noticed Brother Cloud's RSS feed over the past few weeks.  I was wondering if I myself am simply blind, and cannot see afar off, and have just missed them day after day after day?  Or, if there is some other reason why Brother Cloud's RSS feed is actually not present?

Is there some form of answer forthcoming?  Or . . .?

• Moderators

I think Bro. Matt's been pretty busy lately; he doesn't seem to have had much time to spend on OB lately. Unfortunately he's probably the only one that can check on the RSS feeds.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Salyan said:

I think Bro. Matt's been pretty busy lately; he doesn't seem to have had much time to spend on OB lately. Unfortunately he's probably the only one that can check on the RSS feeds.

I thank you for responding, and thus for acknowledging the existence of my question.

I understood that Brother Matt was quite busy at present, and thus has not had much time toward the forum lately.

Primarily, I was wondering why other RSS feeds seem to be "feeding" (including my own blog), while Brother Cloud's has not.  Indeed, I was wondering if there had been some decision to discontinue Brother Cloud's "feed."

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, I was wondering if there had been some decision to discontinue Brother Cloud's "feed."

Not that I've heard of in moderator discussion, at least.

Personally, I wouldn't be against discontinuing it. Bro. Cloud is spot on in a lot of areas, but his teachings about repentance are problematic and his attitude is getting more and more arrogant. I really feel that I can't direct people to his resources anymore lest they be turned off the topic by his attitude.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Salyan said:

Not that I've heard of in moderator discussion, at least.

Personally, I wouldn't be against discontinuing it. Bro. Cloud is spot on in a lot of areas, but his teachings about repentance are problematic and his attitude is getting more and more arrogant. I really feel that I can't direct people to his resources anymore lest they be turned off the topic by his attitude.

What is problematic about the repentance teachings in your opinion?

• Moderators

I didn't say teaching repentance in general is wrong - cause you're right! It's part of salvation! - just that David Cloud's teaching on it is problematic.

Um... let's see if I can explain this clearly. The reason I used that particular wording is that there's nothing cut and dried to point to - his teachings aren't wrong, per se, just problematic, and the problems I see have arisen primarily out of experience and observation.

You see, a number of years ago, I was reading through his article against lordship salvation (which itself is a twisted view of repentance). In that article, he was teaching against lordship salvation - yet somehow the way he presented repentance came across to me in a very confusing manner. Because of that article, I began questioning my own salvation. I was very young when I was saved - I'm not actually sure when exactly I did get saved. (Before you ask, yes, I have made sure of salvation as an adult and yes, I know I am saved. I still believe that I did get saved when I was quite young, but God has not seen fit to let me know exactly when that was yet!) The crux of the questioning centered around repentance - did I repent enough? did I repent properly?  All that confusion came out of that article - which, confusingly enough, was supposed to be teaching against the very kind of twisted ideas on repentance that it produced. Because repentance is not us ceasing to sin. It is not even promising not to sin. It is simply the change of mind/attitude/worldview that must occur when a sinner realizes that his sin is not okay, that it is separating him from God and deserving of hell, and that he needs and desires Christ's salvation, and turns to Christ for that salvation. Yes, it has the sense of turning from sin, but it is not the actual cessation of sin - for how can a sinner cease to sin? It is not committing to stop sinning in the future (although we know that as a believer, the Holy Spirit will help us to sin less as we walk by faith), for that is the heresy commonly termed 'lordship salvation', and is really a works salvation ("If I do this, stop doing this, I will be saved")

The last few years we had a schism develop in our church over the definition of repentance. Our pastor taught repentance as described above (only probably more clearly than I've described it), but a group developed that added... something... to it. (I actually avoided discussing it in detail with them, as it was during that time that I realized I needed to know what I believed in this area regardless of other's teachings. So I avoided talking to any people about it until I could thoroughly study it out in the Scriptures for myself.)  It was like salvation couldn't be simple for them. Repentance needed to be the putting away of all known sin - a great beast of a hurdle that must be crossed before someone could simply trust Christ for salvation. This group caused much division before finally leaving the church. And they were all the staunchest David Cloud supporters in the congregation; they used his materials religiously. After my own experience with the confusion about repentance that his articles caused in my life, I can't help thinking that the connection between David Cloud's writings and the twisted ideas of repentance that group developed cannot be a coincidence.

So there you have it. I cannot unilaterally say that Cloud's writings on repentance are wrong, because I don't know of any spot that I can put my finger on and identify categorically false doctrine. But they are problematic, because something about them has caused confusion and division in my own life and my church.

:twocents:

• Members

We discussed this several years ago Salyan, many folks here participated in the discussion then.

I do believe you're quite incorrect on both Brother Cloud's attitude and Lordship Salvation and Repentance for salvation.  We can all get prideful from time to time and Cloud is not immune from that sin either.