• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

Brother David,

I am compelled to admit that Mark 16:1 moved me to pause for consideration.  Having spent some time considering that information which we find in Luke 23:55 & Mark 16:1, I would propose an alternate scenario.

1.  At the end of the day on which our Lord was crucified (which I contend was Thursday), the women went home and prepared the spices and ointments which they had on hand.

2.  After the end of the weekly Sabbath (after 6 pm Saturday), the women purchased more spices from the late evening market place, which was now possible because the first day of the week had technically began at 6 pm Saturday.  (Apparently what they had had on hand to prepare was not viewed as a sufficient honor for their Lord's body.)

3.  Early in the morning at the dawning of the day-time (approximately 6 am Sunday morning), the women traveled to the tomb in order to anoint Jesus' body.

Now in turn, I would ask that you pause to consider the eleven verses wherein God's Word informs us that the very day of our Lord's resurrection was "the third day" itself.  These verses are as follows:  Matthew 16:21; 20:18-19; Mark 9:31; 10:33-34; Luke 9:22; 18:31-33; 24:6-7; 24:20-21; 24:46; Acts 10:401 Corinthians 15:3.

Indeed.  Matthew 28:1 -- "In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher."

"In the end of the sabbath,"  Our Saturday evening . "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," Cannot mean Sunday morning because the end of the Sabbath was Saturday evening, the dawn towards the first day of the week again must mean Saturday evening, as "towards the first day of the week" must mean twilight Saturday evening towards the Sabbath.

• Members

Invicta,

According to the Scriptures and the Jewish calendar, a day begins at sundown. 

Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Genesis 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Genesis 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

According to the Jewish calendar, the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday evening and ends at sundown Saturday evening

"in the end of the sabbath" is sundown on the 7th day (Saturday) and the beginning of the first day (which is our Sunday) of the week.  The "end of the sabbath" also means the end of the seventh day (Saturday) according to the Jewish calendar, which is what was used in Israel in Bible times.

• Members

"In the end of the sabbath,"  Our Saturday evening . "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," Cannot mean Sunday morning because the end of the Sabbath was Saturday evening, the dawn towards the first day of the week again must mean Saturday evening, as "towards the first day of the week" must mean twilight Saturday evening towards the Sabbath.

As it began to dawn.  Could not have been Saturday night.  Dawn happens in the early morning hours, not late night hours.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Actually, the position that the phrase in Matthew 28:1, "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," means early Sunday morning (at approximately 6 am) is supported by the parallel passages in the other gospels.  In Matthew 28:1 this time element is employed in order to inform us concerning the time wherein the women went to the tomb.  In parallel with Matthew 28:1, concerning the coming of the women to the tomb, we find the following:

Mark 16:2 -- "And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun."

Luke 24:1 -- "Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them."

• Members

Actually, the position that the phrase in Matthew 28:1, "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week," means early Sunday morning (at approximately 6 am) is supported by the parallel passages in the other gospels.  In Matthew 28:1 this time element is employed in order to inform us concerning the time wherein the women went to the tomb.  In parallel with Matthew 28:1, concerning the coming of the women to the tomb, we find the following:

Mark 16:2 -- "And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun."

Luke 24:1 -- "Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them."

You probably could also add John 20:1

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

You probably could also add John 20:1

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Indeed, I could have included this verse.  However, the phrase, "when it was yet dark," is veeeeery imprecise statement concerning the timing of that coming.  Whereas the phrases, "very early in the morning" and "at the rising of the sun," are much more precise statements concerning that timing.  Apparently the women went to the tomb quite early in the morning, when the sun had just begun to rise and the darkness was still more predominant, such that there was just the smallest amount of light from the sunrise upon the horizon (indeed, at approximately 6 am in the morning).

• Members

You could, but hen the women came, he was already risen.

The first day began on Sabbath evening, not at dawn, so as the first day was dawning must mean as the Sabbath ended.

The first day of the week begins at sundown Saturday evening (around 6PM)...at the END OF THE SABBATH.  The Sabbath is over at sundown, not at dawn. 
The Sabbath begins at sundown Friday evening and ends at sundown Saturday evening. 

Jesus rose from the grave on the first day of the week.  The Sabbath was over and done with -- all gone, bye-bye.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Sister Robey,

I fully recognize that "holy convocation" does not mean a day of rest (Sabbath).  However, I would contend that a day wherein the children of Israel were to do "no servile work" would be a day of rest (Sabbath).

Now, the fifteenth day of the first month, which was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was just one of those days wherein they were to do "no servile work."  So then, I am asking how it could be a day of "preparation" work if it was to be a day of "no servile work"?

Herein is where we would find our disagreement.  I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday, the 14th day of the first month, the Day of Passover.  Then I would contend that Friday, the 15th day of the first month, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was a high day (holy day) of rest (sabbath), wherein they were to do "no servile work."  Furthermore, I would contend that Saturday was the weekly Sabbath, which would create two consecutive days of rest (Sabbaths).  Finally, I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on Sunday, "the third day" itself from His crucifixion. 

I myself would contend that we can be much more precise about the timing of our Lord's resurrection on Sunday, as per Mark 16:9, which reveals that He was resurrected "early the first day of the week," wherein the word "early" means "early in the morning, at the dawning of the day-time" (approximately 6 am Sunday morning).

Brother Scott

"He was," meaning he already was when they came to the tomb, not that he rose at that time.

John 19:31 ¶  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)

Either the Sabbath was the normal Sabbath which means that the crucifixon was on Friday, or there was an extra Sabbath which I believe was the Thursday.  AS the body was places in the tomb as the Sabbath was beginning and was there Thre Days and Three Nights, it must mean that the body was put in the tomb Wednesday at dusk and raised 72 hours, three days and three nights, later, in the end of the Sabbath.

• Members

You could, but hen the women came, he was already risen.

The first day began on Sabbath evening, not at dawn, so as the first day was dawning must mean as the Sabbath ended.

Yes, when the women came to the tomb, our Lord Jesus Christ was already risen.  Yet Matthew 28:1 is NOT at all speaking concerning the timing for our Lord's resurrection.  Rather, it is speaking concerning the timing for the women's coming unto the tomb.  The only verse that actually specifies the timing for our Lord's resurrection on that Sunday is Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils."  And as I have presented in a previous posting -- Herein the adverb “early” (being translated from the Greek adverb “proi”) very specifically means early in the morning at the dawning of the daytime.  (Note: This Greek adverb may also be found in Matthew 16:3; 20:1; Mark 1:35; 11:20; 13:35; 15:1; 16:2; John 20:1; Acts 28:23.  A feminine form of this Greek adverb may be found in Matthew 21:18; 27:1; John 18:28; 21:4.  An adjective form of this Greek word may be found in James 5:7; Revelation 2:28.)  

• Members

The first day of the week begins at sundown Saturday evening (around 6PM)...at the END OF THE SABBATH.  The Sabbath is over at sundown, not at dawn. 
The Sabbath begins at sundown Friday evening and ends at sundown Saturday evening. 

Jesus rose from the grave on the first day of the week.  The Sabbath was over and done with -- all gone, bye-bye.

Sorry sister, nowhere doest it say he rose on the first day,  All those references say "He was risen" already.

• Members

Sorry sister, nowhere doest it say he rose on the first day,  All those references say "He was risen" already.

Actually, there is only ONE reference, that being Mark 16:9; and what it actually says is, "now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week."  According to the precise grammar of this statement, when was Jesus risen?  He was risen precisely at the time of "early the first day of the week."  The statement does NOT say, "He was already risen before early the first day of the week."

• Members

Yes, when the women came to the tomb, our Lord Jesus Christ was already risen.  Yet Matthew 28:1 is NOT at all speaking concerning the timing for our Lord's resurrection.  Rather, it is speaking concerning the timing for the women's coming unto the tomb.  The only verse that actually specifies the timing for our Lord's resurrection on that Sunday is Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils."  And as I have presented in a previous posting -- Herein the adverb “early” (being translated from the Greek adverb “proi”) very specifically means early in the morning at the dawning of the daytime.  (Note: This Greek adverb may also be found in Matthew 16:3; 20:1; Mark 1:35; 11:20; 13:35; 15:1; 16:2; John 20:1; Acts 28:23.  A feminine form of this Greek adverb may be found in Matthew 21:18; 27:1; John 18:28; 21:4.  An adjective form of this Greek word may be found in James 5:7; Revelation 2:28.)  

Well brother Scott, I think we will have to agree to disagree.

The main thing it that Jesus rose, "Up from the grave he arose, a mighty triumph o'er his foes." and "We serve a "Risen Saviour."  I thinkk most also agree it was not on Friday.

• Members

Exactly.  It clearly states Jesus rose early.

It does not say, "After Jesus had risen, He appeared early."

if it did, David might have a fair argument.