• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

I disagree with a Thursday crucifixion, but I do not call a Friday crucifixion "Good Friday" (which is a man made name that comes straight from the Roman Catholic Church).  I received this email last year (April 4, 2015) from Jewish Awareness Ministries...the title is PASSOVER, CRUCIFIXION, AND THE RESURRECTION:

April 4, 2015

Dear Beloved in Messiah,

As believers in Messiah Jesus the important truth is that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the grave. I realize that some Christians "argue" over the day of the Passover celebration of Jesus and the day He was crucified. I have no interest in arguing which day it was. I offer the following for your consideration.

Last night was the first night of Passover. Tonight is the second night of Passover and many Jewish people will again gather around a Seder table to celebrate.

The custom of two nights of Passover celebration is ancient. It predates the time of Jesus.

In John 18:28, “Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went, not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.”

Jesus had finished his Passover meal before appearing before Caiaphas and there is yet another Passover to come according to this verse.

With the number of lambs slaughtered (about 210,000) there were 2 nights of Passover (and to this very day there are 2 nights of Passover in the Jewish community).

On Thursday between noon and 3 pm, the lamb which Jesus and His disciples sacrificed was slain at the Temple and they ate it on Thursday night at their Passover
(the Galilean Jews had their Passover the first night, and the Judean Jews the 2nd night). The Judean Jews would slay their lambs on Friday between noon and 3 pm (during the time Jesus was on the cross) and ate the lamb at their Passover (Caiaphas and the priests would be in this group) on Friday night (thus, John 18:28).

How does three days and three nights in the grave work in reference to Jesus being in the grave?

The term, three days and three nights, does not require three literal days and three literal nights or 72 literal hours. For example in Exodus 19:10-11 three days include part of the first day and part of the third day – these were not all 24 hour days, only the second day would have been 24 hours. Luke 13:32 is the same way – the first and third day were obviously not 24 hour days.

Thus, a Friday crucifixion at 3 PM with a Sunday resurrection at 6 AM would have been considered three days and three nights by the Jewish people of the day.

Again, the important truth is Jesus died and rose again for our sins.

Hallelujah, He is risen!

Have a blessed Resurrection day!

In Messiah,
Mark Robinson

• Members

Pastor Markle, I agree with the majority of your synopsis, except for the "two Sabbath's" theory.  Linda is a Jew, and she says that the Jews never have two Sabbath's in a week.  

Sabbath means Rest, and Seventh or Seven.  The Sabbath was literally the last day of the week.

There was a high holy day that week because of the Passover.

Yes absolutely.  I came across a Jewish site the other day, can't remember which, that said these days there are two rest days at the beginning of Passover where no work is allowed and some days when some work is allowed. followed by two days when no work is allowed.  That make four rest Sabbaths.

This is how I see it...

image.jpeg

It doesn't matter how big you write it, it doesn't make it correct.  A partial morning and partial evening is not a day and a night.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

John 11: 9 Are there not twelve hours in the day? Therefore the must be twelve hours in the night.

There are three seemingly contrasting time periods.  

1.  Three days and three nights, exactly 72 hours.

2.  In three days, not more than 72 hours.

3.  After three days, not less than 72 hours.

Brother David,

Could you provide the particular passage(s) of Scripture which informs us that the women bought and prepared the spices on Friday?

Could you provide the particular passages(s) of Scripture which inform us that the women came to the tomb on Saturday evening (at approximately 6 pm)?

Brother Scott.  I did address those points on the earlier thread.

Mark 16: 1 ¶  And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.  They bought spices after the Sabbath

Luke 23: 55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. After the Sabbath they bought spices and prepared them and rested on the Sabbath.

Brother Cott regarding your latter point.

Matt 28:1 ¶  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.  Matt 28:1 ¶  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. 

• Moderators

Jesus' entry to Jerusalem was on the seventh day. He was observed from that day, the 10th of Nisan, through the 13th, and on the 14th, the Passover, was declared to be 'without fault' and killed. (See Ex 12). He died about the 9th hour (3pm) and was buried before the end of the day. Thursday was a Sabbath, the first day of unleavened bread, associated with the feast, an holy convocation. Friday the women purchased the spices  and made preparations to anoint Jesus' body. They rested the weekly Sabbath. EARLY the next day, they went to the tomb, before dawn, and found the empty tomb. Jesus had plenty of time to be three days and three nights, to the minute, by the time the women came to the tomb.

• Members

Pastor Markle, I agree with the majority of your synopsis, except for the "two Sabbath's" theory.  Linda is a Jew, and she says that the Jews never have two Sabbath's in a week.  

(emboldening added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Brother Robey,

I certainly recognize and appreciate Sister Robey's heritage as a believing Jew, and I do not desire to disregard or disrespect her knowledge of her own Jewish heritage as being far greater than I myself will ever learn.  However, I am finding it mathematically impossible to reconcile (1) her declaration above and (2) the Biblical teaching of Leviticus 23 concerning the holy day Sabbaths that the Lord God instituted for the children of Israel.

Yes, Leviticus 23:3 speaks concerning the weekly Sabbath, which would be the seventh day of every week in the year.

Yet Leviticus 23 also speaks concerning a series of holy day Sabbaths, wherein the children of Israel were to do "no servile work," as follows:

1.  The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which would be "the fifteenth day of the first month," the day immediately following the Day of Passover.

Leviticus 23:5-7 -- "In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD’S passover.  And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.  In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein." 

2.  The last day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which would be the seventh day from the first day, the twenty-first day of the first month.

Leviticus 23:8 -- "But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein."

3.  The Day of Pentecost, which was always on a Sunday, being fifty days from the first sheaf offering, which also occurred on a Sunday.

Leviticus 23:15-16 -- "And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete: even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD."

Leviticus 23:21 -- "And ye shall proclaim on the selfsame day, that it may be an holy convocation unto you: ye shall do no servile work therein: it shall be a statute for ever in all your dwellings throughout your generations."

4.  The Feast of Trumpets, which would be the first day of the seventh month.

Leviticus 23:24-25 -- "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.  Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD."

5.  The Day of Atonement, which would the tenth day of the seventh month.

Leviticus 23:27-32 -- "Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.  And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.   For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.  And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.  Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.  It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath."

6.  The first day of the Feast of Tabernacles, which would be the fifteenth day of the seventh month.

Leviticus 23:34-35 -- "Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.  On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein."

7.  The eighth day from the first day of the Feast of Tabernacles, which would be the twenty-second day of the seventh month.

Leviticus 23:36 -- "Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein."

Now, it would seem to me that it would be mathematically impossible to claim that there was never two Sabbath days in a week, unless every single one of these holy day Sabbaths fell on the weekly Sabbath (the seventh day Sabbath).  Yet it would seem to me that such would be mathematically impossible.  Allow me to illustrate by considering the Feast of Tabernacles and the Day of Atonement, which are both specifically called a "Sabbath" in the Scriptures above.  The Feast of Trumpets was to be on the first day of the seventh month; and the Day of Atonement was to be on the tenth day of the same month, which would be nine days after the Feast of Trumpets.  Now then, if indeed the Feast of Trumpets fell on the weekly (seventh day) Sabbath, it would be mathematically impossible that nine days later the Day of Atonement could also fall on a weekly (seventh day) Sabbath.

There was a high holy day that week because of the Passover.

Indeed.  Even as Leviticus 23:5-7 reveals, saying, "In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD’S passover.  And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.  In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein."

Dear Beloved in Messiah,

As believers in Messiah Jesus the important truth is that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the grave. I realize that some Christians "argue" over the day of the Passover celebration of Jesus and the day He was crucified. I have no interest in arguing which day it was. I offer the following for your consideration.

Sister Robey,

I would certainly agree with the author of the article that you posted -- The fact that our Lord Jesus the Christ (Messiah) "died for our sins and rose from the grave" is of far greater importance than the debate over which particular day He was crucified.  If an individual denied that our Lord Jesus the Christ (Messiah) died upon the cross for sins or that He rose again out from the dead, I would separate from that individual.  On the other hand, if an individual differs with me over which day He was crucified, I would not necessarily separate from that individual.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members

The Resurrection and Passover

The Scriptures are clear that the Last Supper was in fact the last earthly Passover that Jesus celebrated. At its core the celebration is conducted in an orderly manner, called a Seder, using ritual food items as symbols that tell of the deliverance of Israel from Egypt. In the 2nd Temple days, Passover, which is celebrated on the 14th of Nisan, had become an eight day celebration that included the Feast of Unleavened Bread (beginning the 15th) and the Feast of Firstfruits (16th)1. In that day (as today) the Seder was filled with messianic references and it was hoped that the Messiah would appear at that time. These references amplify the prophetic portion of each of these feasts concerning what is called in Judaism the greater redemption – the spiritual redemption. Looking beyond the physical historic deliverance of Israel, the feasts were a reminder that reinforced hope in the glorious expectation of the restoration of the people of Israel to their God.  The Passover began to represent spiritual righteousness and the coming of the kingdom; Unleavened Bread, an emblem of sanctification or being set apart by and for the Lord, represented the new beginning; while Firstfruits, as the guarantee of a harvest to follow, prefigures the resurrection of the righteous. All of which find reality in Messiah Jesus who offered His body as the final sacrifice for sin. His resurrection proved the acceptance of that sacrifice and through it the New Covenant could be established. He is the one who has gone before us to open the way for the greater redemption to begin; and for those who believe in His substitutionary sacrifice, His death, burial and resurrection2, He has become our Passover, our Sanctification and He is the Firstfruits3.

The crucifixion of Jesus took place on the first day of the Passover week, the 15th of Nisan, which is also the first day of Unleavened Bread. Like the matzah He broke the night before, His body was broken so that we might be made whole! Later that day, at about the time that Jesus died, the first fruit of the barley, the first of the Firstfruits offering, was cut off. At about the time that He was laid in the tomb the firstfruits of the barley were gathered into the Temple. The next day an omer4 of fine flour made from the barley was offered before the Lord, which opened the way for other firstfruits to be accepted by God and marked His guarantee of a harvest to follow. Jesus remaining among the dead for three days is proof that He was truly dead. During that time He declared freedom to those who had died in faith and, in effect, He led captivity captive when, on the third day of Passover, He rose from the dead.

The early church, following the instructions of the Lord5, used the afikoman and third cup from the Passover Seder to commemorate the death, burial and resurrection of Messiah Jesus, His institution of the New Covenant, and His promised return. This was done as often as a church chose. However, once a year a special celebration of these events was held on the day of Passover regardless of which day of the week that happened to be in any particular year. This was the tradition handed down by the Apostle John and attested to by Phillip the Evangelist and several of his daughters6. It may have also been the teaching of Paul since he alludes to the Corinthians keeping the feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover)7. It was certainly the tradition followed by the majority of churches in the east including those in the area of the Levant, Turkey and Greece.

This is an excerpt from 
PASSOVER, EASTER, AND THE EARLY CHURCH by Moshe Gold

• Members

It may be a thing of semantics.  We see the re being one true Sabbath in the week.  The others as days of rest from toil.

Not to say the KJV is wrong in using the word Sabbaths, but that the intentention is rest and not end of week.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

The crucifixion of Jesus took place on the first day of the Passover week, the 15th of Nisan, which is also the first day of Unleavened Bread.

Sister Robey,

Is it true that the 15th day of the first month, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was a day of "holy convocation" wherein the Jews were to do "no servile work therein," as per Leviticus 23:6-7?

If this is true, then I would ask if it is also possible that this same day, a day of "holy convocation" wherein they were to do "no servile work therein," could also be a day of "preparation," as per Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:20?

It may be a thing of semantics.  We see the re being one true Sabbath in the week.  The others as days of rest from toil.

Not to say the KJV is wrong in using the word Sabbaths, but that the intentention is rest and not end of week.

So then, Brother Robey, if I am following correctly here --

You would acknowledge that the days which I am calling "holy day Sabbaths" are indeed required "rest (?sabbath?) days," but you would contend that the day which I am calling the "weekly Sabbath" is truly THE one Sabbath of the week.

Am I understanding correctly?

(Sorry.  It was not my intention, but the posts merged.  Apparently I did not wait long enough before posting the second post.)

• Members

Mark 16: 1 ¶  And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.  They bought spices after the Sabbath

Luke 23: 55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. After the Sabbath they bought spices and prepared them and rested on the Sabbath.

Brother David,

I am compelled to admit that Mark 16:1 moved me to pause for consideration.  Having spent some time considering that information which we find in Luke 23:55 & Mark 16:1, I would propose an alternate scenario.

1.  At the end of the day on which our Lord was crucified (which I contend was Thursday), the women went home and prepared the spices and ointments which they had on hand.

2.  After the end of the weekly Sabbath (after 6 pm Saturday), the women purchased more spices from the late evening market place, which was now possible because the first day of the week had technically began at 6 pm Saturday.  (Apparently what they had had on hand to prepare was not viewed as a sufficient honor for their Lord's body.)

3.  Early in the morning at the dawning of the day-time (approximately 6 am Sunday morning), the women traveled to the tomb in order to anoint Jesus' body.

Now in turn, I would ask that you pause to consider the eleven verses wherein God's Word informs us that the very day of our Lord's resurrection was "the third day" itself.  These verses are as follows:  Matthew 16:21; 20:18-19; Mark 9:31; 10:33-34; Luke 9:22; 18:31-33; 24:6-7; 24:20-21; 24:46; Acts 10:40; 1 Corinthians 15:3.

Brother Cott regarding your latter point.

Matt 28:1 ¶  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher.

Indeed.  Matthew 28:1 -- "In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher."

• Members

Sister Robey,

Is it true that the 15th day of the first month, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was a day of "holy convocation" wherein the Jews were to do "no servile work therein," as per Leviticus 23:6-7?

If this is true, then I would ask if it is also possible that this same day, a day of "holy convocation" wherein they were to do "no servile work therein," could also be a day of "preparation," as per Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:20?

You would acknowledge that the days which I am calling "holy day Sabbaths" are indeed required "rest (?sabbath?) days," but you would contend that the day which I am calling the "weekly Sabbath" is truly THE one Sabbath of the week.

(Sorry.  It was not my intention, but the posts merged.  Apparently I did not wait long enough before posting the second post.)

Brother Markle,

The term "holy connvocation" doesn't mean Sabbath.  A "holy connvocation" is more like a time of worship.

Leviticus 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
Leviticus 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

holy  ( קֹדֶשׁ qodesh ko'-desh )  from 6942; a sacred place or thing; rarely abstract, sanctity:—consecrated (thing), dedicated (thing), hallowed (thing), holiness, (X most) holy (X day, portion, thing), saint, sanctuary.

connvocation ( מִקְרָא miqra' mik-raw' ) from 7121; something called out, i.e. a public meeting (the act, the persons, or the place); also a rehearsal:—assembly, calling, convocation, reading.

servile ( עֲבֹדָה `abodah ab-o-daw' )  or mabowdah (ab-o-daw'); from 5647; work of any kind:—act, bondage, + bondservant, effect, labour, ministering(-try), office, service(-ile, -itude), tillage, use, work, X wrought.

work ( מְלָאכָה m@la'kah mel-aw-kaw') from the same as 4397; properly, deputyship, i.e. ministry; generally, employment (never servile) or work (abstractly or concretely); also property (as the result of labor):—business, + cattle, + industrious, occupation, (+ -pied), + officer, thing (made), use, (manner of) work((-man), -manship).

Yes, the day of preparation was the same day (15th day of the first month, which is Nisan) It was also the day before the weekly Sabbath.   That particular weekly Sabbath was also a "high" day because it fell during the Passover week. 

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Jesus arose from the grave on the Feast of First Fruits, the third day of the Passover week, which was the first day of the regular week (our Sunday).  He was out of the grave sometime after sundown on Saturday evening (after the weekly Sabbath) and 6AM Sunday morning, before sunrise.

• Members

Brother Markle,

The term "holy connvocation" doesn't mean Sabbath.  A "holy connvocation" is more like a time of worship.

Leviticus 23:6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
Leviticus 23:7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

Sister Robey,

I fully recognize that "holy convocation" does not mean a day of rest (Sabbath).  However, I would contend that a day wherein the children of Israel were to do "no servile work" would be a day of rest (Sabbath).

Now, the fifteenth day of the first month, which was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was just one of those days wherein they were to do "no servile work."  So then, I am asking how it could be a day of "preparation" work if it was to be a day of "no servile work"?

Yes, the day of preparation was the same day (15th day of the first month, which is Nisan) It was also the day before the weekly Sabbath.   That particular weekly Sabbath was also a "high" day because it fell during the Passover week. 

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Herein is where we would find our disagreement.  I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday, the 14th day of the first month, the Day of Passover.  Then I would contend that Friday, the 15th day of the first month, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was a high day (holy day) of rest (sabbath), wherein they were to do "no servile work."  Furthermore, I would contend that Saturday was the weekly Sabbath, which would create two consecutive days of rest (Sabbaths).  Finally, I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on Sunday, "the third day" itself from His crucifixion. 

Jesus arose from the grave on the Feast of First Fruits, the third day of the Passover week, which was the first day of the regular week (our Sunday).  He was out of the grave sometime after sundown on Saturday evening (after the weekly Sabbath) and 6AM Sunday morning, before sunrise.

I myself would contend that we can be much more precise about the timing of our Lord's resurrection on Sunday, as per Mark 16:9, which reveals that He was resurrected "early the first day of the week," wherein the word "early" means "early in the morning, at the dawning of the day-time" (approximately 6 am Sunday morning).

grammar

• Members

Sister Robey,

Pastor Markle, yes.  That is what I am attempting to convey.

• Members

Mr 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
Mt 27:63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.