• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

I've tried wrapping my mind around the crucifixion being on Friday; whereas, I can see the possibility of three days using the partial day of Friday, all of Saturday, and Christ rising early on Sunday. However, I don't see how three nights can fit into that timeframe. All that I can see are two nights...Friday and Saturday.

I'm not wanting to argue; I'm just trying to understand. 

Bro. Dan...

Check your Private Messages.  I'm going to send you something else from Jewish Awareness Ministries.  Three days and three nights will always be difficult to figure out in "Western" thinking and terminology.

• Members

Here is a website giving Friday as the day.

http://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/book/e/81/t/three-days-and-three-nights

What they don't say is that Jonah was a sign, a specific sign.  Jonah was in the belly of the fish "Hell" for three days and three nights.  Jesus body was to be in the body of the earth for three days and three nights'  The only sign that was given.  The body was put in the grave in a hurry as the Sabbath was fast approaching, the women came to the tomb at the same time. at the end of the Sabbath towards the dawn of the first day.  This could not be the dawn of the day as that was not the end of the Sabbath.  The women came while it was "yet dark".   No verse says he was raised at dawn.  Every verse mentioning the morning say he WAS risen, that is already risen.

There are a number commentaries on the subject in the following site.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/12-40.htm

I don't see that Jewish "understanding" has preference over what the bible says.  .

• Members

Here is a website giving Friday as the day.

http://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/book/e/81/t/three-days-and-three-nights

What they don't say is that Jonah was a sign, a specific sign.  Jonah was in the belly of the fish "Hell" for three days and three nights.  Jesus body was to be in the body of the earth for three days and three nights'  The only sign that was given.  The body was put in the grave in a hurry as the Sabbath was fast approaching, the women came to the tomb at the same time. at the end of the Sabbath towards the dawn of the first day.  This could not be the dawn of the day as that was not the end of the Sabbath.  The women came while it was "yet dark".   No verse says he was raised at dawn.  Every verse mentioning the morning say he WAS risen, that is already risen.

There are a number commentaries on the subject in the following site.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/12-40.htm

I don't see that Jewish "understanding" has preference over what the bible says.  .

My understanding is that the entire Bible (all 66 books) was penned by Jewish "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (2 Peter 1:21b).

So don't knock "Jewish understanding" when it comes to understanding "what the Bible says".
Romans 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Romans 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Edited by LindaR

• Members

My understanding is that the entire Bible (all 66 books) was penned by Jewish "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (2 Peter 1:21b).

So don't knock "Jewish understanding" when it comes to understanding "what the Bible says".
Romans 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Romans 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Committed to them, but they didn't understand them, or else they would have accepted Jesus.  Even the disciples didn't understand much of it until the Holy Spirit revealed it to them after Pentecost.

• Members

Amazing Facts is SDA.  Careful where you get your info.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realise that.  I did see a SDA site giving Wednesday, but I didn't take anything from that.  I wasn't following their teaching, it just repeated the popular view.  Even the cults get something right from time to time.