• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1 Corinthians 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1 Corinthians 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

• Members

All of this started because of me, and I've remained silent throughout all of the various discussions (and threads). When I posted the originating post regarding a church sign, I was a "Wednesday believer"; however, I will readily admit to having not given the topic thorough study. 

Posts by SFIC and Pastor Markle caused me to dig deeper. After having followed all threads with interest and weighing all that each has contributed, I've come to my conclusion. While I certainly was challenged by SFIC and Pastor Markle, what has settled it in my mind is this....

I've read each account in the gospels slowly and deliberately. To me, the gospel of Mark obviously gives the most detail as far as a timeline. According to what I read in the latter of Mark 15 and the beginning of Mark 16, and unless I've missed something...I now see Thursday as being the day of the Lord's crucifixion.

• Members

All of this started because of me, and I've remained silent throughout all of the various discussions (and threads). When I posted the originating post regarding a church sign, I was a "Wednesday believer"; however, I will readily admit to having not given the topic thorough study. 

Posts by SFIC and Pastor Markle caused me to dig deeper. After having followed all threads with interest and weighing all that each has contributed, I've come to my conclusion. While I certainly was challenged by SFIC and Pastor Markle, what has settled it in my mind is this....

I've read each account in the gospels slowly and deliberately. To me, the gospel of Mark obviously gives the most detail as far as a timeline. According to what I read in the latter of Mark 15 and the beginning of Mark 16, and unless I've missed something...I now see Thursday as being the day of the Lord's crucifixion.

As some may notice, I have offered my "like" to Brother McWhorter's posting above.  Some may view this as being motivated because Brother McWhorter came to the same position unto which I hold.  Indeed, I cannot claim that this is completely separated from my motivation.  However, in a far greater way I was motivated to offer my "like" to Brother McWhorter's posting above as an encouragement unto him and unto others to engage in deeper, more thorough study of Biblical matters and to come thereby unto a more rooted, personal conviction on those Biblical matters.

Honest, humble, thorough, truthful Bible study is GOOD!  Let us ever do more of it!  AMEN!!!

(Sorry, Brother McWhorter.  The post originally said, "Brother Wayne," instead of "Brother McWhorter."  I have a card with written names in order to keep track of correct names for various members.  I looked at the card wrong.  I pray that you will forgive me.)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

Bro Scott et al, I thank you all for your thoughtful posts.  I have never considered Friday as being valid from the timrscale point of view so some years ago I looked at alternatives.  I did not look on the internet until a couple of weeks ago. where I found one. ICR, supporting Friday and one supporting Wednesday, I did not use any of that as I had already written my thoughts to pass to our church members who all support Friday

My thoughts.

For Friday.  John 19:31  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Against Friday. all the timing.  Even allowing for "A part of a day is counted as a whole day."

For Thursday.  Most of you have put good points on that so I won't repeat them.

Against Thursday.  It still uses "A part of a day is counted as a whole day." which as I have said I do not believe, as God is a God of exactness. Three days and three nights means exactly three days and three nights, or 72 hours,  and John 19:31  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.  If Thursday was the day, then Three Days And Three Nights would end on Sunday evening. It would also mean that Friday was also a Sabbath.

I had already posted my thoughts on Wednesday, on another thread but cannot find it now. However to that i would repeat that I believe that Christ was crucified in the middle of Daniel's 70th prophetic week and also in the middle of a literal week.

• Members

Bro Scott et al, I thank you all for your thoughtful posts.  I have never considered Friday as being valid from the timrscale point of view so some years ago I looked at alternatives.  I did not look on the internet until a couple of weeks ago. where I found one. ICR, supporting Friday and one supporting Wednesday, I did not use any of that as I had already written my thoughts to pass to our church members who all support Friday

My thoughts.

For Friday.  John 19:31  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Against Friday. all the timing.  Even allowing for "A part of a day is counted as a whole day."

For Thursday.  Most of you have put good points on that so I won't repeat them.

Against Thursday.  It still uses "A part of a day is counted as a whole day." which as I have said I do not believe, as God is a God of exactness. Three days and three nights means exactly three days and three nights, or 72 hours,  and John 19:31  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.  If Thursday was the day, then Three Days And Three Nights would end on Sunday evening. It would also mean that Friday was also a Sabbath. I also believe that the Messiah was cut off in the midst of the (70th) week as well as the literal week.

• Members

Invicta.....

Daniel's 70th week is not a literal 7 day week.  The 70 weeks are "weeks of years" in Daniel 9:24-27.  You are allegorizing this passage of prophecy all out of context.

Excerpt from the Way of Life Encyclopedia: DANIEL – David W. Cloud

Daniel 9:24-27. God's timetable for restoring Israel and overthrowing the Gentile powers.

The Seventy Weeks. The occasion of the 70 weeks was Daniel's prayer that God would have mercy on Israel. The vision of the 70 weeks is God's answer. In this vision God reveals to Daniel the time schedule and major events which will lead to the establishment of Israel's Messianic kingdom.

The Length of Time of the 70 Weeks. The Hebrew term for weeks here (shebuah) simply means "sevens." The context must determine whether it is a week of days, or of years, etc.

(1) The weeks which have already been fulfilled demonstrate these are weeks of years rather than of days. It was almost 500 years from the rebuilding of the temple and of Jerusalem until the coming of Christ. This fits perfectly the testimony of Daniel 9:25, which places 69 weeks of years (483 years) between the two events. It is only reasonable to believe that the 70th week shall also be a week of years, or a seven year period.

(2) When this Hebrew term is used of weeks of days, the word "days" is added (Daniel 10:2-3).

(3) The concept of weeks of years was familiar to Jewish thinking (Leviticus 25:3-9).

(4) At the time of the vision, Daniel had been thinking in terms of weeks of years (Daniel 9:2 compared with 2 Chronicles 36:21).

The Divisions of the 70 Weeks. The 70 weeks are divided into distinct groups.

(1) During the first 7 weeks (49 years) Jerusalem was rebuilt in troublous times (compare Nehemiah).

(2) The next 62 weeks (434 years) extends from the rebuilding of Jerusalem until the coming of the Messiah.

(3) Between the 69th and 70th week is a period of undetermined time during which the Messiah is cut off (compare Matthew. 27), Jerusalem is destroyed by Roman armies (A.D. 70), and there are desolations until the end. The Hebrew word translated "desolation" is also translated "destruction (Hosea. 2:12). It refers to the fact that Jerusalem has been destroyed and overrun time and again throughout the interim period between the 69th and 70th weeks. Unforeseen by Daniel is the interlude of the church age, during which time the Messiah is resurrected and ascends back to Heaven to oversee the calling out of a people for His name from among the nations (Luke 19:11-27; Acts 15:14-18).

(4) The 70th week (the final seven years). The prince of the revived Roman Empire will make a covenant with Israel. That the Antichrist arises from the revived Roman Empire is evident by the fact that he is called the prince of the people who destroyed Jerusalem after Messiah's death; this was Rome. In the middle of the seven years the Antichrist will desecrate the Jewish temple (compare Matthew 24:15; 2 Thess. 2:3-4). There will be desolations until Christ returns to overthrow the Antichrist (compare Matthew24:16-21; Revelation 11:2). The abomination that makes desolate marks the middle of the seven years. Compare Matthew 24:15 where Jesus places this event in the Tribulation period. This abomination of desolation probably refers to the occasion when the Antichrist will set himself up as god (2 Thess 2:4).

Sorry for getting off track here......back to the topic of Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

I was motivated to offer my "like" to Brother McWhorter's posting above as an encouragement unto him and unto others to engage in deeper, more thorough study of Biblical matters and to come thereby unto a more rooted, personal conviction on those Biblical matters.

Honest, humble, thorough, truthful Bible study is GOOD!  Let us ever do more of it!  AMEN!!!

:amen: Praise God for such wise counsel and encouragement! What wonderful blessings await us when we enter into the study of the Word with hearts open to the teaching of the Holy Spirit, the author of Scripture.:bible:

Thank you Father God for the fine example these men of God are setting here before us.:sSig_praiseGod:

• Members

Sister Robey,

I fully recognize that "holy convocation" does not mean a day of rest (Sabbath).  However, I would contend that a day wherein the children of Israel were to do "no servile work" would be a day of rest (Sabbath).

Now, the fifteenth day of the first month, which was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was just one of those days wherein they were to do "no servile work."  So then, I am asking how it could be a day of "preparation" work if it was to be a day of "no servile work"?

Herein is where we would find our disagreement.  I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday, the 14th day of the first month, the Day of Passover.  Then I would contend that Friday, the 15th day of the first month, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was a high day (holy day) of rest (sabbath), wherein they were to do "no servile work."  Furthermore, I would contend that Saturday was the weekly Sabbath, which would create two consecutive days of rest (Sabbaths).  Finally, I would contend that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on Sunday, "the third day" itself from His crucifixion. 

I myself would contend that we can be much more precise about the timing of our Lord's resurrection on Sunday, as per Mark 16:9, which reveals that He was resurrected "early the first day of the week," wherein the word "early" means "early in the morning, at the dawning of the day-time" (approximately 6 am Sunday morning).

Brother Markle,

I have been corresponding via email with a Jewish brother in Christ , Mark Robinson, executive director of Jewish Awareness Ministries concerning the three days and three nights, and the "high" day in John 19:31.  Here is his response to my question concerning the Sabbath and the Sabbath being called a "high day" in John 19:31:

Hi Linda,

Sabbath is always Saturday.  The “high” or “floating” sabbath crowd is wrong. Judaism only recognizes one sabbath day – Saturday. Here is additional info on the “High” or “”Great” Sabbath.

(The Great Sabbath) commemorates the 10th day of Nissan, when the Hebrew slaves took the lambs that they were going to offer for Pesach and tied them up outside their homes, to keep until they offered it on the 14th (Ex. 12:3-6). According to tradition, this was a dangerous thing to do, because Egyptians worshipped sheep, but miraculously, instead of slaughtering the Hebrews, the Egyptians instead fought with each other over whether the Hebrews should be sent away already.Shabbat Ha-Gadol is the Shabbat before Pesach (Passover). Traditionally, this was one of the few times of the year that a rabbi gave a lengthy sermon (in modern times, we get one every week). The sermon was usually about preparations for Pesach, and this special Shabbat commemorates a preparation for the original Pesach in Egypt. Shabbat Ha-Gadol“ 

The special haftarah reading for this Shabbat is Malachi 3:4-24. This messianic prophecy regarding the end of days and the return of the prophet Elijah is read at this time because it is believed that Elijah will return at Pesach. This is why we include a cup for him in our seder rituals.”  

Judaism 101, http://www.jewfaq.org/special.htm#HaGadol

There is never 2 sabbath days in a row. Sabbath is ALWAYS Saturday. There are a number of “special” Sabbaths but they are always on Saturdays – see http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Shabbat/Special/special.html

Mark Robinson

Jewish Awareness Ministries

Shabbat HaGadol means "Great Sabbath"

Haftarah is a reading from the Prophets along with the weekly Torah portion (read in the synagogue on the Sabbath)

The book of Malachi in the Jewish Scriptures does not have 4 chapters as the does the book of Malachi in our KJV.....it only has 3 (chapters 3 & 4 are combined to 24 verses (18 verses in chapter 3, and 6 verses in chapter 4)
If anyone is interested in learning more about Jewish Awareness Ministries here is the link to their website:  Jewish Awareness Ministries

• Members

Brother Markle,

I have been corresponding via email with a Jewish brother in Christ , Mark Robinson, executive director of Jewish Awareness Ministries concerning the three days and three nights, and the "high" day in John 19:31.  Here is his response to my question concerning the Sabbath and the Sabbath being called a "high day" in John 19:31:

Hi Linda,

Sabbath is always Saturday.  The “high” or “floating” sabbath crowd is wrong. Judaism only recognizes one sabbath day – Saturday. Here is additional info on the “High” or “”Great” Sabbath.

(The Great Sabbath) commemorates the 10th day of Nissan, when the Hebrew slaves took the lambs that they were going to offer for Pesach and tied them up outside their homes, to keep until they offered it on the 14th (Ex. 12:3-6). According to tradition, this was a dangerous thing to do, because Egyptians worshipped sheep, but miraculously, instead of slaughtering the Hebrews, the Egyptians instead fought with each other over whether the Hebrews should be sent away already.Shabbat Ha-Gadol is the Shabbat before Pesach (Passover). Traditionally, this was one of the few times of the year that a rabbi gave a lengthy sermon (in modern times, we get one every week). The sermon was usually about preparations for Pesach, and this special Shabbat commemorates a preparation for the original Pesach in Egypt. Shabbat Ha-Gadol“ 

The special haftarah reading for this Shabbat is Malachi 3:4-24. This messianic prophecy regarding the end of days and the return of the prophet Elijah is read at this time because it is believed that Elijah will return at Pesach. This is why we include a cup for him in our seder rituals.”  

Judaism 101, http://www.jewfaq.org/special.htm#HaGadol

There is never 2 sabbath days in a row. Sabbath is ALWAYS Saturday. There are a number of “special” Sabbaths but they are always on Saturdays – see http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Shabbat/Special/special.html

Mark Robinson

Jewish Awareness Ministries

Shabbat HaGadol means "Great Sabbath"

Haftarah is a reading from the Prophets along with the weekly Torah portion (read in the synagogue on the Sabbath)

The book of Malachi in the Jewish Scriptures does not have 4 chapters as the does the book of Malachi in our KJV.....it only has 3 (chapters 3 & 4 are combined to 24 verses (18 verses in chapter 3, and 6 verses in chapter 4)
If anyone is interested in learning more about Jewish Awareness Ministries here is the link to their website:  Jewish Awareness Ministries

If the above is true, then the crucifixion must have been on Friday, as the body was put in the grave as the Sabbath was fast approaching.

• Members

I've tried wrapping my mind around the crucifixion being on Friday; whereas, I can see the possibility of three days using the partial day of Friday, all of Saturday, and Christ rising early on Sunday. However, I don't see how three nights can fit into that timeframe. All that I can see are two nights...Friday and Saturday.

I'm not wanting to argue; I'm just trying to understand.