• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Three Days and Three Nights

• Members

Acording to Levitt.com, Jews have have viewed partial days as full days for centuries.

It is not only Jews that do so, but we often do too.

Example:  you go to a car dealership Monday afternoon on your lunch break from work.  You sign a contract to purchase a car for "x" amount of payments in the amount of "x" amount of dollars.  Thursday morning, as you are getting in your car on your way to work,  a neighbor sees the car and asks how long you have had it.  "Three days, I just bought it Monday."  

Three days?  But you bought it after noon on Monday, not in the morning.  Seventy-two hours had not passed.

My chart shows the days and nights that Jesus was in the grave were three days.  Yet, it was not seventy-two hours, nor could it have been.

image.png

• Members
20 hours ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

Acording to Levitt.com, Jews have have viewed partial days as full days for centuries.

It is not only Jews that do so, but we often do too.

Example:  you go to a car dealership Monday afternoon on your lunch break from work.  You sign a contract to purchase a car for "x" amount of payments in the amount of "x" amount of dollars.  Thursday morning, as you are getting in your car on your way to work,  a neighbor sees the car and asks how long you have had it.  "Three days, I just bought it Monday."  

Three days?  But you bought it after noon on Monday, not in the morning.  Seventy-two hours had not passed.

My chart shows the days and nights that Jesus was in the grave were three days.  Yet, it was not seventy-two hours, nor could it have been.

image.png

Not convinced.

Matt 27:63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mar 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

• Members
18 hours ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

If I read the calendar right, Sunday IS three days after Thursday.  LoL

Who said Sunday?  Jesus was resurrected at the end of the Sabbath.  God is a god of exactness.  The body was in the tomb "Three days and three nights"  The body was placed in the tomb at the beginning of the High Day. We constantly read that "The time is fulfilled"  

Exod 12:38  And a mixed multitude went up also with them; and flocks, and herds, even very much cattle. 39  And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they brought forth out of Egypt, for it was not leavened; because they were thrust out of Egypt, and could not tarry, neither had they prepared for themselves any victual. 40  Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years. 41  And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years, even the selfsame day it came to pass, that all the hosts of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.  The selfsame day.

When the temple was destroyed by the armies of Titus, it was the selfsame day that it was  destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar.  Josephus tells us that when Cyrus made his declaration it was 70 years from the day of the start of the captivity.

• Members

The end of the Sabbath begins the first day of the week.

Mark 16:9 (KJV) 9 Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Jesus rose early the first day of the week..

please keep your AD 70 doctrine out of this thread.  It has no bearing on the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

In the other thread (which was locked), I presented the following:

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm. So, do I add my thoughts on the matter of "Good Wednesday" or "Good Thursday"?

To begin, I shall present only this -- Due to the grammatical precision of various passages in Scripture, I believe that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday.

If anyone would be interested for me to present the Biblical support for my position, you may simply ask.

In response to my posting, Brother McWhorter presented the following:

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

I'd like to see it.

Immediately thereafter that other thread was locked.  I believe that this thread might now be the appropriate place to re-engage the discussion.  At this point I shall wait to see if any others might request for me to present the Biblical support for my position.  This will help me to determine if I should present it publicly on the thread or privately to Brother McWhorter alone.

• Members
46 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

In the other thread (which was locked), I presented the following:

In response to my posting, Brother McWhorter presented the following:

Immediately thereafter that other thread was locked.  I believe that this thread might now be the appropriate place to re-engage the discussion.  At this point I shall wait to see if any others might request for me to present the Biblical support for my position.  This will help me to determine if I should present it publicly on the thread or privately to Brother McWhorter alone.

Pastor Markle, please, do share your thoughts on this topic.

• Members

I have already shown from scripture my reasons for believing the crucifixion was Wednesday but I will add that I believe that it was in the middle of a literal week as well as a prophetic week. Dan 9:27

• Members

The bible teaches us that Christ was crucified at 3pm on Wednesday and was sealed in the tomb 3 hours later at 6pm which is the beginning of the Jewish Thursday.  Just as he said he would be, Christ was in the tomb a full 3 days and 3 nights coming out at exactly 6pm Sunday which would be 6pm Saturday for us.

Like Christmas, we follow the Catholic tradition for this holiday even though they got it all wrong.

• Members

There was darkness from the sixth hour till the ninth hour.  The ninth hour was the time of Prayer, Acts 3:1.   It was the time that Cornelius was praying when the angel came to him. Acts 10:3, Acts 10:30.  It was also the hour Christ called out " My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?", the hour of prayer.

• Members

I'd like to see it.

Pastor Markle, please, do share your thoughts on this topic.

Why Good Thursday

1.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on “the first day of the week,” that is – Sunday.

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1)

2.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, that is – approximately 6 am.

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1)

Herein the adverb “early” (being translated from the Greek adverb “proi”) very specifically means early in the morning at the dawning of the daytime.  (Note: This Greek adverb may also be found in Matthew 16:3; 20:1; Mark 1:35; 11:20; 13:35; 15:1; 16:2; John 20:1; Acts 28:23.  A feminine form of this Greek adverb may be found in Matthew 21:18; 27:1; John 18:28; 21:4.  An adjective form of this Greek word may be found in James 5:7; Revelation 2:28.)  So then, any calculations must work backward from approximately 6 am on Sunday morning.

3.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on “the third day” itself, as calculated from the day of His crucifixion.

Matthew 16:21 -- "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."  (See also Mark 9:31; Luke 9:22)

Matthew 20:18-19 -- "Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again." (See also Mark 10:33-34; Luke 18:31-33)

Luke 24:6-7 -- "He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again."

Luke 24:20-21 -- "And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.  But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done."

Luke 24:46 -- "And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day."

Acts 10:40 -- "Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly."

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 -- "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures."

Mathematically, any calculation (1) which recognizes that our Lord’s resurrection occurred early Sunday morning at the dawning of the day and (2) which recognizes that that Sunday was the third day from His crucifixion must come to the conclusion that He was crucified on Thursday.  If Sunday was the third day from His crucifixion, then Saturday was the second day from His crucifixion; and then Friday was the first day from His crucifixion; and then Thursday was the very day of His crucifixion.

4.  Although our Lord Jesus Christ was NOT in the grave precisely for a 72 hour period of time, He was in the grave for a three day and night period of time.

Matthew 12:40 -- "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Calculating from Thursday, as the day of our Lord’s crucifixion, the first night would extend from 6 pm Thursday evening to 6 am Friday morning.  The first day would extend from 6 am Friday morning to 6 pm Friday evening.  The second night would extend from 6 pm Friday evening to 6 am Saturday morning.  The second day would extend from 6 am Saturday morning to 6 pm Saturday evening.  The third night would extend from 6 pm Saturday evening to 6 am Sunday morning.  The third day would then have begun at 6 am Sunday morning; and God’s Word informs us that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning of the third day itself.

Yet what about the position that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday?  This position has a number of problems, as follows:

1.  The problem in mathematical calculation.

If our Lord was crucified on Wednesday and was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, then He could not possibly have been resurrected “the third day.”  Rather, He would have been resurrected the fourth day, which is NOT what God’s Word teaches.  Furthermore, if our Lord was crucified on Wednesday and was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, then He was not in the grave for “three day and three days,” but was in the grave for three day and four nights, not for a 72 hour period of time, but for a 84 hour period of time.

2.  The problem in contextual circumstance.

God’s Word informs us that the women desired to anoint the body of Jesus upon His burial, but did not do so immediately because the day after His crucifixion was a high day (or, holy day) Sabbath.  In addition, Saturday would have been the weekly Sabbath, so that they would not have done so on that day either.  Now, if our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday and buried at approximately 6 pm Wednesday evening, which would have been classified as the beginning of the next day in the Jewish manner, then the question might be asked – Why did the women wait until Sunday in order to anoint Jesus’ body?  Yes, Thursday (from 6 pm Wednesday evening until 6 pm Thursday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and yes, Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  However, Friday itself (from 6 pm Thursday evening until 6 pm Friday evening) would NOT have been a Sabbath.  So then, why did they not go to the grave on Friday?

On the other hand, if our Lord Jesus Christ actually was crucified on Thursday and buried at approximately 6 pm Thursday evening, which would have classified as the beginning of Friday in the Jewish manner, then the choice of the women to wait until Sunday morning makes more sense.  Indeed, then Friday (from 6 pm Thursday evening, when our Lord was buried, until 6 pm Friday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and then Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  Even so, then the first available opportunity for the women would have been early Sunday morning, so as not to break either the high day Sabbath or the weekly Sabbath.

• Members

Why Good Thursday

1.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on “the first day of the week,” that is – Sunday.

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1)  He was already risen.

2.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, that is – approximately 6 am.

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1) He was  risen early the first day of the week, when he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, Again he was already risen and early the first day of the week was our Saturday evening

Herein the adverb “early” (being translated from the Greek adverb “proi”) very specifically means early in the morning at the dawning of the daytime.  (Note: This Greek adverb may also be found in Matthew 16:3; 20:1; Mark 1:35; 11:20; 13:35; 15:1; 16:2; John 20:1; Acts 28:23.  A feminine form of this Greek adverb may be found in Matthew 21:18; 27:1; John 18:28; 21:4.  An adjective form of this Greek word may be found in James 5:7; Revelation 2:28.)  So then, any calculations must work backward from approximately 6 am on Sunday morning.

3.  Our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected on “the third day” itself, as calculated from the day of His crucifixion.

Matthew 16:21 -- "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."  (See also Mark 9:31; Luke 9:22)

Matthew 20:18-19 -- "Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again." (See also Mark 10:33-34; Luke 18:31-33)

Luke 24:6-7 -- "He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again."

Luke 24:20-21 -- "And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.  But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done."

Luke 24:46 -- "And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day."

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 -- "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures."

Mathematically, any calculation (1) which recognizes that our Lord’s resurrection occurred early Sunday morning at the dawning of the day and (2) which recognizes that that Sunday was the third day from His crucifixion must come to the conclusion that He was crucified on Thursday.  If Sunday was the third day from His crucifixion, then Saturday was the second day from His crucifixion; and then Friday was the first day from His crucifixion; and then Thursday was the very day of His crucifixion.

4.  Although our Lord Jesus Christ was NOT in the grave precisely for a 72 hour period of time, He was in the grave for a three day and night period of time.

Matthew 12:40 -- "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Calculating from Thursday, as the day of our Lord’s crucifixion, the first night would extend from 6 pm Thursday evening to 6 am Friday morning.  The first day would extend from 6 am Friday morning to 6 pm Friday evening.  The second night would extend from 6 pm Friday evening to 6 am Saturday morning.  The second day would extend from 6 am Saturday morning to 6 pm Saturday evening.  The third night would extend from 6 pm Saturday evening to 6 am Sunday morning.  The third day would then have begun at 6 am Sunday morning; and God’s Word informs us that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning of the third day itself.

Yet what about the position that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday?  This position has a number of problems, as follows:

If our Lord was crucified on Wednesday and was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, then He could not possibly have been resurrected “the third day.”  Rather, He would have been resurrected the fourth day, which is NOT what God’s Word teaches.  Furthermore, if our Lord was crucified on Wednesday and was resurrected early in the morning on Sunday, then He was not in the grave for “three day and three days,” but was in the grave for three day and four nights, not for a 72 hour period of time, but for a 84 hour period of time.

God’s Word informs us that the women desired to anoint the body of Jesus upon His burial, but did not do so immediately because the day after His crucifixion was a high day (or, holy day) Sabbath.  In addition, Saturday would have been the weekly Sabbath, so that they would not have done so on that day either.  Now, if our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday and buried at approximately 6 pm Wednesday evening, which would have been classified as the beginning of the next day in the Jewish manner, then the question might be asked – Why did the women wait until Sunday in order to anoint Jesus’ body?  I already addressed that in my post on the other thread.  Thursday was a High Day, a Sabbath,  After the Sabbath the women bought spices and prepared them and rested on the Sabbath, then towards the end of the (weekly) Sabbath (Saturday evening, they brought the spices to the tomb.

Yes, Thursday (from 6 pm Wednesday evening until 6 pm Thursday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and yes, Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  However, Friday itself (from 6 pm Thursday evening until 6 pm Friday evening) would NOT have been a Sabbath.  So then, why did they not go to the grave on Friday?

On the other hand, if our Lord Jesus Christ actually was crucified on Thursday and buried at approximately 6 pm Thursday evening, which would have classified as the beginning of Friday in the Jewish manner, then the choice of the women to wait until Sunday morning makes more sense.  Indeed, then Friday (from 6 pm Thursday evening, when our Lord was buried, until 6 pm Friday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and then Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  Even so, then the first available opportunity for the women would have been early Sunday morning, so as not to break either the high day Sabbath or the weekly Sabbath.  Thursday dusk till Saturday dusk is only two days.

Brother Scott, I do not believe this "a part of a day is considered a day" as we are taught.  God is A God of exactness.  

• Members

Why Good Thursday

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1)  He was already risen.

Mark 16:9 -- "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." (See also Matthew 28:1-2; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1-2; John 20:1) He was  risen early the first day of the week, when he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, Again he was already risen and early the first day of the week was our Saturday evening

Brother David,

With your above comments (in red), you reveal a misunderstanding of grammar.  In Mark 16:9 the main (independent) clause is -- "he appeared first to Mary Magdalene."  Even so, the phrase, "Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week," is a dependent clause that begins with the relative adverb "when" and that serves as an adverbial clause to modify the main verb "appeared."  As such, the verb of this dependent clause, "was risen," is specifically presented in the past tense in order to reveal that Jesus "was risen" before He "appeared."  Yet the phrase, "early the first day of the week," is grammatically and specifically a part of the dependent clause and is grammatically and specifically presented as a modifier for the verb of that dependent clause, that is -- the verb "was risen."  Indeed, Jesus "was risen" prior to His appearing unto Mary Magdalene; however, He specifically "was risen" at the very time of "early the first day of the week."  The grammar of the dependent clause does NOT at all indicate that "Jesus was already risen" before "early the first day of the week."  Rather, the grammar of the dependent clause very specifically indicates that "Jesus was risen" at the very time of "early the first day of the week."

• Members

Brother David,

God’s Word informs us that the women desired to anoint the body of Jesus upon His burial, but did not do so immediately because the day after His crucifixion was a high day (or, holy day) Sabbath.  In addition, Saturday would have been the weekly Sabbath, so that they would not have done so on that day either.  Now, if our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday and buried at approximately 6 pm Wednesday evening, which would have been classified as the beginning of the next day in the Jewish manner, then the question might be asked – Why did the women wait until Sunday in order to anoint Jesus’ body?  I already addressed that in my post on the other thread.  Thursday was a High Day, a Sabbath,  After the Sabbath the women bought spices and prepared them and rested on the Sabbath, then towards the end of the (weekly) Sabbath (Saturday evening, they brought the spices to the tomb.

Could you provide the particular passage(s) of Scripture which informs us that the women bought and prepared the spices on Friday?

Could you provide the particular passages(s) of Scripture which inform us that the women came to the tomb on Saturday evening (at approximately 6 pm)?

On the other hand, if our Lord Jesus Christ actually was crucified on Thursday and buried at approximately 6 pm Thursday evening, which would have classified as the beginning of Friday in the Jewish manner, then the choice of the women to wait until Sunday morning makes more sense.  Indeed, then Friday (from 6 pm Thursday evening, when our Lord was buried, until 6 pm Friday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and then Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  Even so, then the first available opportunity for the women would have been early Sunday morning, so as not to break either the high day Sabbath or the weekly Sabbath.  Thursday dusk till Saturday dusk is only two days.

Indeed, Thursday 6 pm until Saturday 6 pm is two full days, that is -- both the first and second day and night.  Then Saturday 6 pm until Sunday 6 am is the third night, and just after 6 am Sunday morning would be the beginning of the third day.  Now, in eleven different verses of the New Testament, God's Word informs us that the very day of our Lord's resurrection was "the third day" itself (not after the third day was wholly completed, which would actually be the fourth day).

Brother Scott, I do not believe this "a part of a day is considered a day" as we are taught.  God is A God of exactness.  

Indeed.  Even so, the Lord our God informed us through His Word in eleven different verses that Jesus the Christ was resurrected "the third day."

• Members

Why Good Thursday

God’s Word informs us that the women desired to anoint the body of Jesus upon His burial, but did not do so immediately because the day after His crucifixion was a high day (or, holy day) Sabbath.  In addition, Saturday would have been the weekly Sabbath, so that they would not have done so on that day either.  Now, if our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday and buried at approximately 6 pm Wednesday evening, which would have been classified as the beginning of the next day in the Jewish manner, then the question might be asked – Why did the women wait until Sunday in order to anoint Jesus’ body?  Yes, Thursday (from 6 pm Wednesday evening until 6 pm Thursday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and yes, Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  However, Friday itself (from 6 pm Thursday evening until 6 pm Friday evening) would NOT have been a Sabbath.  So then, why did they not go to the grave on Friday?

On the other hand, if our Lord Jesus Christ actually was crucified on Thursday and buried at approximately 6 pm Thursday evening, which would have classified as the beginning of Friday in the Jewish manner, then the choice of the women to wait until Sunday morning makes more sense.  Indeed, then Friday (from 6 pm Thursday evening, when our Lord was buried, until 6 pm Friday evening) would have been the high day Sabbath; and then Saturday (from 6 pm Friday evening until 6 pm Saturday evening) would have been the weekly Sabbath.  Even so, then the first available opportunity for the women would have been early Sunday morning, so as not to break either the high day Sabbath or the weekly Sabbath.

Pastor Markle, I agree with the majority of your synopsis, except for the "two Sabbath's" theory.  Linda is a Jew, and she says that the Jews never have two Sabbath's in a week.  

Sabbath means Rest, and Seventh or Seven.  The Sabbath was literally the last day of the week.

AThere was a high holy day that week because of the Passover.