• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Kyle Odom, the Man Who Shot Idaho Pastor, Says Meditation Started it All

• Members

Kyle Odom, the Man Who Shot Idaho Pastor, Says Meditation Started it All

LTRP: A “manifesto,” written by former Marine Kyle Odom, the 30-year-old man who shot Idaho pastor Kyle Remmington, reveals that his life started to change drastically when he began doing meditation while in university to relieve stress. The meditation experiences led him to come into contact with familiar spirits (which he thought were aliens) and […]

The post Kyle Odom, the Man Who Shot Idaho Pastor, Says Meditation Started it All appeared first on .

View the full article

• Members
7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

This knucklehead practiced the eastern mystic version of meditation, clearing one's mind to allow the devils in.  Bible meditation is to fill one's mind with God's Word!  

That's why so many today prefer the eastern mystic version. In order to meditate upon God's Word in their mind a person would actually have to read God's Word, and read it enough so His Word would be in their mind to meditate upon. That's something most professing Christians either claim to have no time for or they just aren't interested in.

My Associate Pastor (in his 30s) and myself were speaking with a pastor (in his 50s) new to the area. What began as a simple greeting and get-to-know-you meeting turned into a question and answer session. This long-time pastor, in his mid-to late 50s, began talking of things my Associate Pastor and I just looked at one another with that "really?" look. That pastor had misconceptions about basic Bible matters and as we explained some to him he began asking all sorts of questions on things he should have known long before he became a pastor. He was solid on the Gospel of salvation, but had many mixed ideas of so many other things.

I relate that to simply point out how even many pastors these days are so out of touch with the Word they can't rightly preach or teach.

The local Methodist pastorate, which encompasses three small-town Methodist churches in the area, hired a Charismatic preacher because no Methodist preachers applied.

• Members

This morning I phoned a friend who I had not heard from for a long time.  He is a charismatic and I have had contact with him on and off  for perhaps over 30 years.  He was a builder and had a triple heart bypass and had not worked for a while some years ago but helped me do some work on our manse.  While he was there we had long conversations and he always refers back to that to say that stopped him being a charismatic.  Was converted under the ministry of Ted, a Brethren man he was working for but got involved with Pentecostals. Ted said he should leave them but he ignored Ted.   He has been involved if a number of strange churches, and I have always told him he should leave and eventually he has but has always joined another, probably worse, or eventually ended up being worse.  He will not come to our church because he thinks it is dead because we don't use CCM, and also because a number of our leaders are teachers and he had a bad experience with teacher when he was a school. 

Today he said his pastor and the man the pastor has brought to succeed him when he retires next year are bringing Bethel Soaking into the church.  He has tried to warn everyone in the church about it but they have turned against him and he has left the church which should be a sister church to ours as it was founded by the same two brothers.He has tried to describe Bethel to me a number of times but I didn't take it in, so I did a search and a video is below. I don't suppose you will want to watch much of it, I didn't.  He said today if you thought Toronto was bad, this is worse.  I did suggest a church he may try which I have been told has good preaching but lighter music.   

• Members
47 minutes ago, John81 said:

I don't have time to watch the entire video right now but from the portions I did watch, I don't get it. What's supposed to be going on here?

Soaking.   am nt sure what.  \i think it is supposed to be the spirit, but what spirit?

I shouldn't bother to watch more, it doesn't change much but it seem that is spreading through the charismatic churches.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

The term, "Bethel Soaking," reminds me that one of the indications that a movement is a cult is that they invent words and phrases that are directly associated with their movement. For instance, Jehovah's Witnesses have words and phrases that identify them as such and set them apart from other religious groups.

Here are a few of the words I have heard:

Bethel = Headquarters in Brooklyn, NY.
Memorial = The Lord's Supper
Governing Body = The leaders at Bethel.
Elders = Local leaders.
Publishers = Those going door to door passing out literature.
Pioneers = Full time servants, like missionaries.
Ministerial Servants = Men who help out in services, like passing the microphone.
Faithful and Discreet Slave = First it was the founder, then his successors, today it is the governing body.
Slave = Always used instead of Servant.
Fine = Always used in place of the word "Good".
Holy Spirit = Always spoken or read this way instead of using the definite article "The."
Kingdom Hall = Used instead of church or church building.
Talk = always used in place of a sermon or lesson.

These are just a few, I am sure I could come up with others given more time, but I am sure you get the idea.

• Members

A lot of those phrases are used by JWs.

The UK headquarters of Bethel is in Gravesend, Kent. So named because one of the great plagues of London reached as far as there, after that there were no more graves due to the plague.  It seems the new plague is spreading from there,