• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Student Expelled from Study for Expressing Views that May Offend

• Members
6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I did move and the Lord provided.  Sixty six miles north to the Treasure Coast of Florida.  

There is liberty on the Treasure Coast of Florida?

My son is in another part of Florida and finding very little good there.

Friends who moved to Florida have all returned. Only a few seniors I know still go to Florida for the winter but then return for the rest of the year.

It's not just Florida. Those who used to escape to Texas are returning and those who used to winter in Texas have stopped doing so.

• Members

We still have religious liberty here in Florida.  In my particular area, many of our government leaders are professing Christians of one stripe or another even some Independent Baptists.  Folks here are not likely to be persecuted for taking biblical stands.

As for Invicta's question to me, there are Christian nations now in Africa and I believe the Czech Republic while Ayn Rand type of libertarianism, also provides religious liberty.  The Pilgrims went Dutch for religious liberty and then set their sights on America for evangelism.  

As for you John and Florida and Texas, folks move to these warmer climes usually for health reasons, more temperate weather is easier on the body and respiratory system.  Florida also doesn't have an income tax, a plus for those still working.

• Members

CitizenGo has another online petition on the same subject.  this time to the Welsh assembly. Mostly we follow the US but it seems we are leading the way to destruction

"Last month we launched a campaign against the Government’s plan to implement new powers to regulate and inspect ‘out-of-school-education’. Should these plans come into effect, we could well see censorship of traditional views on sexual ethics and the inherent dignity of the human person, as well as other currently unorthodox views.

Before seeing how this works in practice the Welsh government has launched a public consultation over plans to regulate out of school education including Sunday schools and church youth groups. The Welsh Government’s proposals are very similar to those previously proposed in Westminster.

This proposals represent an outrageous intrusion of the state into community and family life and must be stopped!

Sign this petition to the Welsh Government Minister for Education and Skills, Huw Lewis, urging him to reject these proposals.

http://www.citizengo.org/en/pc/33469-welsh-government-prohibit-undesirable-teaching

As with the plans in Westminster, the Welsh government proposes that any “out-of-school” education settings that provide intensive education (over six to eight hours a week) will be required to register and undergo inspection. Importantly, the state will also be given power to shut these down if such things as “undesirable” teaching are detected.

There are many families and communities which are seeking to teach their children their own traditions and they should be able to do this free from the prying and censoring eye of the state.

Forbidden activities subject to state regulation include “undesirable teaching” or “teaching which undermines or is incompatible with our values of mutual respect and tolerance, or which promotes extremist views.”

Sign this petition to the Minister for Education and Skills, letting him know that the state has no place in overriding parents and communities in the moral education of their children.

http://www.citizengo.org/en/pc/33469-welsh-government-prohibit-undesirable-teaching

As before, exactly what constitutes “extremist views” is unclear, and we should be deeply concerned since the standards for what constitutes extremism are likely to continue expanding. Today, support for traditional marriage is considered extreme (by none other than the Education Secretary Nicky Morgan!) as is being pro-life. Tomorrow it could be virtually anything!

We should all be deeply concerned when the state determines the “right” way for its citizens to raise their children.

Yours sincerely,

Greg Jackson and the entire Team at CitizenGO

P.S. We should resist all forms of thought policing which the Government, with its sweeping proposals, seeks to implement. Sign this petition urging Huw Lewis to reject these proposals arguing that we do not need more government intervention in our lives and arguing for the freedom of families and communities to raise their children in accordance with their own traditions."

• Members

This is about weird social media, Facebook is similar but more subtle.

On Tuesday, March 08, 2016 at 7:54 PM, swathdiver said:

Run!  Get the men in your church to run!

Carter and Bush have no salvation testimonies.  G. W. recounted in his autobiography that Billy Graham told him some folks were just born christian while others had to work at it.  I pray for his salvation and have once or twice for Carter.

Bush also attended Bohemian Grove, and is a member of Skull and Bones, I think the 'christian' thing was just his public image.

This if from Bohemian Grove. It's a fake human sacrifice.

In the franking coverup there are allegations of real snuff videos being proposed at Bohemian Grove. (about 20 years before Alex Jones sneaked in to film the mock human sacrifice.)

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

I think that Government and the world is in so much worse a state than it appears, that running for office will not help, if the time and effort were spent in prayer it would be many times more effective, and also God might grant grace by putting certain politicians in office. one prayer might equal 1000 votes.

• Members
On Sunday, March 06, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Invicta said:

This is a petition to the British Govt so you probably cannot enter it but I put it here as a news item.

The 38-year-old student and father of four, Felix Ngole, has recently been expelled from his course of study by the University of Sheffield because of a Facebook post he shared which expressed his disagreement with same-sex “marriage”.

Felix made the comments last September on his facebook page in relation to Kim Davis, the marriage clerk from Kentucky who refused to issue a marriage licence to a same-sex couple. He defended her freedom of conscience and in the course of discussion expressed his view on the Bible’s teaching on sexual ethics.

This is not about equality and not about same-sex marriage either. It is about our fundamental right to the free expression of our views without fear of censorship or discrimination from academic institutions or the state.

Sign this petition to the Minister for Universities and Science, Jo Johnson MP, asking him to see that the freedom of speech at university is upheld and asking him to use his influence to see the University of Sheffield's decision reversed.

http://www.citizengo.org/en/pc/33353-student-expelled-expressing-wrong-opinions

At a subsequent “Fitness to Practice Committee”, Felix was told that he had been “excluded from further study on a programme leading to a professional qualification" and is "no longer recognised as a University student." Their reasoning: he “may have caused offence to some individuals” and had “transgressed boundaries which are not deemed appropriate for someone entering the Social Work profession.” They went on to say that his action would have has an effect on his “ability to carry out a role as a Social Worker.”

Felix has in fact worked with people in same-sex relationships in the past and there have been no issues, something which the university has apparently entirely ignored.

In short then, Mr Ngole made a comment on his personal facebook page which expressed an opinion deemed inappropriate of someone preparing to enter into social work and his studies were terminated.

Sign this petition to the Minister for Universities and Science, asking him to use his authority and influence to end the censoring of students’ views.

http://www.citizengo.org/en/pc/33353-student-expelled-expressing-wrong-opinions

Apparently, being qualified to do your job or complete the course requirements is not enough – equally as important is that you think the “right” way and hold the “correct” opinions. Which, in this case, means that you support same-sex “marriage” and reject mainstream Christian belief.

Felix said he is “determined to challenge the decision because of its wider consequences and the huge issues of freedom of religion and freedom of expression that it raises.”

“My beliefs about marriage and sexual ethics reflect mainstream, biblical understanding, shared by millions around the world. Simply expressing that understanding, in a personal capacity, on my Facebook page, cannot be allowed to become a bar to serving and helping others in a professional capacity as a social worker.”

This kind of censoring of traditional views of marriage and the family cannot continue.

Yours sincerely,

Greg Jackson and the entire Team at CitizenGO

PS Freedom of speech has come under attack at university a lot recently with students who hold pro-life views and traditional understandings of marriage most frequently being silenced. But university is precisely the time when all these views should be debated, when we should have our most cherished beliefs scrutinised and laid bare. Only then can we know if they are worth having. This is not an equality issue, but an issue of basic freedoms – the freedom to pursue and express the truth as we see it. Sign this petition to end censorship at university.

cvcc  

Northern Ireland is the politically/morally/Protestant strongest part of Britain. I don't think that the Apostles would have wasted their time voting, even if the possibility were available to them, Jesus at times scorned Herod, but I don't remember Christ or any of his Apostles engaging in politics any more than was necessary to not cause offense.

where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty, including freedom of speech.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members
6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

We still have religious liberty here in Florida.  In my particular area, many of our government leaders are professing Christians of one stripe or another even some Independent Baptists.  Folks here are not likely to be persecuted for taking biblical stands.

As for Invicta's question to me, there are Christian nations now in Africa and I believe the Czech Republic while Ayn Rand type of libertarianism, also provides religious liberty.  The Pilgrims went Dutch for religious liberty and then set their sights on America for evangelism.  

As for you John and Florida and Texas, folks move to these warmer climes usually for health reasons, more temperate weather is easier on the body and respiratory system.  Florida also doesn't have an income tax, a plus for those still working.

If you are only speaking of religious liberty then that's still in most of America.

There are "Christian" nations in Africa but they are often run badly. A couple from our church spent several months in Africa. They were stationed in government schools, which are "Christian" but they are very much dictatorial and authoritarian in nature. The idea of a God who loves is unbelieved because those supposedly representing God in the schools (teachers and staff) use rough punishment often and for minor infractions. Sad.

Indeed, most folks head to Florida or Texas for the warmer weather which benefits their health. The reason so many are returning home or no longer going there over the winter months has to do with the changing populations and the danger that comes with such.

Most of those I know, and have known who moved to or spent time yearly in Florida, were around Pensacola, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, and a few other places I don't recall right now. The car I bought a few years ago belonged to an older couple who used to drive it to Florida every winter.

I'm glad things are good for you in your part of Florida. That's a blessing.

• Members

I haven't visited Fort Myers in about six years.  It was nice when I was there and was seriously considering moving there but the Spirit of the Lord put us just south of Fort Pierce.  Pensacola is a military town and also the home of Pensacola Christian College, Ruckman's college and a host of evangelists in and around the city including Kent Hovind and Dave Young.  Lots of good Godly churches in that area.  I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale and left about twenty years ago because of crowding.  The yankees have completely taken over and most of them are quite rude and selfish.  Very worldly and immoral place today.