• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Backslide, Backslider, Backsliding, etc. not found in N.T.

• Members

A concordance search will reveal that the "doctrine" of "backsliding" is nowhere found in the New Testament.  This is yet another example of "replacement theology", where a doctrine that applies to Israel is misapplied to the Body of Christ.

Hosea 11:7  And my people  [Israel] are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

Hosea 4:16  For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place.

Jeremiah 8:5   Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.

Jeremiah 3:14  Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Jeremiah 3:12  Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.

etc.

A "doctrine" for the Body of Christ that is found in Paul's Epistles is the "doctrine" of   Walking in the Spiritsee Romans 8 & Galatians 5

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  Galatians 5:16
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.  Romans 8:5
A Christian is either "walking in the Spirit" or they are "walking in the flesh". 
There is no reason to take an O.T. Israeli phrase and force it to apply it to the Body of Christ.
Edited by beameup

• Administrators

So then, only Jews can backslide? That is utter nonsense. When we do what they did we backslide. It has nothing to do with replacement theology, it is simply a word we have adopted to describe a specific situation.

• Members

Hello beameup

I also dislike the false doctrine of "replacement theology"; But I think it mainly applies to transferring promises God made to Israel, to the Church.

As for the idea that "backsliding" is not to be applied to New Testament Saints; I must disagree.  If what we see happening in Corinth wasn’t backsliding, I don’t know what it was.

Also, we see the end results of being a backsliding Christian, in 1 John 2:28....  
"And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

------------------------
As always, I have not arrived yet; So I could be wrong.
So let me know, if you find a flaw in my logic.

• Members
1 hour ago, Donald said:

Hello beameup

I also dislike the false doctrine of "replacement theology"; But I think it mainly applies to transferring promises God made to Israel, to the Church.

As for the idea that "backsliding" is not to be applied to New Testament Saints; I must disagree.  If what we see happening in Corinth wasn’t backsliding, I don’t know what it was.

Also, we see the end results of being a backsliding Christian, in 1 John 2:28....  
"And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

------------------------
As always, I have not arrived yet; So I could be wrong.
So let me know, if you find a flaw in my logic.

Thanks for your comments, but due to the "culture" of that area, I don't doubt that they simply were not aware that they were "sinning" (as hard as that is for us to believe).  It seems to me that they were simply "feeding the flesh" (and lusts thereof).  To me, there is an obvious omission by the Holy Spirit of the word "backslide/backslider" in the entire New Testament.  Now, there is a "command" doctrine of "walking in the Holy Spirit" which, in 45 years in IFB, I have never heard a single "peep" coming from the pulpit on this "doctrine".

It's not at all unusual for O.T. (Hebrew) "doctrines" to creep slowly into the Body of Christ.  I've even seen the "curses" on Israel applied to the Body of Christ.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways;
then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles 7:14 
Sure doesn't sound like the "Gospel of Grace" to me, but how many times have I heard this applied to the Body of Christ?

• Members

Although we all use the term interchangeably from OT to NT, the actual meaning of the word backsliding has nothing to do with falling into fleshly sin.

It is a word by context that means "turning" from God and it does not apply to anyone born again. It is quite impossible.

This is the reason why it cannot be found in the NT.

We simply misuse the word in our time and apply it to living fully in the flesh.

IMO it probably was propagated on Christians by replacement influence at some point and we just ran with it.

Edited by wretched

• Members
9 hours ago, beameup said:

A concordance search will reveal that the "doctrine" of "backsliding" is nowhere found in the New Testament.  This is yet another example of "replacement theology", where a doctrine that applies to Israel is misapplied to the Body of Christ.

Hosea 11:7  And my people  [Israel] are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

Hosea 4:16  For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place.

Jeremiah 8:5   Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.

Jeremiah 3:14  Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Jeremiah 3:12  Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.

etc.

A "doctrine" for the Body of Christ that is found in Paul's Epistles is the "doctrine" of   Walking in the Spiritsee Romans 8 & Galatians 5

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  Galatians 5:16
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.  Romans 8:5
A Christian is either "walking in the Spirit" or they are "walking in the flesh". 
There is no reason to take an O.T. Israeli phrase and force it to apply it to the Body of Christ.

Doctrine

Correction

Reproof

Instruction in Righteousness

• Members

The context of this post is another example of not rightly dividing God's Word, hyper-dispensationalism.

walking in the flesh and backsliding can be used interchangeably.

And Alan is right, that glorious Psalm 23 is to be used for doctrine, correction, reproof and instruction in righteousness.  Amen! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Backsliding is indeed taught in the new testament. Not necessarily the word backslide of any state, but rather words or phrases  such as left thy first love, thou art fallen,idolater, lest he fall, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ, and not endure sound doctrine etc. The book of Galatians warns of it.  There is even indications of it for a brother overtaken in a fault.  If you think about it, even Peter is guilty of it when he denied Jesus Christ thrice.

Left thy first love / thou art fallen

Revelation 2 :1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

Revelation 2 :2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Revelation 2 :3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.

Revelation 2 :4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

Revelation 2 :5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 2 :6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 2 :7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Idolater / lest he fall

1 Corinthians 5 :11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

1 Corinthians 5 :12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

1 Corinthians 5 :13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 10 :1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

1 Corinthians 10 :2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

1 Corinthians 10 :3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

1 Corinthians 10 :4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 10 :5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

1 Corinthians 10 :6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

1 Corinthians 10 :7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

1 Corinthians 10 :8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

1 Corinthians 10 :9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

1 Corinthians 10 :10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

1 Corinthians 10 :11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1 Corinthians 10 :12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ / bewitched you / not obey the truth / fallen from grace

2 Corinthians 11 :1 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

2 Corinthians 11 :2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

2 Corinthians 11 :3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11 :4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Galatians 3 :1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 3 :2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3 :3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 3 :4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

Galatians 3 :5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 5 :1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galatians 5 :2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

Galatians 5 :3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Galatians 5 :4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Galatians 5 :5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Galatians 5 :6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Galatians 5 :7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Galatians 5 :8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.

Galatians 5 :9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Galatians 5 :10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.

Galatians 5 :11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

Galatians 5 :12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

not endure sound doctrine /  turn away their ears from the truth

2 Timothy 4 :1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Timothy 4 :2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2 Timothy 4 :3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

2 Timothy 4 :4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Timothy 4 :5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

overtaken in a fault / fall into condemnation / do err from the truth

Galatians 6 :1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

James 5 :19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

James 5 :20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Peter's denies thrice / curse and to swear , saying, I know not the man / thou shalt deny me thrice

Matthew 26 :57 And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

Matthew 26 :58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.

Matthew 26 :59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

Matthew 26 :60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,

Matthew 26 :61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Matthew 26 :62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?

Matthew 26 :63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Matthew 26 :64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Matthew 26 :65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

Matthew 26 :66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

Matthew 26 :67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

Matthew 26 :68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?

Matthew 26 :69 Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.

Matthew 26 :70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.

Matthew 26 :71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.

Matthew 26 :72 And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.

Matthew 26 :73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.

Matthew 26 :74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

Matthew 26 :75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

• Members
9 hours ago, Kleptes said:

Backsliding is indeed taught in the new testament. Not necessarily the word backslide of any state, but rather words or phrases  such as left thy first love, thou art fallen,idolater, lest he fall, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ, and not endure sound doctrine etc. The book of Galatians warns of it.  There is even indications of it for a brother overtaken in a fault.  If you think about it, even Peter is guilty of it when he denied Jesus Christ thrice.

Left thy first love / thou art fallen

Revelation 2 :1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;

Revelation 2 :2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

Revelation 2 :3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.

Revelation 2 :4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

Revelation 2 :5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 2 :6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 2 :7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Idolater / lest he fall

1 Corinthians 5 :11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

1 Corinthians 5 :12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

1 Corinthians 5 :13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 10 :1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

1 Corinthians 10 :2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

1 Corinthians 10 :3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

1 Corinthians 10 :4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 10 :5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

1 Corinthians 10 :6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

1 Corinthians 10 :7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

1 Corinthians 10 :8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

1 Corinthians 10 :9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

1 Corinthians 10 :10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

1 Corinthians 10 :11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1 Corinthians 10 :12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ / bewitched you / not obey the truth / fallen from grace

2 Corinthians 11 :1 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

2 Corinthians 11 :2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

2 Corinthians 11 :3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11 :4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Galatians 3 :1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 3 :2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3 :3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 3 :4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

Galatians 3 :5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 5 :1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galatians 5 :2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

Galatians 5 :3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Galatians 5 :4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Galatians 5 :5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Galatians 5 :6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Galatians 5 :7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

Galatians 5 :8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.

Galatians 5 :9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Galatians 5 :10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.

Galatians 5 :11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

Galatians 5 :12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

not endure sound doctrine /  turn away their ears from the truth

2 Timothy 4 :1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Timothy 4 :2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2 Timothy 4 :3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

2 Timothy 4 :4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Timothy 4 :5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

overtaken in a fault / fall into condemnation / do err from the truth

Galatians 6 :1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

James 5 :19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

James 5 :20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Peter's denies thrice / curse and to swear , saying, I know not the man / thou shalt deny me thrice

Matthew 26 :57 And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

Matthew 26 :58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest's palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.

Matthew 26 :59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

Matthew 26 :60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,

Matthew 26 :61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Matthew 26 :62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?

Matthew 26 :63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Matthew 26 :64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Matthew 26 :65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

Matthew 26 :66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

Matthew 26 :67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

Matthew 26 :68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?

Matthew 26 :69 Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.

Matthew 26 :70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.

Matthew 26 :71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.

Matthew 26 :72 And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.

Matthew 26 :73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.

Matthew 26 :74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

Matthew 26 :75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

None of which means the same thing as backsliding in the OT friend.

It is quite impossible for a born again believer to turn from the Living and True God and worship idols again.

Can a born again believer fall into open sin....absolutely.

Can a born again believer repent from the true God and return to idols....absolutely not.

We are used to misusing the term. Noone sealed by the Spirit can backslide (the Bible term backslide, that is)

• Members

All I did was post verses.  I do have some questions though.  Is not the God of Abraham our God?  Isn't Jesus Christ their Saviour as he is ours?  If backsliding, like you suggest, in the old testament equals an impossibility to born again believers today. Then what  are you implying about those believers of the old testament?  Why are they examples to us and why are the things that happened considered ensamples and are written for our admonition?  Can you please explain. 

• Members
25 minutes ago, Kleptes said:

All I did was post verses.  I do have some questions though.  Is not the God of Abraham our God?  Isn't Jesus Christ their Saviour as he is ours?  If backsliding, like you suggest, in the old testament equals an impossibility to born again believers today. Then what  are you implying about those believers of the old testament?  Why are they examples to us and why are the things that happened considered ensamples and are written for our admonition?  Can you please explain. 

Typically the term backslide (in all its forms) is contextually linked to Israel as a whole with a few individual exceptions. And it always referenced adultery against God in their hearts. It never referenced carnal sins.

• Members

An Introduction to the Doctrine of Backsliding in the Old Testament
(Prior to its reference in the Old Testament prophets)

1 Samuel 15:11 – “It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.”

King Saul is herein presented as an individual who “backslid.”  As such, we learn that “backsliding” is essentially to “turn back from following” the Lord by “not performing” the Lord’s commandments.

1 Kings 14:7-9 “Go, tell Jeroboam, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Forasmuch as I exalted thee from among the people, and made thee prince over my people Israel, and rent the kingdom away from the house of David, and gave it thee: and yet thou hast not been as my servant David, who kept my commandments, and who followed me with all his heart, to do that only which was right in mine eyes; but hast done evil above all that were before thee: for thou hast gone and made thee other gods, and molten images, to provoke me to anger, and hast cast me behind thy back.”

King Jeroboam serves as another example of “backsliding.”  As such, we learn that “backsliding” means that an individual does not follow the Lord “with all his heart,” and thus does not obey the Lord’s commandments and do only that which is right in the Lord’s eyes.  Furthermore, we learn that “backsliding” means that an individual does evil in the sight of the Lord and chooses to serve gods other than the Lord, thereby casting the Lord behind his back.  Finally, we learn that “backsliding” provokes the Lord our God unto anger.

Psalm 44:18 – “Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way.”

Herein we learn that “backsliding” is first and foremost a matter of the heart, wherein an individual turns back his heart away from the Lord, which then moves that individual to turn back from a walk of obedience in the Lord’s way.

Psalm 78:56-58 – “Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies: but turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: they were turned aside like a deceitful bow.  For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images.”

Herein we learn of various characteristics in “backsliding.”  First, “backsliding” is to deal unfaithfully with the Lord.  Second, “backsliding” is to turn aside from the Lord.  Third, “backsliding” is to disobey the testimonies of the Lord.  Fourth, “backsliding” is to serve other gods than the Lord.  Finally, “backsliding” will provoke the jealous anger of the Lord.

Proverbs 14:14 – “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.”

Herein again we learn that “backsliding” is first and foremost a matter of the heart.  Furthermore, we learn that a backslider will reap the corruption of his own corrupt ways.

• Members
15 hours ago, Kleptes said:

If backsliding, like you suggest, in the old testament equals an impossibility to born again believers today. Then what  are you implying about those believers of the old testament?

Brother Kleptes,

I believe that you will find that Brother "Wretched" does NOT believe that Old Testament believers were born again (regenerated by the Holy Spirit of God).  Eternally justified by faith alone?  Yes.  Eternally saved through that justification?  Yes.  Eternally regenerated (born again)?  No.

As such, I believe that you will that in his position Brother "Wretched" believes that Old Testament believers could "fall away" from the Lord "more easily" than New Testament believers, specifically because they were NOT born again (regenerated) as we are.