• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why are Christians voting for Donald Trump?

• Members
17 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Proverbs 18:23 The poor useth intreaties; but the rich answereth roughly.

Donald Trump can afford to say whatever he feels like saying. Just because you say whatever you want, do whatever you want, drink and cuss, sleep around and shoot'em-up like "John Wayne" and "Clint Eastwood" while having no real principles, doesn't make you a man...not the Biblical model of one anyway.

Here's one spiritual application for that Proverbs 18:23 verse too, BTW:  A person who is "poor in spirit" can humbly preach the Gospel, in it's simplicity,  preach against the dangers of sin and the love of Jesus with TEARS in his eyes and compassion in his heart, and draw people to Jesus. A "rich" one, on the other hand, can brag about how he "preaches the Bible" while spending too much time of it on talking about how those liberals down the street don't, and pridefully use a lot of fancy, supposedly "deep" stuff, or "skin folks alive" with NO compassion and do far more harm than good. I've seen it both ways, and I'll take the former any day.

If you notice, the man who wrote the article noted Trump wasn't representing biblical manhood.

That aside, how many folks on here have said time and again we aren't electing a pastor. That's also a broad consensus across the land outside of OB. This is how they argued for Christians to support McCain, Romney and others.

Thomas Jefferson, considered one of the best presidents, not only denied Christ, he evicerated the New Testament, cutting out anything to do with the deity of Jesus, all miracles, and other points he disagreed with. He then declared what was left was good.

If we examine the actual lives of most past presidents, including those looked up to by Republicans, conservatives and Christians, there was a whole lot of foul talking, drinking of booze, lying, personal attacking, and a host of other sinfulness in their lives.

As someone above mentioned, George Washington would be found unacceptable today (as would Ronald Reagan and others, as pointed out elsewhere). Today poor George would come under fire for his Masonic connections, his booze business, his slave labor, his stances on the Constitution, views on central vs State government, etc.

There is no perfect (not even close) candidate running. Whoever wins will not remove America from the path of destruction she's been traveling for a long time now.

Christians taking a close look at Acts and the Epistles and actually giving their all to Christ is the only thing that may turn America off that wicked path. Short of revival and/or awakening, America is doomed to the fate of other previously predominate Christian nations.

• Members
2 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Church is for saved people...not for winning the lost. 

Off the OP but curious where on earth you got this idea from?

Study Acts in full but in particular chapter 2. The first church is the example church friend.

Instead of selling cheap head acknowledgement on the street and porches, get them under conviction to come and hear all the Gospel with power so the Spirit can work. We are to go into the highways and hedges and compel them to do what? say a few heartless words on the street? NO. We are to compel them to come in that His house is full.

Edited by wretched

• Members

Quick question: IF Cruz wins the Republican nomination and it comes down to him or Hillary, are y'all going to vote for Cruz? Or will you stay home, or vote for some independent to make it easier for Hillary to win?

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I forgot to mention; remember the term "bandwagon" propaganda? Maybe they call it something else now. Anyway, I wonder of that is the purpose the "polls" serve:  "look who is winning.... you should follow him too". Because they know a lot of people tend to follow the herd.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
40 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Quick question: IF Cruz wins the Republican nomination and it comes down to him or Hillary, are y'all going to vote for Cruz? Or will you stay home, or vote for some independent to make it easier for Hillary to win?

CRUZ all the way. We must defeat the demoncrats

• Members
17 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Mr. Williams is wrong.  Canadian laws on immigration do not affect our immigration laws with regards to citizenship.  We were taught in grade school that if you are born to American parents in a foreign country you are considered a natural born citizen.  See 3a.

Yes

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/01/reports-lawsuit-challenging-ted-cruzs-eligibility-/

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Ted Cruz Citizenship

1. U.S. Department Of State

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met.  The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

2. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A4en.pdf

I was born overseas. I believe I was a U.S. citizen at birth because one or both my parents were U.S. citizens when I was born. But my birth and citizenship were not registered with the U.S. Embassy when I was born. Can I apply to have my citizenship recognized? Whether or not someone born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent is a U.S. citizen depends on the law in effect when the person was born. These laws have changed over the years, but usually require a combination of the parent being a U.S. citizen when the child was born, and the parent having lived in the United States or its possessions for a specific period of time. Derivative citizenship can be quite complex and may require careful legal analysis.

3. U.S. State Department

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality.html

Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Nationality and Dual Nationality

The Department of State is responsible for determining the nationality status of a person located outside the United States or in connection with the application for a U.S. passport while in the United States.  Section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states that “the term ‘national of the United States’ means (A) a citizen of the United States, or (B) a person who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States.”  Therefore, U.S. citizens are also U.S. nationals.  Non-citizen nationality status refers only to individuals who were born either in American Samoa or on Swains Island to parents who are not citizens of the United States. 

Potentially Expatriating Acts

Section 349 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. nationals are subject to loss of nationality if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Briefly stated, these acts include:

1. obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon one's own application after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);

2. taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or its political subdivisions after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);

3. entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the United States or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);

4. accepting employment with a foreign government after the age of 18 if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

5. formally renouncing U.S. nationality before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);

6. formally renouncing U.S. nationality within the United States (The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for implementing this section of the law) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);

7. conviction for an act of treason against the Government of the United States or for attempting to force to overthrow the Government of the United States (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

Dual Nationality

Dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries.  A person who is a dual national owes allegiance to both countries.  Dual nationality can occur as the result of a variety of circumstances. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality, acquired, for example, by birth in a foreign country or through an alien parent, does not affect U.S. nationality.  U.S. law does not require a person to choose one nationality over the other. It is prudent, however, to check with authorities of the other country to see if dual nationality is permissible under local law. Dual nationality can also occur when a person is naturalized in a foreign state without intending to relinquish U.S. nationality and is thereafter found not to have lost U.S. nationality: the individual consequently may possess dual nationality. The U.S. Government does not encourage dual nationality. While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government also recognizes the problems which it may cause. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

3. Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20130818-canada-born-ted-cruz-became-a-citizen-of-that-country-as-well-as-u.s..ece

Published: 18 August 2013 11:04 PM  Updated: 19 August 2013 03:51 PM

For the first time, Cruz released his birth certificate Friday in response to inquiries from The Dallas Morning News.

Dated a month after his birth on Dec. 22, 1970, it shows that Rafael Edward Cruz was born to Rafael Bienvenido Cruz, a “geophysical consultant” born in Matanzas, Cuba, and the former Eleanor Elizabeth Wilson, born in Wilmington, Del.

Her status made the baby a U.S. citizen at birth. For that, U.S. law required at least one parent who was a U.S. citizen who had lived for at least a decade in the United States.

She registered his birth with the U.S. consulate, Frazier said, and the future senator received a U.S. passport in 1986 ahead of a high school trip to England.

4. U.S. State Department

Passport Requirements: What It Takes to Get an American Passport

1. You must be a U.S. citizen or non-citizen national.

Passports are only issued to applicants who possess U.S. citizenship or are non-citizen nationals. Frequently, we receive emails from green card holders wanting to know how they can apply for a U.S. passport. This is not possible unless they go through the process of becoming naturalized citizens of the United States first. U.S. citizenship must be proved in order to get a United States passport unless the person is a non-citizen national.

What is a non-citizen national? Not a surprising question given the fact that non-citizen nationals are rare. Section 308 Immigration and Nationality Act confers U.S. nationality but not U.S. citizenship on persons born in or having ties with "an outlying possession of the United States." The outlying possessions are defined as American Samoa and Swains Island. Also, children born abroad to two non-citizen nationals or to one alien parent and one non-citizen national parent are eligible for non-citizen national status. This is so rare that the State Department does not even issue a certificate for it. Non-citizen nationals are delineated as such in their passports.

5. CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/politics/ted-cruz-canada-citizenship/

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said at the time.

Then he took immediate steps to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

Well, that process was formally completed last month, and he received a letter in the mail this week telling him so, the newspaper reported Tuesday.

"This is to certify that the person named above has formally renounced Canadian citizenshp and pursuant to the Citizenship Act will cease to be a citizen on" May 14, 2014, the letter read.

6. Huffington

Also, if there is any further evidence required that Ted Cruz has US Citizenship, consider the report below. If anyone would seek to discredit a conservative republican, running for president, everyone must agree the following website would.”
Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-van-buren/ted-cruz-is-a-natural-bor_b_8930752.html              01/08/2016 12:03 pm ET | Updated Jan 08, 2016

I believe the above is why Mr. trump has curtailed further comment about Cruz's citizenship. I hope this puts to rest any who may desire to play ‘devil’s advocate’ on the matter of Cruz's citizenship.

• Members

I'm curious as to why people and things Cruz is involved with, that other candidates and individual Christians have been called out for, are not an issue with Cruz. What is the counter-balance that offsets these for Cruz but not other candidates and Christians in general?

Cruz married a Seventh Day Adventist

Cruz says he agrees with his dad's preaching, and his dad preaches dominionism

Cruz has embraced and defended the endorsement of others involved in dominionism, as well as Charismatics and New Apostolic Reformation

Cruz has many advisers and staff from the neo-con Bush camp (which Cruz claims to stand against) and has recently been adding more

Those are just a few of the points that I'm having a hard time understanding why such are targets against other candidates and even Christians in general, yet not a factor when it comes to Cruz.

I've asked people in person about this and they immediately get defensive, try to avoid the question, attack other candidates (mostly Trump these days), get so emotional they make no sense.

One man, a local Christian and friend, literally turned red in the face that I even asked him, expressed his anger and then spoke for 20 minutes about things he doesn't like about Donald Trump (even though he knows I'm well aware of Trumps many negatives and the fact talking about Trump doesn't answer any of the questions).

• Members
32 minutes ago, John81 said:

I'm curious as to why people and things Cruz is involved with, that other candidates and individual Christians have been called out for, are not an issue with Cruz. What is the counter-balance that offsets these for Cruz but not other candidates and Christians in general?

Cruz married a Seventh Day Adventist  

Heidi Cruz

Personal life

Marriage

Nelson met Ted Cruz while the two were working together on George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign.[1][83] Ted later admitted to being embarrassed over taking two days to ask her out. Friends and colleagues of Heidi say that she is an intellectual equal to Cruz. Heidi married Ted on May 27, 2001.[12][84][85]She now shares her husband's religious affiliation.[86][87]   source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Cruz

Cruz says he agrees with his dad's preaching, and his dad preaches dominionism 

Cruz has embraced and defended the endorsement of others involved in dominionism, as well as Charismatics and New Apostolic Reformation

I think Happy Christian has already adequately addressed that.

• Members

I'm curious as to why some people don't understand Cruz is not God's perfection on earth? No, I'm serious!

It's almost as if they want to throw the election by 'shaming' Christians into either voting for someone claimed to have 'perfection' or staying home and not voting at all. Maybe they're actually satisfied with Obama and Hillary or Bernie. Maybe they could devote more time finding dirt on the far left since they seem to have so much time to spend.

• Members

3 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I'm curious as to why some people don't understand Cruz is not God's perfection on earth? .Don't recall seeing where anyone even implied that he was. No, I'm serious!

It's almost as if they want to throw the election by 'shaming' Christians into either voting for someone claimed to have 'perfection' or staying home and not voting at all. Don't recall anyone doing that either. Maybe they're actually satisfied with Obama and Hillary or Bernie. You know that is false Maybe they could devote more time finding dirt on the far left since they seem to have so much time to spend.

• Members
11 hours ago, John81 said:

Psalm 5:11-12

11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

12 For thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Job 36:3  

I will fetch my knowledge from afar, and will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.

Isaiah 64:6  

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

10 hours ago, heartstrings said:

10 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I'm curious as to why some people don't understand Cruz is not God's perfection on earth? .Don't recall seeing where anyone even implied that he was. No, I'm serious!

It's almost as if they want to throw the election by 'shaming' Christians into either voting for someone claimed to have 'perfection' or staying home and not voting at all. Don't recall anyone doing that either. Maybe they're actually satisfied with Obama and Hillary or Bernie. You know that is false Maybe they could devote more time finding dirt on the far left since they seem to have so much time to spend.

1 Samuel 16:7   But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

2 Corinthians 10:7   Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

• Members

Praise God for His holy Word! What a blessing to know we will one day be with Christ, free from sin, our eyes and understanding opened.

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 2 Peter 1:4