• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Parable of the sower

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17

All of the parables have some meaning to instruct every saint, in any dispensation, to bring about reproof, or, "instruction in righteousness." This includes all of the parables of the Lord Jesus.

A lot of Christian "cults" (heresies) have been formed by taking the parables literally and applying them to the Body of Christ.  IFB "Baptist briders" come to mind.  Was Jesus speaking to the Body of Christ when he spoke in parables? 

1. Doctrine, 2. Reproof, 3. Correction, are all separate "categories".  As to the "Instruction in righteousness", well that could be understood to be the entire Bible.  Break the verse down into its elements.

• Members
46 minutes ago, beameup said:

A lot of Christian "cults" (heresies) have been formed by taking the parables literally and applying them to the Body of Christ.  IFB "Baptist briders" come to mind.  Was Jesus speaking to the Body of Christ when he spoke in parables? 

Quite frankly, your post is somewhat insulting. I never said, nor even insinuated, what you mentioned. And, for you to say, "A lot of Christian "cults" (heresies) have been formed by taking parables literally and applying them to the Body of Chist..." is, in my opinion, totally disregarding what I said and not worth responding too.

46 minutes ago, beameup said:

1. Doctrine, 2. Reproof, 3. Correction, are all separate "categories".  As to the "Instruction in righteousness", well that could be understood to be the entire Bible.  Break the verse down into its elements.

That is correct. It does mean to be understood as the whole Bible just as I intended to mean. I do not intend to break them down into its "elements," as what Paul said speak for themselves to mean exactly what he said and I quoted.

Alan

Edited by Alan
revised a phrase to be more clear.

• Members

Brethren,

Even though the Lord Jesus gave the Parable of the Sower to Jewish believers under the Law, Brother Jim Foley gave an excelent discourse on how the Parable of the Sower is, "...profitable for doctrine, reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17

The Apostle Paul knew that every parable, as well as the Law under the Old Testament Jew, was. "... for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." Sister Ronda and Heartstrings elaborated on the Parable to the Sower appropriately and gave us good instruction.

This standard, 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17  is perfectly suitable under the Law, during the Church Age of Grace, during the Tribulation period and up to the Millennium. I can find, "... instruction in righteousness ..." in every Parable of the Lord Jesus, yea, even though it is primarily directed to the nations that were friendly to the Jews and directly applies to the Lord Jesus when He sets up His Kingdom on the earth as revealed in Revelation 20:4-7, the Parable of the Sheep and Goat Nations as written in Matthew 25:31-46.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17

All of the parables have some meaning to instruct every saint, in any dispensation, to bring about reproof, or, "instruction in righteousness." This includes all of the parables of the Lord Jesus.

My above post still stands exactly as I said it and meant it.

Alan

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

The Apostle Paul knew that every parable, as well as the Law under the Old Testament Jew, was. "... for instruction in righteousness

Perhaps you could elucidate on Matthew 25:1-15 "The Parable of the Ten Virgins" as it applies to the Body of Christ?

I wasn't aware that Paul knew all the parables and used all the parables in his teaching (Romans - Philemon).

• Members
22 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER

TEXT:MAT.13:1-10 * 18-23.

INTRODUCTION: There are very few things in the Bible that have generated as much speculation as the Parables that Jesus spoke. Many teachers disagree as to the meaning of some parables, as well as the symbols Jesus used to illustrate what he was teaching. 

When studying the parables it is very important to keep to the main point being taught, it is a mistake to try to make everything fit. If we forget this point it soon becomes very obvious that the parable makes no sense. A parable is not some mystic kind of teaching, it is designed to be understood---but not by everyone. 

I do not claim to be the authority on the interpretation of the parables, and I do recognize that others hold different views. But after many years as a preacher and teacher, I have come to my own conclusions regarding this special form of teaching and the truth that was being taught. Having settled this in my own mind, this is what I teach. 

As we join the lesson, Jesus is by the seaside and as was so common at this time in his ministry, as he sat, the multitudes flocked to him. So great were the crowds, that he had to resort to teaching from a nearby ship. Ver.1-2. 

Ver.3. says that he spoke many things to them in parables. His disciples asked him a question in Ver.10. that would be good for us to deal with as we begin. It is very probable that there were many in the multitude that were unreceptive to his message. As we see later on, even some who professed to be his disciples went back and walked no more with him. This is further indicated by his answer to their question in Ver.11  A parable is a system of teaching that places one thing beside another for comparison or illustration. This was a very common form of teaching among the Jews. The parables of the Jews set forth the Jewish Nationalistic idea of the Kingdom, while the parables of Jesus were just the opposite. All of the parables implied a background of opposition and unreceptiveness concerning the Kingdom, even among his followers. The reason for this form of teaching at this time, was to conceal the truth from some and reveal it to others, as he outlined in Ver.11. 

The fact that some did not understand was not owing to the form of teaching, but rather to the hardness of their hearts. There were two factions following him at this time of his ministry, those who were against him would not believe no matter how plain he made the teaching. So his parables were designed to mystify his enemies, who would not believe anyway, while at the same time increasing the understanding of his believing disciples. This is the meaning of Mat.13:12. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

In short, the time had come to separate these two classes of people, and before it was all over everyone would take his position, either for or against. I might add that this is the same principle that is at work in the world today, the word of God separates people. 

This first parable is called the parable of the sower. As we listen to Jesus teach we can almost see the sower walking his fields, his bag of seed on his shoulder, and as he walks he broadcasts his seed over the fields. Where does it fall? Two things need to be understood at the beginning; one is that the seed that he sowed was good seed. In every instance something happened to it that made it unproductive. The second thing is that before one could understand this parable he must believe that Jesus was the Divine Sower, and that his words were the Seeds of the Kingdom. To anyone else his words would be meaningless. 

This parable then is an illustration of Jesus as the Divine Sower and the seed that he sowed is the Gospel of free Grace.     Some seed fell on the roadside or wayside and died without ever springing up. Ver.4. what’s more, the fowls came and ate them, removing any trace of their being there. We can readily see what these fowls represent in Ver.19. This represents the greatest degree of unreceptiveness such as the Jewish authorities, his most outspoken enemies. 

Some fall on rocky soil and spring up, only to perish without bearing fruit. Ver.5-6.  This represents those in a state of indecision, who are easily persuaded to reject him. They may even have been almost inclined to believe him for a while. 

Some fell among thorns and even grew for a time, but were finally choked out by the thorns before they came to fruit. Ver.7.  This represents those who believe with the head but not with the heart; or those who profess to be the children of the Kingdom but are not saved.

For a time they make a good show but in the end they are fruitless.

The things of the world always mean more to them than spiritual things. 

The fourth and last class is represented by the good ground or ground cultivated by the Spirit, in this ground the seed grows and produces fruit. This represents the person who believes with the heart as well as the head, is saved and a true child of the Kingdom. 

In conclusion, in our interpretation of this parable we have seen that; the sower is Jesus---the seed is the word of the Kingdom or the Word of God. Ver.19. ---the soil is the hearer---the fowls represent Satan described as "that wicked one.” We also see here that the purpose of Satan in the world is to keep men from hearing the gospel and being saved. Lk.8:12.

This story has 4 person types. There are 2 general views.

They both agree that person 1 is unsaved. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

They both agree that person 4 is saved.  15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Person 2 seems to be the biggest question mark. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. This person recieved the gospel, believed it, but didn't finish his christian life strong. He didn't lose his salvation. Just because christians fall doesn't mean they were never saved.  13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Person 3 14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and (bring no fruit to perfection).  In doing some research, I saw where this is translated into Greek as "does not mature". Can anyone verify this?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

So the debate continues between person 2 and 3...must we abide in faith until the end of our lives just like the catholics teach? lol or are we saved when we believe on Jesus?  Enter....someone talking about "meaning business" and how when we believe it has to be enough to change our entire lives (repent of sin) or that is evidence we are a tare. The church of christ cambellites isn't so far from some of us. Someone at my work just told me that the new testement begins in Acts and Revelation has already happened.

• Members

At this point, I shall simply provide my answer to the question of the original post -- I believe that the first ground represents the unsaved, and that the other three grounds all represented the saved.  Furthermore, I believe that the second and third ground represent backslidden believers in two different categories (for two basically different reasons), and that the fourth ground represents faithful believers who keep the faith, finish the course, and bring forth fruit unto the glory of God.

If anyone is interested in further explanation, I am willing to provide it.  However, my time is limited at the present.

• Members

i agree.  here is another verse we should be thinking about. This person has no root, but is saved.  14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

• Members
1 hour ago, Matthew24 said:

i agree.  here is another verse we should be thinking about. This person has no root, but is saved.  14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

2 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

This story has 4 person types. There are 2 general views.

They both agree that person 1 is unsaved. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

They both agree that person 4 is saved.  15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Person 2 seems to be the biggest question mark. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. This person recieved the gospel, believed it, but didn't finish his christian life strong. He didn't lose his salvation. Just because christians fall doesn't mean they were never saved.  13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Person 3 14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and (bring no fruit to perfection).  In doing some research, I saw where this is translated into Greek as "does not mature". Can anyone verify this?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

So the debate continues between person 2 and 3...must we abide in faith until the end of our lives just like the catholics teach? lol or are we saved when we believe on Jesus?  Enter....someone talking about "meaning business" and how when we believe it has to be enough to change our entire lives (repent of sin) or that is evidence we are a tare. The church of christ cambellites isn't so far from some of us. Someone at my work just told me that the new testement begins in Acts and Revelation has already happened.

The meaning of this parable is missed when the context is missed. Our Lord sets the context with the very first example.

The example is that of clear Gospel hearing and opportunity for salvation. There is no indication of a change in context to that of sanctification for already saved believers.

This parable has nothing to do with sanctification.

All 4 examples represent 4 lost souls given the same Gospel hearing and salvation opportunity. Only the last is truly born again.

IMO jumbling the context will cause wild guesswork in interpretations, most of which were propagated by emerging church, easy believism influences.

• Members
7 hours ago, beameup said:

Perhaps you could elucidate on Matthew 25:1-15 "The Parable of the Ten Virgins" as it applies to the Body of Christ?

I wasn't aware that Paul knew all the parables and used all the parables in his teaching (Romans - Philemon).

Beammeup,

It appears that you did not quote me correctly, or twisted my words. I did not say that Paul used the Parables in his teaching.

I am not going to elucidate Matthew 25:1-15 in this thread as it is off subject. :11backtotopic: And, my answer would be the same.

6 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

At this point, I shall simply provide my answer to the question of the original post -- I believe that the first ground represents the unsaved, and that the other three grounds all represented the saved.  Furthermore, I believe that the second and third ground represent backslidden believers in two different categories (for two basically different reasons), and that the fourth ground represents faithful believers who keep the faith, finish the course, and bring forth fruit unto the glory of God.

If anyone is interested in further explanation, I am willing to provide it.  However, my time is limited at the present.

Brethren,

Pastor Markle, in his brief analysis of the Parable of the Sower, is correct.

Alan

• Members

Matthew 13:18-23 Kingdom Parable:    Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Matthew 13:34-35  All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.