• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rejection at Home

• Members

“But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.” (Mark 6:4)

A town will give great honor to a “hometown boy” if he makes good in athletics or the entertainment world. But if he becomes known as an influential Christian, the hometown folks usually are embarrassed about it. More...22uQCynIjXw

View the full article

• Members

I've witnessed this with others and experienced the same myself. Family and former friends become uncomfortable, defensive and verbally combative. So many who knew you or knew of you in the years before salvation can only think of this or that sin from your past which they allow to cloud their seeing the new creature you have become. Others take offense at the idea someone they once knew to be like themselves (basically, a lost sinner) are now "better than" them (in reality we are not "better", we are saved, and whatever light of Christ which shines forth through us bothers them).

These things should be expected as our Lord said living for Him would bring division within families.

Since these people will not hear me, I pray the Lord will send someone to them the Holy Ghost may use to bring them to salvation in Christ Jesus.

• Members

I agree, that often times a person who you are related to or familar with (have known a long time) usually doesn't accept the gospel from someone so close BECAUSE they think we are trying to be morally superior to them.
It's difficult to explain to them that I am a sinner... just as "BAD" of a sinner as they are (for if we offend in one sin we offend in all).
But that the difference is NOT that I am "better" nor "more good" than they are but that I have had my sins paid for, and the righteousness of Jesus Himself is imputed on me.
I try to explain how they can have that too... even if they consider themselves to be "very good" or "very bad" it doesn't matter what standards we (ourselves) use, it only matters what standards God uses.
And that to God... ALL have sinned... ALL would be condemned to hell UNLESS they accept Christ as savior. 
If I am permitted to go into the conversation (without being "shut down" or "shut out" quickly). I try to show them John 3:16-18 also.
Not JUST John 3:16. Yes it's important for a person to know that "WHOSOEVER" (anyone who WILL) can be saved.
BUT it's equally important for them to know that if they "put off" or say they are not making a "decision", they HAVE in fact made a decision NOT to believe, and that is what will condemn them... that they did NOT believe upon the only One who can save them.

John 3:16-18
16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
17 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."
18 "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

I always try to quickly point out that I (of myself) am no "better" than they are... but what IS "better" is that my sins are forgiven and I have believed in the Jesus, the only one who can save.
I also try to quickly point out that I am not trying to tell them I am any less of a sinner than they are, that I (of myself) am not "morally superior" to them in any way. But that Jesus IS truly "morally superior", He is sinless and perfect which is something NO mere human can be.
But that He forgives/wipes out ALL of our sins (past/present/future) when we accept Him as savior.

I admit it IS easier to witness to someone I do not know (or do not know very well) than it is to a family member or long-term aquaintance/friend.
But the motivation behind that reason is the issue.
Is it uncomfortable because they will not respect our words (as this example above, where Jesus was not respected because of the familiarity to them.. where he was raised, etc).
OR (and this is important I think, very important), do we sometimes not witness to others close to us because we fear rejection of them???
IF this is the case, we must overcome that mindset. Because we do not owe allegiance to mankind (or even to ourselves) but to God.

Each of us has to determine the truth and each situation is different. BUT if we are not sharing the gospel BECAUSE of fear of rejection (not just rejection of gospel but rejection of self) it's a very poor reason.
This has caused major rifts in many family/friends relations for many people. But are we willing to place the gospel ABOVE fear of rejection of friends/family??? 
Aren't their souls more important than our own "comfort zone"?

Galations 1:10 "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ."
1 Thessalonians 2:4 "But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts."

John 12:42-43
42 "Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:"
43 "For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God"

Again, this is not always the case... but sometimes I feel sure it is. 
There are those who will say "pray for my family member" because they are not saved...
And often times that person HAS tried to share the gospel with the family member, and the gospel was rejected, and sadly sometimes the person was rejected as well. In that case, prayer truly IS needed, and possibly that person WILL receive the gospel f it comes from someone not familiar (related or friends with).

BUT (and I've seeen this happen a LOT) someone will say "pray for a family member" because they are not saved...
and that person has NOT shared the gospel with that family member they want prayer for. WHY? Because they feared being rejected by that person.
This ought not to be... we have to step out of that comfort zone... YES, sometimes it WILL cause rejection (not just of the gospel but of the friend/family relationship). And YES, it can be uncomfortable to broach the subject.
But what is MORE important? That relationship with a person or the relationship we have with Christ?
What's more important? Their eternal soul or your temporal relationship in life on this earth with that person?
Comfort and fear of rejection shouldn't hinder us from sharing the gospel EVER!

Had to share my 2 cents on this one. It's so important!!!