• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

is it sin to lie?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

am i still sinning when i lie to protect somebody?

suppose i live in a second world war where jews were the primary target of nazi germans for genocide. then some jews ask for my help to hide them to my house which i did to help them. after few moments, a nazi soldiers came and ask were are those jews that they seen running. am i still commit sin if i will tell them that those jews were run away from were i standing so that by lying, i could save the life of those jews? am i still commiting sin to my lie? (see the similarity of rahab and the spies?). knowing if i tell them the truth, those jews that is inside my house will be killed. if i lied, i could save their life.

please help me. :pray
this is causing me trouble inside

• Administrators
am i still sinning when i lie to protect somebody?

suppose i live in a second world war where jews were the primary target of nazi germans for genocide. then some jews ask for my help to hide them to my house which i did to help them. after few moments, a nazi soldiers came and ask were are those jews that they seen running. am i still commit sin if i will tell them that those jews were run away from were i standing so that by lying, i could save the life of those jews? am i still commiting sin to my lie? (see the similarity of rahab and the spies?). knowing if i tell them the truth, those jews that is inside my house will be killed. if i lied, i could save their life.

please help me. :pray
this is causing me trouble inside

Well, a lot of people did lie to help the Jews. But your question reminds me of something that happened to one family. In that particular town (I can't remember which one, sorry), many of the Jewish young men dressed as women so they wouldn't be taken. One family had two such young men. The family was concerned about one of the aunts, because she was a Christian, and they didn't think she would be able to lie convincingly. Well, it happened. German soldiers came to the door and demanded the presence of all who lived there. Everyone, including the two "young women" came out. The soldiers asked if they were hiding any Jewish young men. Before anyone could say no, the aunt began lauging, almost hysterically, and answered that, yes, these two young women were actually men in hiding. Well, she was telling the truth, but because she sounded crazy, the soldiers didn't believe her. So they left. And these two young men were spared.

As I said earlier, pablo...the Bible teaches us it is wrong to lie. God didn't honor Rahab because she lied. He honored her faith...in spite of her lie. It is the same with all of us. God uses us and blesses us in spite of our sin, not because of it. He is a just and holy God and cannot contradict Himself...He would be contradicting His Word if He blessed someone because of their lies.

By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
She showed her faith in receiving the spies with peace (and later by lowering the scarlet cord), NOT by lying about them.

• Members

I would like to put a bit of a twist on the question. Is it always a sin to steal. For this twist I will put my definition of steal. To take something that belongs to someone else. In this it would include the living owner, or his heirs if he is decessed. If you disagree with this definition, please explain.

• Members

Its always wrong to steal.

My explanation, none other needed.

19 Neither shalt thou steal.
Deut 5:19 (KJV)

But I will give a few more reason.

If God blessed us because we steal and or lie, them He would not be a Holy God. We had all better give thanks for the mercy and grace He shows us.

6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.
Psalms 31:6 (KJV)

18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
Psalms 31:18 (KJV)

12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.
Psalms 59:12 (KJV)

29 Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.
Psalms 119:29 (KJV)

163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.
Psalms 119:163 (KJV)

2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
Psalms 120:2 (KJV)

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Prov 6:16-19 (KJV)

22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
Prov 12:22 (KJV)

5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
Prov 13:5 (KJV)

7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.
Prov 17:7 (KJV)

6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.
7 The robbery of the wicked shall destroy them; because they refuse to do judgment.
Prov 21:6-7 (KJV)

28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.
Prov 26:28 (KJV)

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Eph 4:28-30 (KJV)

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Cor 6:9-11 (KJV)

Stealing and lying is not being Christ like, both of them grieves the Holy Spirit within the child of God.

Stealing and lying comes from living in the flesh and is not of God. There is a way that seem right to man, but its not of God.

• Members
I would like to put a bit of a twist on the question. Is it always a sin to steal. For this twist I will put my definition of steal. To take something that belongs to someone else. In this it would include the living owner' date=' or his heirs if he is decessed. If you disagree with this definition, please explain.[/quote']

OK, I gave it a couple of days to see what everyone would reply. Now the explanation of my question. If you take the definition I gave for stealing, it would also apply to taking the spoils of war. Outside of war, if you kill a man (even if you consider him your enemy) and take what he has it is murder, and theft (stealing). But, during war it is called the spoils of war. The tithe to Melchisadec was the spoils of war by Abraham. At times in the conquest of Caanan God told the Isrealites to destroy everything. At others he told them they could take of the spoils of war. Had they not been at war they would have been stealing. I believe the same holds true to ones such as Rahab. When a child is growing up, do you reward them for a good out come when they directly disobey?? When they do something bad and it ends up causing something good?? I would hope not. But that is what some are saying God did with Rahab. Rewarded her for sinning. For had she not lied, the spies would have been arrested. You can say that she could have done it a differant way, but then where is the repromand for the sin? She was rewarded. I find nowhere it mentions in the Bible that she did anything wrong. Only a building up of her because of faith.

• Members

So a country can declare war on another country, them if they win they have the right to take everything they want from that country?

Lying shows a lack of faith in God. Why not always tell the truth them trust God to take care of you? If I have to lie and help God, them he is not much of a God and not worth serving, but surely we all know that is not true.

Once any person starts lying and stealing they become their own god.

I stand on the Holy Scriptures I previously gave.

My explanation, none other needed.

19 Neither shalt thou steal.
Deut 5:19 (KJV)

But I will give a few more reason.

If God blessed us because we steal and or lie, them He would not be a Holy God. We had all better give thanks for the mercy and grace He shows us.

6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.
Psalms 31:6 (KJV)

18 Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
Psalms 31:18 (KJV)

12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.
Psalms 59:12 (KJV)

29 Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.
Psalms 119:29 (KJV)

163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.
Psalms 119:163 (KJV)

2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
Psalms 120:2 (KJV)

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Prov 6:16-19 (KJV)

22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
Prov 12:22 (KJV)

5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.
Prov 13:5 (KJV)

7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.
Prov 17:7 (KJV)

6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.
7 The robbery of the wicked shall destroy them; because they refuse to do judgment.
Prov 21:6-7 (KJV)

28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.
Prov 26:28 (KJV)

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Eph 4:28-30 (KJV)

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Cor 6:9-11 (KJV)

Stealing and lying is not being Christ like, both of them grieves the Holy Spirit within the child of God.

Stealing and lying comes from living in the flesh and is not of God. There is a way that seem right to man, but its not of God.

• Members

you know, I don't think about it. of course, right now I would tell the truth and I'll let God guide me to do the right thing., but when the situation actually do come up, I could do exactly opposite of what I say I'll do. If I sinned, there's not much I can do change that. Hopefully I don't have to go through it. And I would tell the truth and not lie. but I would also warn the jewish people that I have to tell the truth too. But I do everything I can to help them find a safe place.

Remember Peter didn't think he would deny Christ, but when the situation came up, he did.

• Members

If you've read many of my post you may have seen me say, "I know what I hope I would do," That is until I've been tried, walked in those shoes, been tested I do not know what I would do in the heat of the moment.

But the right thing would be to tell the truth and put 100% faith in God and trust him with your life, body, and soul. Lying shows lack of faith.