• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Debating Calvinism (James White vs. Dave Hunt on John 6:37-4

Willo

• Members

G?day!

I found this interesting video on YouTube looking at the issue of Calvinism, it is a debate with James White (Calvinist) and Dave Hunt (non-Calvinist). It is quite a decent video, so I thought I would share it with you, and get your opinions on it as well.

http://sovereigntybaptist.blogspot.com/ ... -dave.html

May this video encourage us all to think more theologically as we come to dealing with the deep things of Scripture.

• Members
May this video encourage us all to think more theologically as we come to dealing with the deep things of Scripture.

Salvation is not one of the deep things of scripture.

Salvation is the key to understanding all of the rest of God's word, not the end of studying God's word.

• Members
Have you read Dave Hunt's What Love Is This??

You ought to. :thumb

Not all of it. I found it rather disturbing how Mr. Hunt misquotes Spurgeon, and paints him as a non-calvinist, this clearly showed Mr. Hunts lack of understanding of what Spurgeon actually taught, and showed a lack of scholarship. I have however read his book he co-wrote with James White regarding the Calvinism debate.

• Members

Salvation is not one of the deep things of scripture.

Salvation is the key to understanding all of the rest of God's word, not the end of studying God's word.

I would disagree, for once we start to study the doctrine of salvation, we start to study the mercy and grace of God. This of course is a very deep subject, as we can never fully fathom the fullness of God.

• Members

Then what are you doing trying to convince others of error of Calvinism?

I would contend that it is not error but rather the correct exegesis of Scripture. If you are going to make claims that it is in error, then please provide evidence to support such statements. :)

• Members
Not all of it. I found it rather disturbing how Mr. Hunt misquotes Spurgeon' date=' and paints him as a non-calvinist, this clearly showed Mr. Hunts lack of understanding of what Spurgeon actually taught, and showed a lack of scholarship. I have however read his book he co-wrote with James White regarding the Calvinism debate.[/quote']

I don't care much for Spurgeon (He said some good things, but he obviously didn't understand Biblical salvation.), but Hunt only uses Spurgeon to hurt the credibility of Calvinism because he knows how much you guys like Spurgeon, not because he believes Spurgeon to be non-Calvinistic.

• Members
I would contend that it is not error but rather the correct exegesis of Scripture. If you are going to make claims that it is in error' date=' then please provide evidence to support such statements. :)[/quote']

You asserted the validity of Calvinism so you must prove that. It's called prima facia.

You already stated that you think we are wrong on the issue so it is not our responsibility to prove to you the are in error for thinking we are in error. :cooldude:

• Members

The video I posted clearly shows where people like Dave Hunt is in error in regards to the exegesis of John 6. Now, if you think that that was in error, and if you believe that I am pushing error, then please show me where I am wrong.

• Members

Maybe you could provide evidence that isn't from Calvinist activists? All the info you're giving comes from Calvinists, not the Bible.

Did you not post support from Dave Hunt? Surely, that isn't Scripture. I have provided Scriptural support in the video, yet, you haven't engaged the topic at hand, but rather attacked Calvinism, without actually providing any evidence.