• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell - 4 Steps to Move from a Ministry Vision to a Ministry Victory

• Members

sunrise-over-the-mountains

If there is anything you learn over years in ministry it is that victory doesn’t “just happen.”

But you don’t have to learn that by experience. You can see it in the example of David’s preparation and charge to Solomon for the temple. From David’s earliest desires to see the temple built to Solomon’s completion of it, there was a process that included steps of victory you and I can follow today.

This past Sunday, I highlighted for our church family four steps to victory in ministry from the testimony of David. In our case, we’re planning to expand our campus for our Spanish and children’s ministries. But these principles are true regardless of the specifics.

So how do you prepare for ministry victory?

1. Prepare your heart.

Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:—1 Chronicles 28:2

I love that David had a pure and passionate heart for God right up to the end of his life.

A God-honoring victory has to begin here—with a real love for God from the heart. Without this starting place, any “victory” will eventually disintegrate as the work of the flesh.

Before you draw up a strategy, consider a budget, or attempt to coalesce a team, start with a heart prepared to fully follow and seek after God.

2. Prepare your mind.

And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever. Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.—1 Chronicles 28:9–10

There is a mindset that goes with victory. It’s a willing mind and a believing mind that is able to see great things accomplished for God in the face of overwhelming odds.

When we are of the mindset that God can do anything and, regardless of what He may call us to do, we’re already determined to follow through, great things happen for His glory.

3. Prepare a pattern.

Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,—1 Chronicles 28:11

David didn’t stop with the admonitions to have a pure heart and a willing mind. He proceeded to give Solomon a pattern for the construction of the temple.

If a biblical vision will survive, it must be accompanied by a strategy of faith. Someone must have the clarity of heart and mind to develop a plan for how that vision can take place.

In our case of expanding our Spanish and children’s facilities, that plan is a six-step inter-connected process of multi-phase expansion. In your case, what would victory look like? Do you have a pattern or strategy to see it to completion?

4. Prepare resources.

Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colours, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance. Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house,—1 Chronicles 29:2–3

Every vision of faith requires resources, and the great thing is, if the first three steps have been taken in faith, this final step is done with vigor.

I love how David said, “I have prepared with all my might” as he spoke of setting aside resources for God’s work. David’s heart was in this project, thus his financial participation was personal and abundant.

These four steps of preparation are a vital foundation to lasting victory. Sometimes in our eagerness to see something accomplished for God, we are tempted to begin with step three or four. The result is a short-lived victory of the flesh.

On the other hand, sometimes in our fervency for God, we might linger on steps one and two—always dreaming but never really putting our hand to the plow. The result is an empty might-have-been.

But when we begin with a heart in love with God, add a mind set on seeing His Word go forth, develop a real strategy of faith, and invest financially—and when we lead others to do the same—the result is a ministry victory for the glory of God.

A0q2snquJTQ

View the full article