Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

What was Jesus' mission?

Rate this topic

MountainChristian

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

I wonder if you would care to point us to the forum rules where it lays out "proper quoting proceedure".......

Your basic arrogance knows no bounds.

That's hilarious coming from someone that enters a thread with personal attacks and ignores the OP.

That's okay, Dave, from here on out each personal attack will be reported to Moderation, and this certainly qualifies.

The purpose of my statement is that I am not going to waste time trying to respond to someone that does not know basic common courtesy on a Debate Forum, but, for you...I'll make an exception.

God bless.

1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Answering within a quote is a proper and accepted practice on this forum.

If separation of such a reply is a problem, one can isolate items to quote by...

• Locate the word, sentence, or paragraph that you want to quote.
  • Place your cursor at the beginning of what you want to quote.
  • Hold your left mouse button down, and drag the cursor over until you have highlighted all that you want to quote.
  • Release the mouse button, and a small window will pop up that says "Quote This" (or something similar).
  • Click the words "Quote This".

The quoted selection will then appear in your reply.

To my knowledge and experience, this only works on computers though...not phones...or not my phone anyway...

There is no appeal to the "Guidelines" of this forum, I am speaking that personally I will not respond to posts where the member posts within another member's post, which is not, on any forum, proper and accepted practice, but, leads to confusion as to who says what, and in Doctrinal Discussion and Debate, there is no reason to add to the confusion caused by some members.

I did find that the quote function allowed for quoting what was written in my post, however, as I said, I am not going to interact with a member that has the habit of doing this. I did respond to his initial post, but in the future, will not do so.

God bless.

• Lady Administrators

1. There is no problem with requesting someone to be a bit more selective in quoting. It does make it easier for one to read. 

2. It didn't hurt to point out that there is no forum rule regarding basic quoting procedure, and though offense might have been taken at the "arrogance" accusation, mayhap the accused needs to reconsider the attitude in which he is posting. High-hattedness does not fly here very well, although we have all at one time or another posted arrogantly. Sadly.

3. If one doesn't want to respond to someone based on the fact that they don't use the kind of quoting procedure that one demands, that's fine, too. But there's more to common courtesy than the quote button...

But this is silliness. Knock it off.  

Report problems to the moderators, please. But don't spam us on a personal vendetta. Just a forewarning.

Now, let's get back to topic. And, please - stop posting long, long posts. It is as difficult to read long, nattering posts to some as it is to read "improperly" quoted parts.

I'd sure hate to lock another thread...

• Members
49 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

Under the two gospel doctrine, no sins are forgiven until AFTER Jesus has been to the cross.

I am not really sure what you are implying with "the Two Gospel Doctrine," because there is but One Gospel of Christ.

That the Kingdom Gospel is distinct from the Gospel of Jesus Christ is evident, because (1) the Gospel of Christ is a Mystery not revealed in that Age (the Age of Law) and (2) we do not see the Lord sending His disciples out to preach the Gospel, for they themselves did not know the Scripture that He should rise from the dead:

John 20:9

King James Version (KJV)

9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

The passage does make the statement they believed, but, what they believed was that Christ's body was gone from the tomb. If one tries to make it say they believed on Christ, then what does one do with the very statement quoted here? It says plainly, they did not know the Scripture that He must rise from the dead...yet."

Secondly, sin was in fact forgiven before the Cross, but not on an eternal level:

Hebrews 9:12-15

King James Version (KJV)

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

We cannot equate atonement under the provision given to men in the Ages prior to the establishment of the New Covenant on the Blood (Death) of Christ with the Atonement provided through Christ Himself.

Most do that, by the way, because they equate salvation prior to Eternal Redemption being obtained by Christ with atonement provided through the vicarious death of animals.

So did Jesus forgive sins before the cross?

Yes, He was God, He could do that. But every reference you can find of Christ forgiving sin cannot be equated to the remission of sins provided by His Sacrifice.

Christ would still need to die for those He forgave.

The only conclusion one could draw if they deny that is that there were people who received Atonement apart from the Work of the Cross. And I know it is popularly taught that men were "saved on credit," but, the simple truth is that the Atonement of the Cross became available when Christ actually died on the Cross. There is nothing in Scripture that teaches "salvation on credit."

Colossians 1:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Matthew 9:5-6 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Mark 2:9-10 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

Luke 5:23-24 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

So the man sick of the palsy was eternally forgiven apart from Christ's Work? He would not have to remain obedient to the Law?

Can we overlook the rest of the voluminous testimony from Christ and the Apostles?

Here is another passage that makes it clear that the sins of men were forgiven at the Cross:

Romans 3:23-26

King James Version (KJV)

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Antisemitism says Jewish people are not part of humanity.

How is that relevant to anything I have said?

Jesus came to all humanity, all need to be saved from their sins.

It is not me you argue with:

Matthew 10:5-7

King James Version (KJV)

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

They did not go to the Gentiles and Samaritans, and this is commanded of them by Christ, Who also stated...

Matthew 15:22-24

King James Version (KJV)

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

So, MC, what is the Lord saying here?

50 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

Humanity as a whole rejected Jesus, Jews and Gentiles.

And I agree with that, but, that does not change the fact that Messiah had a specific Role to Israel in His earthly Ministry, and a distinct Role as Savior of the World.

If you consider that the Gospel of Christ was a Mystery and not revealed in past Ages, and that His Ministry to Israel was within the framework of the revelation provided to them at that time (the Hebrew Scriptures, the Old Testament), then you will have to acknowledge that Christ ministered under the Law, and did so...because He had not yet established the New Covenant as was promised in the Old Testament.

I am really surprised that on an Independent Fundamental Forum that the concept of the distinction between the Kingdoms is not readily known. We see a difference in the Kingdom that was Israel, the Kingdom that will come (restored Israel, in the Millennial Kingdom), the Kingdom which is the rule of God in the hearts of believers, and the Kingdom which will come, the Eternal State.

How do you, if you don't mind me asking, reconcile that Christ states "The Kingdom of God is within you," and Paul stating that we have been translated into the Kingdom of His dear Son? Was not Paul a Hebrew of the Hebrews? Does he not distinguish the difference between being a member of Israel and being translated into the Kingdom of Christ?

God bless.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
10 hours ago, S.T.Ranger said:

That the Kingdom Gospel is distinct from the Gospel of Jesus Christ is evident, because (1) the Gospel of Christ is a Mystery not revealed in that Age (the Age of Law) and (2) we do not see the Lord sending His disciples out to preach the Gospel, for they themselves did not know the Scripture that He should rise from the dead:

So after seeing Jesus rise from the dead and spending about 40 days with Him, they did not know Jesus was going to rise from the dead. On Pentecost preaching Gospel of the Kingdom under one gospel doctrine Peter does know Jesus rose from the dead.

Act 2:23-24 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

So if Gospel of the Kingdom includes the Cross and Resurrection like Peter preached it is the Gospel of Christ. One gospel doctrine. 

Under two gospel doctrine, read the cross, then turn back towards the front of the Bible and teach Matthew 10. Yes, after the cross two gospel teaches the eleven disciples never preach the cross and resurrection. "we do not see the Lord sending His disciples out to preach the Gospel, for they themselves did not know the Scripture that He should rise from the dead" 

Edited by MountainChristian
spelling error

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Well, let's see.

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

So, do we all understand this first point? Good. Then lets move on to the second point.

Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Still with me so far?

Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Sins were not washed away before the death of Christ, for anybody. Jew or Gentile.That's why paradise, or Abraham's bosom. A place to wait until those sins that were merely covered temporarily by the blood of animals could be removed permanent by the blood of the Lamb. When Christ ascended to glory to present His worthy sacrifice to the Father, and placed His blood on the mercy seat in the throne room of Heaven, paradise was emptied and all who believed in faith, from Adam to the thief on the cross, entered into their final "rest", Heaven. Their sins were now forgiven, gone, removed, not just covered. The gospel, the "good news" IS Jesus Christ and his finished work, and since there is only one Jesus Christ, there is only one gospel. The Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God are two different kingdoms, yes, but both are ultimately built on Christ and his finished work, so the "gospel" of each is still the same. One gospel. My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Abraham's Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. One Gospel.