• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Mark Them"

• Members

Paul: Now I beseech you, brethren, mark [ skopeō ] them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.  Romans 16:17

Paul: Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark [ skopeō ] them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.  Philemon 3:17

skopeō - to look at, observe, contemplate  [as in to "scope out", observe]

Note: skopeō does not mean vile personal, or verbally abusive attacks and name-calling

Luke 6:14b "out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

• Members

I wish the owner of this forum would apply this verse to you.  This is a forum for Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning, Bible-Believing Local Church Baptists.  It is not a forum for universal hyper-dispensationalist protestants promoting heresy and apostasy.

Paul also said to follow Christ; the Ruckmanites always forget that one. 

• Members
2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

the Ruckmanites

Here we go with the name-calling again. I don't know anyone here who quotes Ruckman.

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Paul also said to follow Christ

Yes, he did! Christ never said to call people names and unfairly categorize them with people they are not associated with.

• Members

Acts 15:1-2 -- "And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.  When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question."

Questions #1 -- In the activity of "no small [that is - a quite large and intense] dissension and disputation," were Paul and Barnabas committing a sin against the Lord God by engaging in this activity?

Question #2 -- In the activity of "no small dissension and disputation," were Paul and Barnabas acting contrary to the Lord God's commands of godly love and kindness?

Question #3 -- If Paul and Barnabas were not committing a sin against the Lord God by engaging in this activity of "no small dissension and disputation," is this activity one of those in which we are to be following after the apostle Paul's example?

• Members

Seems like I recall someone saying...

I think that the shallow "drive-by" poster has already added his two-cents.  Shallow posters like that are simply desiring attention, as their responses are very limited in intellect and they never have any meaningful Original Post to offer.

• Members
15 hours ago, beameup said:

Paul: Now I beseech you, brethren, mark [ skopeō ] them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.  Romans 16:17

Paul: Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark [ skopeō ] them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.  Philemon 3:17

skopeō - to look at, observe, contemplate  [as in to "scope out", observe]

Note: skopeō does not mean vile personal, or verbally abusive attacks and name-calling

Luke 6:14b "out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2014 at 6:16 PM, beameup said:

I recommended Feldick once as an example of someone on TV that understands "rightly dividing" of Scripture.  I will also recommend Ruckman and Richard Jordan

A half-hour of watching should give one an understanding of the concept.  Further "watching" will not further the understanding of "rightly dividing"... unless one is "thick" [Prov 7:7]

However, it appears that MountainChristian is addicted to watching Les Feldick.  

BTW, do they understand the difference between "watch" and "recommend" Down Under?

Study to shew thyself approved unto God,

a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,

rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15

9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I wish the owner of this forum would apply this verse to you.  This is a forum for Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning, Bible-Believing Local Church Baptists.  It is not a forum for universal hyper-dispensationalist protestants promoting heresy and apostasy.

Paul also said to follow Christ; the Ruckmanites always forget that one. 

I think its because this is Ruckman teaching without giving Ruckman credit.

• Moderators

"For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith." (Titus 1:10-13)  Paul sounded pretty rough here. While he may not have called them liars and slow bellies, he certainly agreed with it.  Paul often named names of those in the wrong, even Peter. Why? Because especially those who may have influence on many, particularly outside of their own ministry, they have a much more public ministry and as such, they should be rebuked publicly for the edification of others who may hear and be in danger of falling to their false teachings or sin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Brethren, be followers together of me [Paul], and mark [skopeō] them  which walk so, as ye have us for an ensample. Phil 3:17
skopeō:  look at, observe, contemplate (in this case, follow their "example")
Edited by beameup

• Members
2 hours ago, Critical Mass said:

You people will never change. It's time to put away the baby bottle for the meat of the word. No wonder this forum is dead.

But you're an agnostic who believes that God is unknowable; therefore, it shouldn't matter to you whether we are on the milk or meat of God's word. Babes in Christ and mature Christians both learn to know God through his word.

• Members
8 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

But you're an agnostic who believes that God is unknowable; therefore, it shouldn't matter to you whether we are on the milk or meat of God's word. Babes in Christ and mature Christians both learn to know God through his word.

How can anyone who is confused over their own salvation from one day to the next be lead by the Spirit in any doctrine. He puts Christ to an open shame and is beyond reproof.

• Members
7 hours ago, wretched said:

How can anyone who is confused over their own salvation from one day to the next be lead by the Spirit in any doctrine. He puts Christ to an open shame and is beyond reproof.

At some point, many (new) Christians are led astray by false teachers... you know, the ones who claim their "superiority" because the went to a seminary, and love titles like "pastor".  It is common for these false teachers to take portions of scripture that are directed at Jews (ie: Hebrews) and force them to apply to the Body of Christ.  Many have stumbled over Hebrews 6:6. 

• Members
1 hour ago, beameup said:

At some point, many (new) Christians are led astray by false teachers... you know, the ones who claim their "superiority" because the went to a seminary, and love titles like "pastor".  It is common for these false teachers to take portions of scripture that are directed at Jews (ie: Hebrews) and force them to apply to the Body of Christ.  Many have stumbled over Hebrews 6:6

Sorry friend

I am as dispensational as the next guy and probably more so but I cannot subscribe to this idea that any whole Book in the NT is non-applicable to every man and woman. Besides, Paul wrote Hebrews and that fact is beyond any shadow of doubt in my mind.