• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Motivation of example #3 wood-hay-stubble?

Ronda

• Members

1 Cor. 3:10-15 
10 "According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon."
11 "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."
12 "Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;"
13 "Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."
14 "If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward."
15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

We already know of the various crowns and rewards which will be given in the (Bema) judgment seat of Christ specifically for believer's (and understand fully that these works are in no part a contingency to salvation, but are rewards given only to believer's for things done after salvation).
It's interesting that throughout the OT when kings crowns are described, they also include gold and precious stones (physical ones).
These earthly crowns are (somewhat of) a replica of heavenly things... a foreshadow of things to come. The heavenly crowns will be incorruptible.
And the things done in our bodies (after accepting Christ) are judged according to God's standards, as He is the One who knows the true intent of each heart. 

Before I ask these questions (below) I want to first state that in ALL cases, Jesus is the foundation. Our goal should be to build upon the truth in the saving grace of Christ and His perfect atoning sacrifice on the cross, defeating death... by His (willing) death, burial, and resurrection. And that ALL people must individually make the decision to either believe/accept or refuse to believe/deny Jesus' gift of eternal salavation.
One last sure thing is... no matter what I (myself) think, the Lord Himself will determine the answer, and it shall be revealed by fire. What the Lord determines is "wood, hay, and stubble" shall be burned up!(no reward) and what the Lord determines to be "gold, silver, precious stones" will abide through the trying fire (reward given).

Here is the set of questions I have been pondering (especially example #3):
Let's say a believer shares the gospel of grace through faith in Jesus with an unsaved person... did the believer share the gospel to truly serve the Lord?

For example #1... did the believer share the gospel with the unsaved person because of true charity (love) for the unsaved person, not desiring that the unsaved should face the torments of eternity in hell, but rather that the unsaved would accept Jesus and spend eternity with Him?  
#2 Or did the believer share the gospel with the unsaved so that other (possibly fellow believer's) would SEE (or hear about) them doing so? 
#3 Or did the believer share the gospel with the unsaved in the hopes of earning a reward? And if so... (even if the reward is heavenly), if that was their SOLE motivation is that a selfish motivation? 

It would seem clear (to me) that in example #1 it would be "gold, silver, precious stones" (1 Tim. 2:3-4)
It's also clear (to me) that in example #2 it would be " wood, hay, stubble" (and as such would be burned up, the works only, not the person)

But in example #3 I have been pondering this question this week in earnest. 
The reason I bring it up is because of a few fellow believer's (not here, but on another group, who do also share the gospel with unbeliever's) have made some statements which have caused me to wonder.
One said: "Let's get busy and win souls to Christ because we have little time left to earn the crowns and rewards".
A few others made similar statements. They didn't mention that they were desiring to serve the Lord by giving the gospel to the unsaved, they didn't note any concern for the lost unsaved souls which will suffer in hell for eternity should the unsaved chose to reject Jesus...
I then wondered... if their sole motivation in sharing the gospel is to earn crowns and rewards, INSTEAD of to serve Christ (in charity-love) desiring to see souls saved because they do not wish for the unsaved to perish and spend eternity in hell, but to instead accept Christ, and spend eternity with Him... are their motivations pure?
Is it (example #3) wood, hay, stubble OR is it "gold, silver, and precious stones"?

Would anyone else here care to opine on case #3? 
(Case #3) If a believer shared the gospel with unsaved people, with their sole motivation being to earn a reward, even though the reward is heavenly, is it a selfish motivation? Would it be wood-hay-stubble or would it be gold-silver-precious stones?

• Moderators

Good questions.

I tend to look at it from the point of the fire. If all our works are cast into the fire, in the case of gold and siler, what does that do? It refines. It removes dross and pollutants and purifies the metal.  So my thought is, if we are doing the right then, though maybe not always with the right intent, those things may be gold or silver with dross, and the fire will draw out the imprities and produce a pure substance, hence a purified work before the Lord. Remember Paul said that while he was in prison:

"Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice." (Phil 1:15-18) 

So if we do the right thing, though not always with the right heart, it is still the right thing and God can work in that, and I beliee it will be counted as siler or gold, with all wrong intent drawn out by the fire.

• Members

Phil. 1:15-18

[15] Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
[16] The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
[17] But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
[18] What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. 

Being concerned about motivations is a waste of time. The most important thing is that Christ is preached.

• Members

#1 realistically is how we witness to loved ones. Few Christians will have this type of loving care to see it through all the way with strangers (all of the great commission), although they may claim this is so but it most likely is not the case. One would have to spend quality time with the lost and perhaps poor strangers to make sure they get enough Scripture for the Spirit's conviction, all the while, they may have physical needs and financial, etc.. I have only known a handful of Christians who display that level of charity.

#2 unfortunately is the most common among IFBs accustomed to reporting high numbers, when most of these supposed conversions are fake products of 4 verses out of Romans and "all you have to do is repeat this quick prayer" and you are born again see cause it says so right here. They never count seeds sown and watered in importunistic prayer; it is all about their own increases in the flesh with a crafty quick sales pitch to get a meaningless head prayer. **I know, slightly different subject but it is related because this type of activity is all about who is the better "soulwinner"; so they publicly report their "souls" saved. Of course, noone ever hears from or sees any of these "souls" saved.

#3 is not necessarily a burnt reward at all. Jesus on more than one occasion commanded us to give up all aspects of the world to earn treasure in Heaven. Set your sights on things above where rust and moth doth not corrupt, nor thieves break through to steal. The primary motivation for all of us is to follow His command to teach all things He commanded us. Not just the witness, but to beg God in prayer repeatedly for souls and get them baptized and disciple them.

If all we are doing is witnessing in the flesh, we are failing the Lord and that incomplete work is wood, hay and stubble also IMO.

Edited by wretched

• Members

Lots of good points made. It was just something I pondered this week... I cannot truly know the motivation of another person. But the Lord does. And yes, it will all go through the fire: the wood, hay, and stubble will be burned up (no reward) and the gold, silver, and precious stones will remain (reward given).  I tend to think that if the sole motivation was to earn a reward, then it would not be considered a good motivation by the Lord, but again I will leave that up to Him since He knows the hearts/minds/desires/motivation.

I also agree that Phil 1:15-18 is certainly true, it is to be rejoiced over when Christ is preached,and that God will use His word to reach the hearts and minds. (His word won't return void- Isaiah 55:11). So the glory is to God when Christ is preached (even in the case where the sole motivation was to earn a reward) we rejoice that Christ is preached. But to the individual giving the gospel to the unsaved... it still remains that his/her motivation will be revealed by fire, and "the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."   

Again, only the Lord knows what another person's motivation is. Focus on my own motivations, and to do my best to take "into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (2 Cor. 10:15) which is plenty enough to keep me busy in regard to my own motivations... and my own desire to serve Him with motivations pleasing to Him. To God be the glory when the motivations are pure because it all comes of His leading (not my own strength, as He is my strength). To God be the glory for anything I do right or pleasing to Him, because the only good thing in me (in this corruptible body) is Him, His Holy Spirit which dwells within. Without Him I would be nothing and could do nothing pleasing to Him at all. 

• Members

This, in part, speaks to our motivation:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3