• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Forum of brotherly/sisterly love

• Members

1 Thes. 4:9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

Romans 12:15-18
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Gal. 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Ephesians 4:31-32
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Romans 14:19, 1 Cor, 10:24, all of 1 Cor. 13, 1 Cor 16:14, Gal. 6:10, Eph. 4:1-6, Col 3:12-15, 1 Thes. 5:11
I'm sure there are many many more such verses. 

Just wondering... if someone "new" came here today, or yesterday, or last week, or maybe last month... and peeked in on the conversations going on in the forums. What would that person think?
Would that person think... "Oh, this looks like a wonderful place for fellowship"? 
What would the Lord think? He already knows... (Luke 12:2, et al.)

2 Tim 3 lists some attitudes and actions of people in the "last days". We really can expect to see these attitudes/actions in these perilous times, and what little time left to come (prior to God's wrath) from worldly/unsaved people. 
Lately... and not just here on this forum, but across almost ALL Bible study forums these days I wonder are these people brothers and sisters in Christ? REALLY? 
Or are these people each respectively claiming to know ALL the word of God has to teach them, and any discussion about ANY given verse (set of verses in context) with a smidgen of a thought which is contrary to their own they cry HERESY!!!!

What does the word say about this?

5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

So far, I have not yet heard anyone here say (so far thank the Lord) that Jesus has not come in the flesh!!! Now THAT would be a really good reason to not receive that person, to not allow them into your house, to not wish the God speed (travelling mercies), etc.
BUT seems like whatever the topic is here... there is a LOT of name-calling and personal derogatory remarks made towards people who are supposed to be brothers and sisters in Christ. 
Just wondering, if a person brings forth a scripture, and each person then discusses their belief/understanding of said scripture, and if all do not agree... why then is there a need for name-calling and derogatory remarks?
Does anyone think that name calling and derogatory remarks will change the other person's opinion about their stance on that verse (or set of verses)?
Do comments have to be made like this: "So little understanding of scripture", Or another claiming in a condescending tone that only their understanding of the scripture is indeed the correct one?
and remarks like "Don't you go stepping on our party yet please. I am curious what the answers are. Then you can get ganged up on"
I'm not perfect either... I've got pulled into this tug-of-war more than once with personal attacks on my physical status (but was apologized to by ONE very kind brother in Christ). And I also have snapped right back when name-calling starts.
then there are people placed on "ignore", and there is one person here I have yet to see say a kind comment to anyone!
We shouldn't be doing these kinds of things... that's what the worldly/unsaved people do! We don't want to model ourselves after them do we????

Why can't this forum be a place to DISCUSS and if we do disagree, do so in a civil, Christian fashion?
Would it not be more Christ-like to bring forth (with scripture) reasons why you do not agree (as some I've seen do on here) WITHOUT getting to the name-calling, and/or derogatory remarks?

I have come to appreciate the mods stepping in and restoring order to what seems to be a bunch of kindergartners... and I admit that I myself once made a statement to a mod which was WAY out of line! (And I now want to publicly apologize to "Ukelele MiKe" for the comment I made in regard to post-trib/pre-wrath view.

I will be honest... when I came here I TRULY thought that ALL Independent Fundamental Baptists were taught the SAME way I had been, had read and studied and come (at least close to) the same conclusions I had. WOW was I wrong!  Many others here have admitted they were rudely awakened to the fact that not ALL IFB churches teach the exact same things. I would even hazard to guess that MOST IFB churches have at least ONE teaching contrary to YOUR OWN (each of us individually). And yes, that was a hard thing to deal with right off the batt, but now that I've realized it, I still stay and attempt to fellowship with others, even though everyone else's understanding of scripture is not the exact same as my own. 

I'm sure this forum COULD be a place where every single person agrees with every single verse in scripture (likely IF there was only ONE member).
Why can't verses be discussed in a civil manner by all parties involved? 
Disagree... fine, but can't we disagree without claiming "I am in fact "right" and you are in fact "wrong"? And the name-calling, trying to associate someone with a person or group with whom they are not affiliated (and in some cases never even HEARD of... I was called a name once and had to look up what/who the reference even was). 
I don't think ANY hearts and minds will be convinced of anything that way...

Let me let you in on a little secret... there are people who come here, and plenty of IFB even, and NEVER post. WHY? Because they fear beig torn to shreds by whom? By supposed Christian brothers and sisters!!!
They don't leave here edified, they leave here quickly as possible to try to find another place to fellowship with other brothers/sisters who are a bit more mature in their actions and attitudes, a bit more brotherly/sisterly.

Just something to think about. I'm sure it won't matter what I say anyways... as there are some who already deem themselves far superior in knowledge to me and have deemed me _______ (fill in the blank, I could find plenty of names which have already been called here).

One last piece of advice... even if you are 100% sure that EVERYTHING you believe and say is true about every verse in the Bible, you sure aren't going to be able to teach anyone your "perfect" belief by calling them names, ridiculing them, and making derogatory remarks to them. Think about it... who is the last person on earth you would want to take advice from? Someone who patiently explains their point of view to you, or someone who calls you names because you don't agree with their point of view? 

• Members

It is not unkind nor is it unloving to reprove, rebuke and exhort someone with scripture.  In fact, just the opposite is true.

As for me, I do not consider an unrepentant sinner or saint my brother or sister.  As for me, I do not consider those promoting another gospel, another Jesus, to be my brother or sister either.

• Members
9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

It is not unkind nor is it unloving to reprove, rebuke and exhort someone with scripture.  In fact, just the opposite is true.

As for me, I do not consider an unrepentant sinner or saint my brother or sister.  As for me, I do not consider those promoting another gospel, another Jesus, to be my brother or sister either.

No Swath, she is right. Read the context of this: 2Ti 2:24 and then read the context of this: Tit 3:10.

If you really think someone is a heretic, give them the proper Scriptures in context twice, if still nothing then stop arguing. And if you really think they are unsaved, we do not justice to the Gospel by calling them names. The real problem is that few on here have any clue what the Scriptural definition of a heretic is. The name calling has nothing to do with our contending for the faith. It is all about pride and egos.

I know, easy to say and hard to do but following the Lord is the hardest thing any flesh can attempt. Now if we are walking in the Spirit, however, the Scriptures I just gave will not be hard to follow.

• Members

No, I'll stand by my earlier statement.  It is loving and not unkind to, “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” 2 Timothy 4:2

That being said Wretched, you applied 2 Timothy 2:24 to my statement which references 2 Timothy 4:2.  One is not right and the other wrong, both are correct.  Just as it was not unkind or unloving for Christ to clear the temple in the manner in which he did, it is not unkind to deal directly with things contrary to the scriptures.

• Members
7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

No, I'll stand by my earlier statement.  It is loving and not unkind to, “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.” 2 Timothy 4:2

That being said Wretched, you applied 2 Timothy 2:24 to my statement which references 2 Timothy 4:2.  One is not right and the other wrong, both are correct.  Just as it was not unkind or unloving for Christ to clear the temple in the manner in which he did, it is not unkind to deal directly with things contrary to the scriptures.

I understand why you can't distinguish the difference Swath.

Edited by wretched

• Members

Maybe so.  I always rejected the thinking of putting form before function.  I know quite a few foolish people who will continue in sin, double down even, because they did not like how a person addressed their sin even though it was done biblically.  This is not to say that being mean or condescending is ok, it is not.  Someone expressing anger over sin however is not being unloving with a brother or sister in Christ.  Maybe not.  

• Members

Hear, hear.

This made my heart happy.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, Invicta said:

Bother Scott

I used to think that, but now I don't

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:16 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother David,

I understand, and thank you for the gracious conversation.

• Members

I agree, brother "MC". We (including me) could very well make an effort to at least be civil towards one another.  If a person counts another person(s) as a brother or sister in Christ, shouldn't we follow such verses as Romans 14:19 in our conversations: "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another." (and other like verses)

Should a disagreement arise (as is OFTEN the case here) and if the person counts the other person(s) as a brother or sister in Christ, shouldn't a person try to follow verses such as these?: 2 Timothy 2:24 "And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth"  or  2 Thes. 3:15 "Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother." (among other like verses)  

But if a person TRULY BELIEVES that another person(s) is NOT a brother or sister in Christ...First, it leads to assuming to know what only God knows (whether or not the other person is in fact saved),that's a pretty lofty evaluation for a human to make. Second.. why continue to deride the other person(s)? Does the word (anywhere) say to call another person names, make derogatory comments, snide condescending remarks, bully and belittle another person? ANYWHERE in God's word? Doesn't the word say to reject that person? Titus 3:10 "A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject". Why would they even keep talking to (or at) the other person if they HONESTLY believed the other person to be an heretic? Does the word say to continuously hound anyone they consider to be an heretic? Nope, it says after the first and SECOND admonition reject.  After the 2nd admonition it is merely feeding the flesh to continuously make slanderous, name-calling, derogatory remarks towards another person (whether that person is or isn't a brother or sister). So reject the person... if one truly believes that the other person is not a brother/sister and is truly a heretick, the word doesn't say to continue on feeding the fleshy desire to act as the world does, but it instead says to reject an heretic.  Wouldn't reject mean to ignore/disregard/have nothing to do with that person? If one truly wants to bring forth scripture to answer the other person, why add worldly name-calling and derogatory comments to the mix? Why add condescending snide remarks to the word of God? God never tells us to do that... ever!

There are people who come here looking for fellowship with other believers. Some people never make a peep while they are here, they merely read what other members have typed.  And many have run off not wanting anything to do with fellowship with members here after reading how they treat each other. There are even some (newer Christians) looking for a good church to attend. Would you think they would hang around long after reading some of the statements people make back and forth to each other here? They likely won't hang around long enough to ask other members about their local churches... they don't want to risk being picked apart personally for having asked a question. I've seen some new members come here and after a few "welcome" statements, they are then drilled about when they got saved, were they baptized, are they a member of a church, etc. Why not let the person get comfortable first before drilling them on their life circumstances? Let them share as they feel so led to share.  I know of one personally who came here for that very reason... he had just moved to a different area of the US and was looking for an IFB church to attend in his area. But he said he was not going to bother asking around here... he said people are "hostile" in this forum (his very words). He even thought about changing denominations because he said he hoped not ALL independent fundamental Baptists acted like "these people"!!! That is NOT a good testimony to Christ!  I also know at least three sisters in Christ,  who have been members on this site for MANY years, yet rarely post anything because of the same hostile environment here. Is that something we should be proud of? 

So if a person doesn't agree with what another person says... feel free to answer, but please answer the other person in a kindly manner. Bring forth scripture often!! That answers some best. But there's no excuse to be rude to others. EVEN IF you don't even consider them a brother or sister in Christ!... there's no excuse for snide condescending remarks (even if you think you are far superior in intelligence and understanding), there's no reason to make those kinds of arrogant haughty remarks unless you are simply feeding the flesh.  No-one has to make snarky remarks to get their point across. It's bad enough when worldly people do it (it's almost expected in worldly/unsaved people). But I don't think it shows a Christian attitude at all. No one should ever feel BULLIED into agreeing with another person. That's not true teaching and it sure isn't true learning either.  So if you don't like a comment or a post someone else made... what happens if you chose to ignore it? If everyone ignores it, the post fades away pretty quick. If you disagree and feel compelled to answer, why not use scripture? If you also feel compelled to make comments along with scripture, there's no reason to get nasty. Nobody is going to change anyone else's mind by being mean-spirited. Reproving, rebuking, and exhorting doesn't mean to slander, call names, insult, disrespect, and be flat out vile. If you really want to help the other person see your point of view, can't you do so without nasty and/or disdainful remarks? Even if you claim to be reproving.rebuking, and exhorting... there is a difference between those and cruel intent. And again, if someone feels that another person TRULY is not a brother/sister and you feel that person TRULY is an heretic, the Bible says reject them after the 2nd admonition. Reject NOT deride.

In sisterly love to all who are brothers and sisters in Christ here. 

Ronda

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:06 PM, Ronda said:

5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

So far, I have not yet heard anyone here say (so far thank the Lord) that Jesus has not come in the flesh!!! Now THAT would be a really good reason to not receive that person, to not allow them into your house, to not wish the God speed (travelling mercies), etc.

In addition, we must also consider the following:

Galatians 1:6-9 -- "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of ChristBut though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.  As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Note #1 -- Would some view it as unkind and unloving if we refused to allow someone entrance into our house and even refused to bid them to have a good day?  Would some view it as unkind and unloving if we publicly indicated that someone was accursed?  Would it actually be Biblically unkind and unloving to do these things in obedience unto 2 John 1:10-11 & Galatians 1:6-9.

Note #2 -- Have there been any members on this forum who have lately been teaching the doctrine that there is more than one gospel?

• Members
5 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Galatians 1:6-9 -- "I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of ChristBut though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.  As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed."

Note #1 -- Would some view it as unkind and unloving if we refused to allow someone entrance into our house and even refused to bid them to have a good day?  Would some view it as unkind and unloving if we publicly indicated that someone was accursed?  Would it actually be Biblically unkind and unloving to do these things in obedience unto 2 John 1:10-11 & Galatians 1:6-9.

Note #2 -- Have there been any members on this forum who have lately been teaching the doctrine that there is more than one gospel?

Yes, sir.

• Members

GALATIANS 1

v.6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Verse 6 makes it clear that the grace of Christ (grace by faith/belief in Jesus Christ) is the very gospel that he was warning people NOT to be "so soon removed from"
This same gospel of grace Paul spoke of (along with the brethren with him Galatians 1:1-2)
Is the very same gospel I promote. Grace by faith in Jeus Christ alone without works!

V.1-2 tells us plainly who the "WE" were spoken of in v.8
1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia:

It is very clear that Paul and the brethren with him were the ones teaching the Galatians.
I have heard many sermons TRY TO tie in Peter, James, and the others in the "WE", but Paul makes it plain (no matter how others attempt to twist it) that he did NOT receive the gospel from Peter, James, and the others.
He clarifies it further in the same chapter (v.12), stating he (Paul) had not received it of man, neither was he taught it (of man), but by revelation of Jesus Christ.
He makes it clear that he did not confer with mankind (v.16), he did not go up to Jerusalem to those who were prior apostles before he was (v.18) until later when he went to visit with Peter for 15 days only (v.18) and that the only other apostles he even saw was James, the brother of Jesus (v.19)
Making certain that he did not receive the gospel message from the other apostles but from direct revelation from Jesus Himself (v.12)
I believe he meant exactly what he said.

Why WOULD he go to such great lengths to tell them (and us) how he had NOT received the gospel of grace from Peter, James, and the others?

v.11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
v.12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

He goes out of his way to show them (and us) that he did NOT receive the gospel from mankind... Specifically not from Peter nor James, nor the others in Jerusalem.
WHY the NEED to do THAT??? 

17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

Take heed who you call accursed... I only promote the gospel of grace by faith/belief in Jesus, the same gospel Paul taught, and make sure to state that NO WORKS can be added in to save a person.
That is the gospel I give to the unsaved... I do not use Peter's message (Acts 2:38), I do not use James' message (James 2:24), because I do not believe that works justify, nor do I believe that a person must be water baptized to be saved. And I do believe (as stated prior) that these are contrary to what Paul was teaching.

You say  it's not "unkind and unloving if we publicly indicated that someone was accursed"
And so then I say to you as kindly and with as much compassion as I can... take heed who you (yourself) call accursed, as you, yourself may fall into the category of teaching a different gospel than what Paul himself was teaching and giving warning about.
Paul is the one who made the statements above (in reference to whom was accursed), and Paul was the one to make it abundantly clear that he did NOT receive the gospel from mankind (and also made it abundantly clear that excluded Peter,James, and the others from having taught him the gospel).

I am NOT the one teaching that what Paul taught was the same thing as what Peter, James, and the others taught.
I am NOT the one that Romans 3:28 is the same as James 2:24 
I am NOT the one teaching that Ephesians 2:8-9 is the same as Acts 2:38
and numerous other such teachings.

Paul gave us warnings about others who would promote a gospel contrary to what he taught, contrary to what was directly revealed to him by Jesus.

Paul wrote:
Titus 3:10 "A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;"
11 "Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself."

Paul wrote:
1 Cor. 14:37 "If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."
38 "But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant."

Paul wrote:
Gal. 1:8 "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."
making SURE we knew he received it NOT from others:
v.12 "For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

I don't need to say anyone is accursed (even if I think what they are promoting is a gospel which mixes the works of water baptism in with grace and is contrary to what Paul taught),
I don't need to say they are an heretic (even if I believe they are one and are teaching things contrary to what Paul taught),
I don't need to call anyone ignorant (even if I believe they are unknowing and not understanding that they are teaching things contrary to what Paul taught).
Pauls' word in the Bible does it for me.
Pauls' words in scripture are the words which clearly state these things. A person can either read them in context and understand that Paul's teaching on grace without works which was revealed to him by Jesus is what we are to be teaching as well, and that if we are not, we are in danger of being accursed, being an heretic, and/or being ignorant (Paul's words).

And if you've noticed, I brought this up one time, possibly twice... in love, in an effort to share these truths. 
But once given at least once, and sometimes twice, I am not going to ram it down anyone's throat. I don't continuously bring it up, unless I am again directly accused of something wherein the accusation needs to be corrected with scripture. Such as this very post. 
And again I will conclude by stating in charity (love) and admonition (without name calling, hostility, snide remarks, etc.)... take heed who you call accursed. I am not the one promoting a gospel which is different than what Paul taught and to which Paul was directly referring to throughout all of those verses in warning.

I didn't start this thread to expound on the gospel of grace. I am not the one who steered it in this direction. But I also will not sit back while being accused of being accursed from someone who may well be teaching something different than what Paul was teaching and referring to in his statement. I  started this thread originally to show that there are truly many people coming here, and NOT staying, or coming here and NOT posting because of the hostility. I understand their reasoning for not posting and/or leaving.
Some see the difference between reproving, rebuking, and exhorting compared with cruel intentions of bullying, snide remarks, and name calling.
Apparently some don't see the difference, and are content to have this forum known as a hostile place where name calling and snide remarks are commonplace. If you are all fine with that, so be it... join the ranks with the rest of the world... it's not different than many other forums in that respect. I highly doubt that many souls will be won to Christ by name-calling and hostility. I also doubt that anyone will stay long enough to ask another person about local churches if they are looking to find one... But maybe neither of those things (sharing the gospel of grace with the unsaved and/or directing others to a good local church) are a priority here? If they were, maybe name calling, snide remarks, and personal attacks wouldn't be so commonplace here.

I wonder... that man who was looking for a church to attend, the man who had just moved to a new area coming to the forum specifically to ask members about local church, he was but then leaving before asking for fear of hostility if he posted anything... fear he would be picked apart because he wasn't currently attending an IFB church (how could he since he had just moved and was looking for one)... I wonder if he ever found a forum to even feel comfortable enough to even ask the question. I HOPE it wasn't some charismatic forum that welcomed him. I HOPE he doesn't think that ALL IFB churches are as hostile as this forum. He said it was too hostile here to even ask!!!  And I also wonder, those ladies who are members here, and have been members here for many years... how much they long for fellowship and edification, and yet they don't post anything also because of the hostility here... I wonder if that's something to be proud of? And once again, the topic gets steered in a different direction. So I guess those things don't need to be dealt with? At least not by ME bringing them up.

• Members

Interesting.

In the original post of this thread, there was a section which indicated, based upon a specific portion of Scripture (2 John 1:10-11), that there WOULD be at least one doctrinal realm wherein a firm confrontation might be appropriate.  That portion of the original post was as follows:

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:06 PM, Ronda said:

Even so, in my posting above I indicated, based upon another portion of Scripture (Galatians 1:6-9), that there was another doctrinal realm wherein a firm confrontation might seem to be appropriate.  My posting was as follows:

9 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

In this posting I quoted a portion of Scripture, and I asked a series of questions.  I made NO accusations.  I specified NO person's name.  I made NO snide remarks.  I employed NO "name-calling." 

Yet that posting, containing ONLY a portion of Scripture and series of questions, seems to have created offense and to have moved someone to feel that I was being unkind and unloving.

I say again - Interesting.