• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Neither Wine nor Strong Drink

• Members

“For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15)

Whether or not the Bible clearly commands total abstinence from alcohol for Christians, it is increasingly being recognized that alcohol is the most widely abused and dangerous dr... More...Nc4B3dx1Hhw

View the full article

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Straining out gnats here I think.

What does the Bible say about 'preachers' and 'deacons' when it comes to wine?

"Not given to wine" and "not given to much wine".

Sounds like they could have wine to drink to me. Just not in excess - like it says in Ephesians 5:18 - "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess".

Excess is drunkenness. 

Oh, and as for it being 'new wine', why would it be a concern if it were 'grape juice'?

Besides the fact that Paul told Timothy to "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

Thanks.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

So you comment without even reading the article????

I assume that is the case from the irrelevance of your comments to the actual article.

Folks, ignore GP and read the article before responding to him.

Better yet, just ignore him and respond to the article and don't get drawn into his muck.

• Members

Henry Morris was wrong and his article creates doubt about God's Word and does not increase one's faith in God's Word.

When one puts all of the verses on drinking booze together, in their proper context, it is quite obvious that drinking booze is verboten.  There are plenty of verses however that give commands not to drink booze and many examples of the lives ruined, wrecked testimonies and lost service due to booze.

Was Morris a "sipping saint"?  I thought he was a Church of Christ believer?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

The only people in the scripture, as far as I can see, who are forbidden to drink alcohol are Nazarites.  Some say Christians are Nazarites, do you agree?

Keep reading...

1 hour ago, MountainChristian said:

Another rock-n-roll pastor falls from grace.  Well, maybe he'll get saved now that he's away from that un-scriptural mega-church.  One "church" in 17 cities?  The board fired him and let the members know later?  Such proves this "church" was not the kind that Jesus Christ built and died for during his earthly ministry.  The whole thing built on sinking sand.  Sad.

• Members
1 hour ago, MountainChristian said:

I am guessing there is allot more to this story than that church board wants us to know.

Drinking is advocated in these mega social clubs so a drinking issue is hardly this guy's issue with them. They just don't want the truth out which I suspect is far more egregious even for this group. Had it been just drinking they would be overly accommodating to get this guy rehab and to show "mercy", It is a bait and switch with cover up as the objective. What they are covering up only time will tell, but it will come out sooner or later.

• Moderators
On 7/10/2016 at 4:43 PM, Invicta said:

The only people in the scripture, as far as I can see, who are forbidden to drink alcohol are Nazarites.  Some say Christians are Nazarites, do you agree?

NO Christians aren't Nazarites, however, we ARE priests, and according to the Lord, priests were forbidden to drink while in their duties as priests, because alcohol and strong drink would pervert judgment. And since we are always on duty, in season and out of season, we should find that same prohibition for the same reason. Alcohol still perverts judgment, so being NT priests, we need to remain sober and ready at all times to preach the gospel.