• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fouled with their feet

• Members

Nice flat pasture!  I grew up on a farm... we had horses and cows in the pasture.  I much preferred mucking out the horse side of the barn, than the cattle side... those cows were a stinky mess! The pasture was a huge hillside with few level spots, and the barn had a loft to pitchfork the hay down in winter-time.  I hated putting up hay, and I admit I didn't do anywhere near the hard work the men did... but the work I did do sure gave me an appreciation for hard work in comparison with other jobs later on in life.  Many of the younger people in the job force today have no idea of what hard work really is (and how good they have it at fast-food job or retail, in comparison). There is a lot of hard work involved with a farm, but oh so rewarding. Not just the livestock (and butchering our own beef back in the day, knowing exactly what they ate, and of course also being steroid/hormone free), but also the huge garden we had. Lots of canning involved (and the prep work for that) every summer into fall. But the food was much better than what you buy at the store.  You also knew it was pesticide free and that it wasn't watered with sewer water (like some of those countries do which supply national chains here in the US).. Dad was always a big "heirloom" garden fan, so most of our garden didn't have hybrid seed, and we could save seed from year to year. Sometime he did buy hybrid corn seed (kernels) because they did produce a much sweeter corn than bantam (or the other heirloom varieties).  I miss having a garden, even though later on in life, our garden in town was smaller, it was still a good size on a nice level plot with rich dark soil.  That's one of the things I miss most since I've been disabled...gardening.  And black raspberry picking.  You can't buy black raspberry jam anywhere near good as the jam I used to can myself (if I do say so myself, lol). Even the Amish around here don't make it like we used to, there's is mostly sugar and cornstarch. Mine was loaded with fruit (and I liked the seeds in it). 

I've rambled on again (as usual). But your pictures brought up lots of fond memories. Enjoy your rewarding work.

• Members

Heartstings,

Thank you very much for the thoughts on Ezekiel 34:17-19 and for the fine photos. I always enjoy viewing the photos of your farm and animals. :goodpost:Haven't seen video of your singing for awhile. I do  miss your family singing.

Ronda,

We honestly do not mind your ramblings. So, ramble on!  :thumb:

Edited by Alan
spelling

• Members

Thank you brother Alan. We don't play much music lately.   I turned down our last bluegrass gig offer because, since my two sons have left home, I am the only one in the house who plays. Can't play bluegrass with one instrument. :) I was asked to play background music for our pastor's scripture reading at Christmas service, so I played a fingerstyle arpeggio of "Little Town of Bethlehem" and don't think I have picked it up since. Will have to get back into it. I have written several songs which I would like to have recorded. But I've been busy with other things. The sheep keep us busy, sometimes all day Saturday, so we don't have time to go to any open mics or jams anymore. I miss that.

• Members

The kids are good; I had breakfast this morning with my 2yo grand daughter on my lap.; she licked most of the blueberry jelly off papa's toast then went for my grits and eggs. :) . We are finally being allowed to build a decent relationship with them whereas that wasn't possible before.

• Members

With the feed, they get up on the trough, so they need one with a low "roof" or something so they can only stick their head in. About 70' of trough is requitred for that many sheep, so it takes time and money but we'll get that done eventually. Concerning the hay, they pull it out of the feeder and drop it on the ground looking for the few peanuts, once the hay is dropped on the ground and stepped on, they don't want it. The only way to stop them from doing that would be to lock their heads in a device to keep them from pulling their heads out while the eat. That wouldn't be practical. I also thought about buying a hammermill, grinding up the hay but your're talking about grinding up 500 or 600 lbs of hay per feeding. Then I don't know if it would work. The best method is to feed them on strictly grass, but mine have eaten the available grass to the ground at present time. Even winter grasses grow very slowly in cold weather. Can't wait for summer to get here.

• Members

My Dad being a cattleman, I've been involved with animal husbandry for most of my life. . From chickens, to pigs, cattle, horses, goats, and now sheep we were always into it heavily. We even tried rabbits, quail, guineas and turkeys for awhile.  It's always difficult, so I guess one has to like it.

• Members
4 hours ago, heartstrings said:

My Dad being a cattleman, I've been involved with animal husbandry for most of my life. . From chickens, to pigs, cattle, horses, goats, and now sheep we were always into it heavily. We even tried rabbits, quail, guineas and turkeys for awhile.  It's always difficult, so I guess one has to like it.

Heartstings,

Very, very profound wisdom. What you said is true in every walk of life and will determine whether or not a person succeeds in his work, his family or in church.

:th_tiphat:My hat's off to you. Song of Solomon 8:7

Alan