• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gehazi was healed and restored?

• 1 year later...
Guest K Wat

The reason that Gahazi could have been fully restored is because he stood before the King and gave a report! Scripture needs to be also put into context. Not only word for word as many translations have occurred since the original Hebrew writings. The context of the day was that lepers could not stand or even enter the presence of the King if they had leprosy. For Gehazi to be able to stand before the King and give an account of Elisha, he would have needed to be clean! There is no way he could have stood before the King and give an account with leprosy. Even though the scripture does not state it, it is most likely Gehazi was healed.

• Members

Nothing like guessing - and making up some “laws” to fit your presuppositions.

Just reading the original posted article and all kinds of red flags popped up! Sounds like the author (Tony Evans) is someone all true believers should stay away from! There is poison in that pen! Positive thinking is heresy and Bible-twisting at its best (and downright demonic at its worst)!

To quote the author, “you are setting yourself up” for failure if you follow his positive thinking “twist” on the Scriptures. Best way to have success in your Christian walk is to obey Joshua 1:8.

Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Edited by Jerry

Guest WillLoginLater
On 1/21/2016 at 10:10 AM, heartstrings said:

God can reverse every downturn in your life—including the financial, physical, emotional, and spiritual—when you follow Him and His Word.

To me this looks like,  as an isolated statement,  a false premise that gives the false gospel(s) reason(s) to be followed and not to be worried.  It may be one of the main reasons people sin continually, repeatedly, without repenting,  without even seeking to follow Jesus or to seek God's Kingdom.  If this would be better as another thread,  cool.  God Willing,  I'll get back to this when I have time, if anyone's interested .

• Members
23 minutes ago, Guest WillLoginLater said:

To me this looks like,  as an isolated statement,  a false premise that gives the false gospel(s) reason(s) to be followed and not to be worried.  It may be one of the main reasons people sin continually, repeatedly, without repenting,  without even seeking to follow Jesus or to seek God's Kingdom.  If this would be better as another thread,  cool.  God Willing,  I'll get back to this when I have time, if anyone's interested .

No sir, "Heartstrings" did not say what you quoted above; That is a direct quote from Tony Evans.

• Members
10 hours ago, Jerry said:

Nothing like guessing - and making up some “laws” to fit your presuppositions.

Just reading the original posted article and all kinds of red flags popped up! Sounds like the author (Tony Evans) is someone all true believers should stay away from! There is poison in that pen! Positive thinking is heresy and Bible-twisting at its best (and downright demonic at its worst)!

To quote the author, “you are setting yourself up” for failure if you follow his positive thinking “twist” on the Scriptures. Best way to have success in your Christian walk is to obey Joshua 1:8.

Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

I once had a pastor for many years, IFB, a "Dr". He had salvation nailed down right, as well as all of the basic fundamentals of the faith. If I mentioned his name, someone reading this might know him and many of his IFB preacher friends would be ready to tar and feather me,  but he would teach some pretty 'twisted" stuff. One was that when Noah cursed Canaan, it was for committing a "homosexual act" and it destined Black people to be slaves. I would interject that it was Ham who was the father of the Black race and Canaan was the father of Phoenicians/Canaanites. Be that as it may, a little more "positive thinking" could have helped in his interpretation here, which really amounted to a "supposition" and a pretty serious error, but I would hardly call it "heretical" in this case..

Concerning Tony Evans, I'm not going to say whether or not his interpretation here is correct but, I'm still open to the possibility because, you see, as with Brother Noah, who after lying naked and drunk, cursed his own grandson for something the poor kid didn't even do(can you say that Noah wasn't "walking with God" and being a "just man" at this point?), likewise it was Elijah, not God, who cursed Gehazi (and his children). And, as the brother above pointed out, Gehazi did stand before the King of Judah. So, I'm open to the possibility.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
8 hours ago, SureWord said:

My question is why punish Gehazi's seed forever? How does that fit in with Ezekiel 18:20?

Also, wouldn't that mean that there is still a family of Jewish lepers today; descendants of Gehazi?

• Members

I’m not saying his point on Gehazi was false teaching. I am saying that based on his wording and the terms used that he is definitely teaching “positive thinking” - which is the false teaching I meant. Anyone that teaches what you think leads to what happens to you is wrong (ie. if I believe or say something negative, you are setting yourself up for failure, and vice versa).

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused in my post.

• Members
9 hours ago, heartstrings said:

No sir, "Heartstrings" did not say what you quoted above; That is a direct quote from Tony Evans.

I went back to see what you were referring to.

It looks like the "isolated statement" is found in your own post, yes quote of someone else,  and yet you appear to use it to bolster some point ,  but what would your own point be then ?   Is it "from failure to success" ?     If not,  then please clarify , thanks.

Below is a copy/paste from your opening post:

"I know there were four lepers(which were not named) which found the abandoned Syrian camp and reported it to the king and I had questioned before that Gehazi was mentioned in 2 Kings 8, seemingly after he was made a leper. But I never heard this one before.......

What say you?

From Failure to Success

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth … so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." (Joshua 1:8)

God can reverse every downturn in your life—including the financial, physical, emotional, and spiritual—when you follow Him and His Word." "

• Members
15 hours ago, SureWord said:

My question is why punish Gehazi's seed forever? How does that fit in with Ezekiel 18:20?

Ezekiel 18:20 is about each person's sin actions during the time of their nation's destruction. Gehazi's punishment was a physical condition past down to his descendants. While things we do can affect those in this life God will judge our souls based on things we personally decide to do and not on what our parents decide. 

6 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Also, wouldn't that mean that there is still a family of Jewish lepers today; descendants of Gehazi?

For ever is referring to the leprosery and not to the descendants. It doesn't mean for all eternity he'll have descendants. For all we know he decided not to have anymore descendants. Additionally we know leprosery won't extend into eternity and so it only refers to only as long as they have their natural bodies.

2 Kings 5:27 The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.

• Members
9 hours ago, John Young said:

Ezekiel 18:20 is about each person's sin actions during the time of their nation's destruction. Gehazi's punishment was a physical condition past down to his descendants. While things we do can affect those in this life God will judge our souls based on things we personally decide to do and not on what our parents decide. 

For ever is referring to the leprosery and not to the descendants. It doesn't mean for all eternity he'll have descendants. For all we know he decided not to have anymore descendants. Additionally we know leprosery won't extend into eternity and so it only refers to only as long as they have their natural bodies.

2 Kings 5:27 The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.

Gehazi's seed still suffered because of his sin so in essence they were punished because of what he did. There's no getting around it.

I think there was something else going on here. A "dispensation", so to speak, where if you do something evil in the name of a prophet. That's the exception to Ezekiel 18:20. Kind of like the "unpardonable sin" was the exception to God forgiving every sin.

I agree with your answer to "heartstrings" for ever" can mean as long as he had children.

• Members
15 hours ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

I went back to see what you were referring to.

It looks like the "isolated statement" is found in your own post, yes quote of someone else,  and yet you appear to use it to bolster some point ,  but what would your own point be then ?   Is it "from failure to success" ?     If not,  then please clarify , thanks.

Below is a copy/paste from your opening post:

"I know there were four lepers(which were not named) which found the abandoned Syrian camp and reported it to the king and I had questioned before that Gehazi was mentioned in 2 Kings 8, seemingly after he was made a leper. But I never heard this one before.......

What say you?

From Failure to Success

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth … so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." (Joshua 1:8)

God can reverse every downturn in your life—including the financial, physical, emotional, and spiritual—when you follow Him and His Word." "

Once again, "Heartstrings" did not say this. Merely posted a quote from Tony Evans for others to see and discuss. Any point/s I might have made are in my posts in this thread and I don't care to rehash it anymore. have a blessed day brother.

image000000 - 2021-05-08T112815.750.jpg

• Members
2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Once again, "Heartstrings" did not say this. Merely posted a quote from Tony Evans for others to see and discuss. Any point/s I might have made are in my posts in this thread and I don't care to rehash it anymore.

I think several posters now,  at least two,  have shown that starting with a false premise is not something to build on.

i.e. Starting with a false premise is not something for believers to "see and discuss", is it? 

It seems to me and some others, apparently, that it is like building on quicksand,  and nothing good results except for bringing all that to the light of Scripture accordingly.

i.e. exposing, not discussing, a false idea.

Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus
clarity