• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Forum Bible Study On 2 & 3 John

• Members
1 hour ago, Alan said:

But, as John proceeds in these two epistles, it excludes those who rejected the doctrinal truths contained in the scriptures; i.e., the deceivers, verse 7-11. The deceivers and their beliefs are considered, "evil deeds." And, John further extends this warning to add one person in particular, Diotrephes, in 2 John 9.

A point here which I do believe is important. This came up in another thread where I mentioned how I appreciate pastors (and others) who, when giving a warning about a preacher or ministry, name the offender. We see this exampled here, as well as elsewhere in Scripture.

John gives specific warning of Diotrphes in 3 John. Thus the readers of the original letter knew exactly who John was speaking of and knew specifically who to be wary of. This should prompt us to be specific as well in order to best warn others.

Too many today will say we need to be careful of a preacher or ministry that's teaching or doing wrong but then they won't say the name of the preacher or ministry. How is that a real or beneficial warning?

(Excellent study!)

• Members
On ‎2016‎年‎3‎月‎4‎日 at 3:03 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet the adjective “elect” in 2 John 1:1 also moves us to consider the responsibilities of election for the believing lady and for all believers.  What are the responsibilities of being an “elect” individual?

I appreciate you bringing the responibilities of being part of the the elect of God. As with the nation of Israel, with the blessings of God, the responsibilities of those blessings followed.

Our salvation was freely given to us and at the moment of salvation we were grafted into, and became a part of, the elect of God. "And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree." Romans 11:17

As with the elect sons of Jacob, along with this 'grafting' comes the responsibilities that you mentioned. These are wonderful, and glorious, responsibilities. The Apostle Paul accepted, and out of a heart of gratitude, accepted these responsibilities. In fact, Paul thought it was a wondrful privilege to accept these responsibilities. The Apostle Paul joyfuly took up his cross and followed the Lord Jesus.

"And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry." 1 Timothy 1:12

Edited by Alan
replaced a period with a comma spelling

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Concerning the Relationship of Eternal Security – “The elect lady.”
(Part 2)

Yet the adjective “elect” in 2 John 1:1 also moves us to consider the responsibilities of election for the believing lady and for all believers.  What are the responsibilities of being an “elect” individual?

1.  The Responsibility to Bear Fruit

John 15:16 – “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.”

2.  The Responsibility to Pray Faithfully

Luke 18:7-8 – “And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?  I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?” (See Luke 18:1-6)

3.  The Responsibility to Mortify Fleshliness

Colossians 3:5-11 – “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: for which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: in the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.  But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.  Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; and have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.” (See Colossians 3:12)

4.  The Responsibility to Be Spirit-Filled

Colossians 3:12-17 – “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”

5.  The Responsibility to Endure Hardness

2 Timothy 2:3-4 – “Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

6.  The Responsibility to Be Unentangled

2 Timothy 2:4 – “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

7.  The Responsibility to Please Christ

2 Timothy 2:4 – “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”

8.  The Responsibility to Serve Obediently

1 Peter 1:2 – “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.” (See Hebrews 9:14; 10:22)

9.  The Responsibility to Grow Spiritually

2 Peter 1:5-11 – “And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.  For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.”

10.  The Responsibility to Glorify God

1 Peter 2:9 – “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.”

The word points out my failures. I'm a wretch. I often fail in my responsibilities to Jesus.

• Members
9 minutes ago, MountainChristian said:

The word points out my failures. I'm a wretch. I often fail in my responsibilities to Jesus.

The apostle Paul's testimony under inspiration of the Holy Spirit in Romans 7:24-25 --

"O wretched man that I am!  Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.  So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

• Members

Elect to Be Like Jesus (Conformed to His Image)

Using again: Romans 8:29 - "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."

In Contrast to: Romans 12:2 - "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

• Members
7 minutes ago, Musician4God1611 said:

Using again: Romans 8:29 - "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."

In Contrast to: Romans 12:2 - "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Consider also: 2 Corinthians 3:18 - "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."

• Members
6 hours ago, Musician4God1611 said:

6 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Consider also: 2 Corinthians 3:18 - "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

So here we see that, to be conformed to his image as we were predestined to be, we are to not be conformed to the world, we are to behold the glory of the Lord (it won't happen without seeking him), and it is by the Spirit of the Lord.

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, Musician4God1611 said:

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:19 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Consider also: 2 Corinthians 3:18 - "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord."

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:42 PM, Musician4God1611 said:

So here we see that, to be conformed to his image as we were predestined to be, we are to not be conformed to the world, we are to behold the glory of the Lord (it won't happen without seeking him), and it is by the Spirit of the Lord.

Consider also: 1 John 3:2 - "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is."

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

To all, sorry.  The study has not "died," but time has been restricted by circumstantial problems for our church of late.

Another installment, that on "The Relationship of Successful Parenting," is forthcoming (as soon as time will permit me to type it out).

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:07 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

To all, sorry.  The study has not "died," but time has been restricted by circumstantial problems for our church of late.

Another installment, that on "The Relationship of Successful Parenting," is forthcoming (as soon as time will permit me to type it out).

I understand Bro. Markle, I too am dealing with a situation in our church, and was at a out of town meeting for a week.

I did want to say thank you for this study, it has been a blessing thus far.

• Members
On 2/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

It is now time in our Bible study to set our focus upon the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John.

As we begin, we find that 2 John is written in the common pattern of that day, including the salutation (2 John 1:1-3), the message (2 John 1:4-11), and the conclusion (2 John 1:12-13).  Then as we narrow our focus further, we find that the opening salutation is also written in the common pattern of that time, including the author, the recipients, and the greeting.  Yet we also find that the apostle John provided a more expanded presentation concerning the recipients.  However, even before we set our focus upon this expanded presentation, we take notice of the opening line itself -- "The elder unto the elect lady and her children."  With this line we are moved to consider the relationships unto which we are introduced by the opening salutation.  I myself would present these relationships as follows:

1.  The Relationship of Spiritual Respect -- "The elder"

2.  The Relationship of Eternal Security -- "The elect lady"

3.  The Relationship of Successful Parenting -- "And her children" (See also 2 John 1:4)

4.  The Relationship of Godly Love -- "Whom I love in the truth"

5.  The Relationship of Christian Unity -- "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

6.  The Relationship of Righteous Testimony -- "For the truth's sake"

7.  The Relationship of Divine Indwelling -- "Which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"

First, with this in mind I would present the next set of Bible study questions:

2.  What edification and exhorational thoughts would you share concerning these relationships?

Concerning the Relationship of Successful Parenting – "And her children"

The apostle John was inspired by God the Holy Spirit to write this epistle, not only unto “the elect lady,” but also unto “her children.”  Since the elect lady’s husband is not mentioned at all throughout the epistle, yet her children are mentioned, we conjecture that that “the elect lady” had been widowed.  Furthermore, from the tone and manner in which the epistle is written, we conjecture that the elect lady’s children had entered adulthood.  Finally, we learn from verse 4 that as adults these children of “the elect lady” walked obediently and faithfully in the truth and righteousness of God’s Word.  Even so, this reference and reality concerning the elect lady’s children presents a relationship of successful parenting.

1.  The Definition of Successful Parenting – Children who walk in God’s truth as adults.

2 John 1:4 – “I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.”

2.  The Foundation for Successful Parenting – Parents who love the Lord as their heart’s first priority and who love God’s Word as their heart’s governing principle.

Deuteronomy 6:4-6 – “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: and thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.  And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart.”

Proverbs 23:26 – “My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.”

Ephesians 5:18b – “But be filled with the Spirit.”

Colossians 3:16-17 – “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”

2 Timothy 1:5 – “When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.”

3.  The Substance in Successful Parenting – Teaching unto the children the truth and wisdom of God’s Holy Word.

Deuteronomy 6:7a – “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children.”

Psalm 34:11 – “Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.”

Proverbs 4:1-13 – “Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.  For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.  For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.  He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.  Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.  Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.  She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.  Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.  I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.  When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.  Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.”

Proverbs 19:27 – “Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.”

Proverbs 23:22-23 – “Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.  Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.”

2 Timothy 3:15 – “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.”

4.  The Process of Successful Parenting – Diligently training the children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 6:7 – “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”

Ephesians 6:4b – “But bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

5.  The Authority in Successful Parenting – Commanding the children to walk in the way of the Lord after the example of the parents.

Genesis 18:19 – “For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.”

Joshua 24:15c – “But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

6.  The Discipline for Successful Parenting – Chastening the children lovingly and consistently with rebuke and rod and without sparing for their crying.

Proverbs 13:24b – “But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.”

Proverbs 19:18 – “Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.”

Proverbs 22:15 – “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.”

Proverbs 23:13-14 – “Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.  Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.”

Proverbs 29:15a – “The rod and reproof give wisdom.”

Proverbs 29:17 – “Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.”

7.  The Promise for Successful Parenting – If the children are trained up God’s way, they will walk in God’s way as adults.

Proverbs 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

8.  The Enemy to Successful Parenting – Failing to be an example of godliness both before and toward the children, and failing to be diligent and consistent in training and chastening the children.

Proverbs 13:24a – “He that spareth his rod hateth his son.”

Proverbs 29:15b – “But a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.”

Ephesians 6:4a – “And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath.”

Colossians 3:21 – “Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.”

9.  The Joy of Successful Parenting –

Proverbs 10:1a – “The proverbs of Solomon.  A wise son maketh a glad father.”

Proverbs 15:20a – “A wise son maketh a glad father.”

Proverbs 23:15-16 – “My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.  Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.”

Proverbs 23:24-25 – “The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him.  Thy father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bare thee shall rejoice.”

Proverbs 27:11 – “My son, be wise, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.”

Proverbs 29:3a – “Whoso loveth wisdom rejoiceth his father.”

Proverbs 29:17 – “Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.”

3 John 1:4 – “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.”

10.  The Grief of Unsuccessful Parenting –

Proverbs 10:1b – “But a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.”

Proverbs 15:20b – “But a foolish man despiseth his mother.”

Proverbs 17:21 – “He that begetteth a fool doeth it to his sorrow: and the father of a fool hath no joy.”

Proverbs 17:25 – “A foolish son is a grief to his father, and bitterness to her that bare him.”

Proverbs 19:13a – “A foolish son is the calamity of his father.”

Proverbs 19:26 – “He that wasteth his father, and chaseth away his mother, is a son that causeth shame, and bringeth reproach.”

Proverbs 28:7b – “But he that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.”

• Members

I very highly recommend the little booklet by J.C. Ryle entitled The Duties Of Parents. One of the things that he stresses in there is that parents need to pray with and for their children. Look at what he says about it:

"This, remember, is the first step in religion which a child is able to take. Long before he can read, you can teach him to kneel by his mother’s side, and repeat the simple words of prayer and praise which she puts in his mouth. And as the first steps in any undertaking are always the most important, so is the manner in which your children’s prayers are prayed, a point which deserves your closest attention. Few seem to know how much depends on this. You must beware lest they get into a way of saying them in a hasty, careless, and irreverent manner. You must beware of giving up the oversight of this matter to servants and nurses, or of trusting too much to your children doing it when left to themselves. I cannot praise that mother who never looks after this most important part of her child’s daily life herself. Surely if there be any habit which your own hand and eye should help in forming, it is the habit of prayer. Believe me, if you never hear your children pray yourself, you are much to blame. You are little wiser than the bird described in Job, 'which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in the dust, and forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them. She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not hers: her labour is in vain without fear' (Job 39:14-16)."

Edited by Musician4God1611

• Members
3 hours ago, Musician4God1611 said:

I very highly recommend the little booklet by J.C. Ryle entitled The Duties Of Parents. On of the things that he stresses in there is that parents need to pray with and for their children. Look at what he says about it:

"This, remember, is the first step in religion which a child is able to take. Long before he can read, you can teach him to kneel by his mother’s side, and repeat the simple words of prayer and praise which she puts in his mouth. And as the first steps in any undertaking are always the most important, so is the manner in which your children’s prayers are prayed, a point which deserves your closest attention. Few seem to know how much depends on this. You must beware lest they get into a way of saying them in a hasty, careless, and irreverent manner. You must beware of giving up the oversight of this matter to servants and nurses, or of trusting too much to your children doing it when left to themselves. I cannot praise that mother who never looks after this most important part of her child’s daily life herself. Surely if there be any habit which your own hand and eye should help in forming, it is the habit of prayer. Believe me, if you never hear your children pray yourself, you are much to blame. You are little wiser than the bird described in Job, 'which leaveth her eggs in the earth, and warmeth them in the dust, and forgetteth that the foot may crush them, or that the wild beast may break them. She is hardened against her young ones, as though they were not hers: her labour is in vain without fear' (Job 39:14-16)."

(emboldening added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Even more so, I cannot praise that FATHER "who never looks after this most important part of [his] child's daily life [himself]."

Ephesians 6:4 -- "And, ye fathers, . . . bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

Brother Middlebrooks, not at all a reproof against your above post, but a reproof against Fundamental homes in general -- Why do we so often relegate to the mother that which the Lord our God has assigned to the father?

Herein, I believe, is one of the greatest downfalls in fundamentalism concerning our training up of the next generation.