• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Forum Bible Study On 2 & 3 John

• Members

I most whole-heartedly agree with you, Pastor Markle.  Children need a Godly daddy in their lives!  These days it's pretty easy to spot those who don't have a daddy after God's own heart.  At the same time, it's also easy to spot those few who do!  Sadly too, these days....it's getting more difficult to find Godly moms.

• Members

Unfortunately, not only does society in general look down upon good Christian dads, so do many Christians. In fact, I've had more Christians give me grief over my insistence upon raising my children in accord with Scripture than non-Christians.

Our oldest son learned to read, and read well, at a young age. Along with Christian books for children I also gave him a KJB. On his own he began reading from the KJB and understanding what he was reading. Even though this was evident I had several Christians who told me how wrong it was to let him read from that "hard to read KJB". Others complained that his children's books were Christian and insisted he would be better off reading the secular books their children read.

I was a "too strict dad" because our youngest son participated in all the church activities he could and when he outgrew some of those he volunteered to be a helper where he could. Christians telling me he would be better off playing with the unsaved kids, like their children did, and enjoying being a kid. Never mind, by the grace of God, I NEVER pushed or forced him to do these things, he did them because he wanted to and felt led to.

(No, we didn't live at church and only do "church stuff", but other Christians acted as if that were the case and such was so very bad for children.)

Christian mothers actually tried to talk my wife into getting our children more involved with secular activities, which would naturally take them away from some church activities, and this they counseled she should do without even talking to me about it.

Something is "wrong with me", according to some Christians (as well as non-Christians) because I've not missed a Sunday church service since 2008 (and that was due to a severe kidney stone problem).

My wife has dealt with snarky Christian moms who didn't approve she wouldn't join them in taking our children to see movies they were taking their children to see.

Sadly, most of these peoples children are not in church now. Many ended up awash in sin after high school; a few while in high school.

Our pastor warns parents that if they don't teach their children about Christ, teach them the Word, teach and example to them the importance of salvation, attending church, Sunday school, of daily Bible reading, then the world will instruct them and lead them down the wide path to destruction.

Some listen, some don't.

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, John81 said:

Sadly, most of these peoples children are not in church now. Many ended up awash in sin after high school; a few while in high school.

Our pastor warns parents that if they don't teach their children about Christ, teach them the Word, teach and example to them the importance of salvation, attending church, Sunday school, of daily Bible reading, then the world will instruct them and lead them down the wide path to destruction.

Some listen, some don't.

Indeed, there is a significant difference in the established priorities, governing principles, daily parenting, and resulting product between godly parenting and worldly parenting.

Furthermore, I would contend that there is also a significant difference in the established priorities, governing principles, daily parenting, and resulting product between godly parenting and moral parenting.

The foundation for godly parenting is revealed in Deuteronomy 6:4-6:

1.  The Established Priority -- The father (parents) chooses the Lord Himself (His authority, His will, His service) as the priority for himself and the home.

2.  The Governing Principle -- The father (parents) disciplines himself to be a diligent student of God's Word, both as a hearer and a doer.

3.  The Daily Parenting -- The father (parents) train up the children daily and diligently in the priority of the Lord Himself and in the principles of God's Holy Word, such that they become rooted in the character and convictions of the children.

3.  The Resulting Product -- The children walk faithfully in the truth as adults.

On the other hand, the foundation for moral parenting is:

1.  The Established Priority -- The parents (whichever one is the primary leader) choose their own moral preferences for themselves and the home.

2.  The Governing Principle -- The parents (whichever one is the primary leader) learn enough of God's Word to support their own moral preferences, but are not diligent students of God's Word.

3.  The Daily Parenting -- The parents (whichever one is the primary leader) train up the children according to their own preferred moral preferences, making certain that the children submit themselves to their parental authority.

4.  The Resulting Product -- The children walk in various ways, some in the moral preferences of their parents because such is the habit that they developed, and some away from the preferences of their parents because such were never rooted as the conviction of their hearts.

In both cases, the parents definitely maintain the authority of the home.  However, in godly parenting the father (parents) does so in order to direct the hearts of the children unto the Lord Himself as their priority.  On the other hand, in moral parenting the parents (whichever one is the primary leader) do so in order to direct the hearts of the children unto the the parents themselves as the priority.

In both cases, moral principles of God's Word can be found in the home.  However, in godly parenting the father (parents) studies and teaches the whole counsel of God's Word with conviction, providing an example of faithfulness in character and conduct.  On the other hand, in moral parenting the parents (whichever one is the primary leader) maintain their moral preferences without compromise, but walk and lead in other areas according to their own selfish desires.

In both cases, the children will be fairly well behaved while they are under the parents' authority.  However, in godly parenting the children will enter adulthood with Biblical conviction rooted in their hearts, based upon a genuine understanding of Biblical teaching.  On the other hand, in moral parenting the children will enter adulthood with a strong understanding of their parents' moral preferences, but without Biblical understanding and Biblical conviction rooted in their own hearts.

• Members

There is an eternity of difference between children raised to be morally good and those raised to know Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Indeed!!!!

However, even many believing parents, who train up their children to know the Lord Jesus Christ as personal and eternal Savior, often train them up according to the pattern of moral parenting, rather than godly parenting.  In a sense, trusting the Lord as Savior is one of the basic "morals" that they would choose for themselves and their home.  Thus their children do indeed come to faith in Christ, even at a fairly early age; yet they are very often NOT grounded in the faith through their upbringing in the home (which is a terrible failure on the part of the believing parents, since they have the greatest opportunity for the discipling of their children during those years of upbringing).

• Members

Indeed!!!!

However, even many believing parents, who train up their children to know the Lord Jesus Christ as personal and eternal Savior, often train them up according to the pattern of moral parenting, rather than godly parenting.  In a sense, trusting the Lord as Savior is one of the basic "morals" that they would choose for themselves and their home.  Thus their children do indeed come to faith in Christ, even at a fairly early age; yet they are very often NOT grounded in the faith through their upbringing in the home (which is a terrible failure on the part of the believing parents, since they have the greatest opportunity for the discipling of their children during those years of upbringing).

That's a fact I've seen played out many times. The parental failure becomes clear when these malnourished young Christians go off to secular college and dress and lifestyle comes to mimic the world since they were not firmly grounded in the faith.

I would heartily recommend to every couple, everyone considering getting married and every parent to read "God's Wisdom for Marriage and the Home" by Pastor Scott Markle. This is an excellent book saturated with Scripture (KJB!), not man's opinions.

• Members

Over the past few days, I have been pondering on this matter of godly parenting.  Herein I wish to present some of those "ponderings."

I fear that many Christian parents possess the wrong primary objective for their daily parenting.  Godly parenting is indeed a matter of daily diligence; however, that daily diligence must be administered toward the correct objective.  So then, what is the primary objective for the daily diligence of godly parenting?  It is not first and foremost an educating process.  It is not first and foremost a socializing process.  It is not first and foremost an enabling process.  It is not first and foremost a disciplining process.  It is not first and foremost a providing process.  It is not first and foremost a protecting process.  Rather, godly parenting is first and foremost a spiritual discipling process.  We believing parents, especially we believing fathers, must from the first day and throughout every day be diligent to disciple our children in the truth of God's Word unto godliness of character.  When we are failing at this, we are failing in the process godly parenting.

Ephesians 6:4 -- "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 -- "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

As for myself, the Lord our God has blessed me with two boys, with the older now being twenty years of age and with the younger now being fifteen years of age.  If these two young men do not enter adulthood to walk in the truth and do not continue therein with faithfulness, I shall certainly view myself as having failed in my parenting responsibility before the Lord my God.

• Members

It is now time in our Bible study to set our focus upon the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John.

As we begin, we find that 2 John is written in the common pattern of that day, including the salutation (2 John 1:1-3), the message (2 John 1:4-11), and the conclusion (2 John 1:12-13).  Then as we narrow our focus further, we find that the opening salutation is also written in the common pattern of that time, including the author, the recipients, and the greeting.  Yet we also find that the apostle John provided a more expanded presentation concerning the recipients.  However, even before we set our focus upon this expanded presentation, we take notice of the opening line itself -- "The elder unto the elect lady and her children."  With this line we are moved to consider the relationships unto which we are introduced by the opening salutation.  I myself would present these relationships as follows:

1.  The Relationship of Spiritual Respect -- "The elder"

2.  The Relationship of Eternal Security -- "The elect lady"

3.  The Relationship of Successful Parenting -- "And her children" (See also 2 John 1:4)

4.  The Relationship of Godly Love -- "Whom I love in the truth"

5.  The Relationship of Christian Unity -- "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

6.  The Relationship of Righteous Testimony -- "For the truth's sake"

7.  The Relationship of Divine Indwelling -- "Which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"

First, with this in mind I would present the next set of Bible study questions:

2.  What edificational and exhorational thoughts would you share concerning these relationships?

Concerning the Relationship of Godly Love – "Whom I love in the truth"

In 2 John 1:1 the apostle John indicated that he loved both “the elect lady and her children,” and that he possessed this love for them in the realm of “the truth.”  Even so, with this indication the apostle moves our attention unto the relationship of godly love between believers one for another.

1.  The Realm of Godly Love for One Another

1 Corinthians 16:24 – “My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.”

Philippians 1:9 – “And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment.”

2 John 1:1 – “The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth.”

3 John 1:1 – “The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.”

2.  The Requirement of Godly Love for One Another

John 13:34 – “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.”

John 15:12 – “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.”

John 15:17 – “These things I command you, that ye love one another.”

Romans 13:8 – “Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.”

1 Corinthians 16:14 – “Let all your things be done with charity.”

Ephesians 5:2 – “And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.”

Philippians 1:9 – “And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment.”

Colossians 3:14 – “And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.”

1 Thessalonians 4:9-10 – “But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.  And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more.”

1 Timothy 1:5 – “Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.”

1 Peter 1:22 – “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently.”

1 Peter 4:8 – “And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.”

1 John 3:11 – “For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.”

1 John 3:23 – “And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”

1 John 4:7 – “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.”  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.”

1 John 4:21 – “And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.”

2 John 1:5 – “And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.”

3.  The Motivation of Godly Love for One Another

1 John 3:16 – “Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”

1 John 4:9-11 – “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.”

4.  The Standard of Godly Love for One Another

John 13:34b – “. . . As I have loved you, that ye also love one another.”

John 15:12 – “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.”

Ephesians 5:2 – “And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.”

1 John 3:16 – “Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”

5.  The Source of Godly Love for One Another

Galatians 5:22-23 – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”

1 Thessalonians 3:12 – “And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you.”

2 Timothy 1:7 – “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

6.  The Spirituality of Godly Love for One Another

1 John 2:10-11 – “He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.  But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.”

1 John 3:14 – “We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.  He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.”

1 John 4:7-8 – “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.”

1 John 4:12 – “No man hath seen God at any time.  If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.”

1 John 4:16 – “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us.  God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.”

1 John 4:20 – “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

1 John 5:1 – “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”

7.  The Character of Godly Love for One Another

Romans 12:9a – “Let love be without dissimulation.”

Romans 13:10 – “Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.”

Ephesians 4:2 – “With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love.”

1 Timothy 1:5 – “Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned.”

1 Peter 1:22 – “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently.”

1 Peter 4:8 – “And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.”

8.  The Edifying of Godly Love for One Antother

1 Corinthians 8:1b – “Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.”

Ephesians 4:15-16 – “But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.”

9.  The Forgiveness of Godly Love for One Another

2 Corinthians 2:7-8 – “So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.  Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.”

Philemon 1:9-10 – “Yet for love’s sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.  I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds.”

10.  The Sacrifice of Godly Love for One Another

2 Corinthians 12:15 – “And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved.”

11.  The Reality of Godly Love for One Another

2 Corinthians 8:8 – “I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.”

2 Corinthians 8:24 – “Wherefore shew ye to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love, and of our boasting on your behalf.”

Galatians 5:13 – “For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.”

Philemon 1:7 – “For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.”

1 John 3:17-18 – “But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.”

3 John 1:5-6 – “Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well.”

12.  The Testimony of Godly Love for One Another

John 13:35 – “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

It is now time in our Bible study to set our focus upon the doctrinal and edificational details of 2 John.

As we begin, we find that 2 John is written in the common pattern of that day, including the salutation (2 John 1:1-3), the message (2 John 1:4-11), and the conclusion (2 John 1:12-13).  Then as we narrow our focus further, we find that the opening salutation is also written in the common pattern of that time, including the author, the recipients, and the greeting.  Yet we also find that the apostle John provided a more expanded presentation concerning the recipients.  However, even before we set our focus upon this expanded presentation, we take notice of the opening line itself -- "The elder unto the elect lady and her children."  With this line we are moved to consider the relationships unto which we are introduced by the opening salutation.  I myself would present these relationships as follows:

1.  The Relationship of Spiritual Respect -- "The elder"

2.  The Relationship of Eternal Security -- "The elect lady"

3.  The Relationship of Successful Parenting -- "And her children" (See also 2 John 1:4)

4.  The Relationship of Godly Love -- "Whom I love in the truth"

5.  The Relationship of Christian Unity -- "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

6.  The Relationship of Righteous Testimony -- "For the truth's sake"

7.  The Relationship of Divine Indwelling -- "Which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"

First, with this in mind I would present the next set of Bible study questions:

2.  What edification and exhorational thoughts would you share concerning these relationships?

Concerning the Relationship of Christian Unity – "And not I only, but also all they that have known the truth"

In 2 John 1:1 the apostle John expressed his godly love for “the elect lady and her children, saying, “Whom I love in the truth.”  Then as he continued, the apostle indicated that “the elect lady and her children” were also loved with such a godly love by others, saying, “Whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth.”  With this concluding phrase of the verse, the apostle extends the principle and relationship of godly love to encompass all those who were walking in the truth.  Even so, herein the apostle builds the principle and relationship of Christian unity upon the principle and relationship of godly love.

1.  The Prayer for Christian Unity

John 17:20-23 – “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.  And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

Romans 15:5-6 – “Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: that ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

2.  The Standard for Christian Unity – Being in unity with God our heavenly Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

John 17:21-23 – “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.  And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

Romans 15:2-7 – “Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.  For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.  Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: that ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.”

Ephesians 4:13 – “Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.”

Philippians 2:5-8 – “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”

Philippians 3:8-16 – “Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.  Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.”

1 John 1:1-3 – “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) that which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.”

Note: This is the very reason that we also follow the Biblical principle of separation from some fellow believers.

Romans 16:17-18 – “Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.  For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.”

1 Corinthians 5:6-8 – “Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?  Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened.  For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.”

2 Thessalonians 3:6 – “Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.”

2 Thessalonians 3:14 – “And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.”

1 Timothy 6:3-5 – “If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.”

Titus 3:10-11 – “A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.”

3 John 1:9-11 – “I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.  Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.  Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.”

Revelation 2:2 – “I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars.”

Revelation 2:6 – “But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.”

3.  The Means for Christian Unity – The guidance of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

John 17:22 – “And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.”

Ephesians 4:3 – “With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

Philippians 2:1-2 – “If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.”

4.  The Foundation for Christian Unity

Romans 12:5 – “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

1 Corinthians 12:12-13 – “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.  For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.”

Galatians 3:27-28 – “For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.  There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”

Ephesians 2:14-22 – “For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; and that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: and came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.  For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”

Ephesians 4:4-6 – “There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”

5.  The Command for Christian Unity

Romans 12:16 – “Be of the same mind one toward another.  Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate.  Be not wise in your own conceits.”

Romans 15:2 – “Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.”

Romans 15:7 – “Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.”

1 Corinthians 1:10 – “Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.”

Ephesians 4:1-3 – “I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

Philippians 1:27 – “Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.”

Philippians 2:1-2 – “If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.”

Philippians 3:16 – “Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.”

Philippians 4:2 – “I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.”

1 Peter 3:8-12 – “Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.  For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.  For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.”

6.  The Enemy of Christian Unity.

Romans 12:16 – “Be of the same mind one toward another.  Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate.  Be not wise in your own conceits.”

1 Corinthians 3:3 – “For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?”

Galatians 5:26 – “Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.”

Philippians 2:3-4 – “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.  Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.”

James 4:1 – “From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?”

1 Peter 3:8 – “Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing.”

7.  The Purpose for Christian Unity

John 17:21 – “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”

John 17:23 – “I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

Romans 15:6 – “That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Ephesians 4:16 – “From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.”

Philippians 1:27 – “Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.”

1 John 1:4 – “And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.”

• Members

To those who are still in the audience for this thread and who are still paying attention to the postings of this thread (if there are any),

For the above presentation on "Christian unity," I did a type of "quick" reading over the entirety of the New Testament (which is the reason that it took so long for its preparation and presentation, since my last Bible study posting herein).  Even so, I spent a bit of time meditating upon the doctrine of Christian unity over this past month.  Within that meditation a thought came to mind concerning the emphasis that we place upon some Biblical doctrines over other Biblical doctrines.

Concerning the doctrine of Christian unity, we find passages in John, Romans, 1 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, Titus, James, 1 Peter, 1 John, and Revelation.  So then, for an example of my thoughts -- How much Biblical material is in the New Testament concerning the doctrine of Christian unity in our relationships, and comparatively how much Biblical material is in the New Testament concerning the doctrine of godly modesty in our attire?  Now, please do not misunderstand -- I believe that if there is even just one passage of Scripture concerning a matter, then we should follow the precepts and principles of that passage with faithful obedience.  However, if God's Word presents (let us say) 5 times as much doctrinal material on one subject than on another subject, should not we also place equally as much more emphasis on the first subject than on the second (unless, perchance, we have no real problems in the area of the first subject)?

Just thinking "out loud" here -- first, in a very general sense; and second, in more specific relationship to the doctrine of Christian unity.

What think ye?

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle